anyone have kale recipes or ideas what to make???

Options
I got some kale in the fridge and want to make something with it. ( vegetarian or vegan friendly plz)

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In a skillet cook some onions and garlic with a little bit of oil. Add the kale and some water. Cook on low heat to lightly steam.
    Kale works nicely in any soup, spaghetti sauce, or chili.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can also use it instead of pasta if you are making lasagna. Maybe steam it lightly beforehand so the leaves are softer.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    sprinkle it with salt and lightly spray it with oil and bake it in the oven until crispy, mmmmm!
  • pinupdreams
    pinupdreams Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like it mixed up in scrambled eggs for breakfast. Tonight I cooked some in a pan with olive oil, onions and other misc. veggies, doused it all in sriarcha, and it was super good.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    In a skillet cook some onions and garlic with a little bit of oil. Add the kale and some water. Cook on low heat to lightly steam.

I add white beans at the end, too :-)
  • ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I really like it mixed up in scrambled eggs for breakfast. Tonight I cooked some in a pan with olive oil, onions and other misc. veggies, doused it all in sriarcha, and it was super good.

So much yes. Best way to eat kale hands down. I don't even eat eggs now without pan frying up some kale/babyspinach leaves to add in.
  • RichardHeadley
    Options
    Here's a yummy recipe that you can try.

Ingredients
    For the salad
    1 cup pomegranate seeds
    2 cups chopped baby kale
    2 cups cooked wild rice (you can use leftover rice or buy precooked)
    1/4 cup toasted walnuts
    1/4 cup feta cheese

For the dressing
    1/2 cup minced onion or shallot
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 squeeze lemon or orange juice

Instructions
    Prep the salad ingredients (chop, rinse, toast, etc). Chill the ingredients in the fridge while you're making the dressing if you want a cold salad.

Mince the shallot or onion and saute in ½ tablespoons olive oil to reduce the bite. When soft and fragrant, remove from heat and transfer to a food processor. (If you want a stronger flavor for your dressing, skip the sauteing altogether. The shallot in particular works well for this.)

Pulse the onions or shallot with the remaining olive oil, water, honey, apple cider vinegar, salt, and orange juice until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust. Add additional olive oil or water to keep the mixture moving through the food processor.
    Toss the salad ingredients together with the dressing just before serving. I prefer to serve this at room temperature or chilled slightly.
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks all for the awesome ideas. Now im getting hungry lol
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I recently made stuffed peppers and had kale in them and it was delicious! And I am not normally a fan of kale or peppers lol

I don't have an exact recipe, so feel free to alter this...
    I sauteed veggies - I think i had mushrooms, kale, onion, garlic, maybe carrots?, tomatos.
    Added that to cooked quinoa
    Added in some soy cheese & some general seasoning
    Stuffed it in a green pepper and cooked for about 30 minutes

Really good!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Garlic Lover’s Kale Salad

Ingredients

1 bunch Kale, de-stemmed and chopped (about 4 cups)
    2 tablespoons Tahini
    2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
    2 tablespoons fresh Lemon Juice
    2 tablespoons Liquid Aminos or Tamari (can be found at specialty grocers)
    4 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
    2 teaspoons Garlic, minced
    Directions

Break or cut kale into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl.

Puree all ingredients except kale in a blender or food processor to blend the dressing.

Pour dressing over kale and massage into the kale with your hands until all pieces of kale are coated.

Let the salad sit in the fridge for an hour or so to marinate. You can skip this step if you need to eat right away, but allowing some time to marinate will wilt the kale a bit and make it a little more palatable.

Nutrition Information

Serves: 4 | Serving Size: 1 cup

Per serving: Calories: 100; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 524mg; Total Carbohydrates: 9g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 7g

Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 344mg; Vitamin A: 133%; Vitamin C: 141%; Calcium: 10%; Iron: 9%
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Marinated Kale, White Bean, and Tomato Salad

Prep time
    20 mins
    Cook time
    5 mins
    Total time
    25 mins

Serves: 6 (about 1 cup each)
    Ingredients
    SALAD
    ½ lb. pre-washed and chopped kale (or one large bunch)
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    ¼ cup water
    1 lb. ripe tomatoes
    1 (15 oz.) can white beans (navy, cannellini, etc.)
    LEMON GARLIC DRESSING
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    2 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    ½ tsp dried oregano
    ½ tsp salt
    Freshly cracked pepper
    Instructions
    Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the washed and chopped kale, along with ¼ cup of water to help it steam. Cook and stir the kale for 3-5 minutes, or just until it has wilted and is soft, but still vibrant green in color. Use tongs to transfer the kale to a bowl (leaving any remaining water behind). Let the kale cool in the refrigerator as you prepare the rest of the salad.
    Empty the can of beans into a colander and rinse well under cool running water. Allow the excess water to drain from the beans. Dice the tomatoes.
    To make the dressing, combine the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and a healthy dose of freshly cracked pepper. Set the dressing aside.
    Once the kale has cooled slightly, add the rinsed and drained beans, diced tomatoes, and dressing. Toss the ingredients together until everything is evenly combined and coated in dressing. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat. Give the salad a good stir to redistribute the dressing before serving.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love kale...last night I made a ragu with chickpeas, kale, diced tomatoes and cod. Any white fish will do. Also Kale and red cabbage salad with dried cranberries pumpkin seeds and what ever else you like in a salad...topped off with your favorite vinaigrette! Or soup...so many ways to use it! Enjoy!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    massaged kale and mango salad.

put your kale in a bowl add some lemon juice, olive oil and salt and massage the kale for a few minutes to break down and soften the leaves.
    Dice up a mango and add to the kale.
    Make your dressing: mix honey, lemon juice and some pepper, whisk in some olive oil and pour over salad and add some pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) and toss

I don't use a recipe or measurements, but I know they are online.
  • lavenderphoenix
    lavenderphoenix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This recipe is my go-to base (and is one of the many reasons I have 2 dwarf meyer lemon trees) - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lacinato-Kale-and-Ricotta-Salata-Salad-236940

I've either omitted the cheese or switched it up to mozz or feta or fontina. I've also added things like roasted butternut squash cubes, sundried tomatoes, roasted beets, roasted peppers....pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for/have on hand.

If you want to go next-level with your kale salad, give it a massage (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/how-to-massage-kale_n_1601200.html)
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

This is my favorite too. If you like it spicy, some chopped jalapeno or red pepper flakes are good in this too.
  • Ainevethe
    Ainevethe Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas here! You're all reminding me to grab more kale!

I have to second the kale chips idea. Bake them with whatever seasonings you love and they have a really satisfying crunch to them. they are expensive in the store (though delicious) but incredibly easy to make at home.
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    for kale chips is it 350F and how many mins?
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    mmm thx so much

This recipe is my go-to base (and is one of the many reasons I have 2 dwarf meyer lemon trees) - http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lacinato-Kale-and-Ricotta-Salata-Salad-236940

I've either omitted the cheese or switched it up to mozz or feta or fontina. I've also added things like roasted butternut squash cubes, sundried tomatoes, roasted beets, roasted peppers....pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for/have on hand.

If you want to go next-level with your kale salad, give it a massage (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18/how-to-massage-kale_n_1601200.html)
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    thank you all soooosooo much! if u got any more ideas let me know.. so i can keep buying KALE!
  • babybellyfat
    Options
    anyone have any low fat kale tomato soup recipe?