Ruby Tuesday's: Good Eating Out Choice

Options
So after the gym today, I didn't feel like coming home and going through the hassle of making myself a meal. So I decided to try to figure out where I could go out to eat and not be completely unhealthy. Most restaurant food is loaded with calories and sodium, usually over a days worth for both of them for the average meal, often times more. I looked up Ruby Tuesday's nutritional info before I went out to eat, and was very pleasantly surprised by what I saw. A lot of their regular courses were loaded with calories and sodium, like most restaurant food, but they had a great selection of healthy choices that were low in calories and manageable on sodium (as low as you're going to get in a restaurant).

I ended up getting the Creole Catch with a side of the White Cheddar Mashed Potatoes and Steamed Broccoli. It came out to 450 calories, which is about as good as you'll find for a sit down restaurant. They have a pretty wide range of selections for healthy eating too. So next time you find yourself in a situation where you need to eat out, consider going to Ruby Tuesdays. With some proper planning beforehand, you can eat out without destroying your diet.

Their nutritional info is here: http://www.rubytuesday.com/assets/menu/pdf/informational/nutrition.pdf. The Ruby Tuesday's Smart Eating Choices are where most of the good choices are.

Replies

• schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Plus the salad bar is the best ever! :smile:
  • lizf02
    lizf02 Posts: 41
    Options
    Applebee's under 550 calorie menu is awesome too, they have a variety of entres and they are flavorfull too. Doesn't seem like they are low cal! I usually treat myself once a week as a reward if I had a good weigh in and applebees has been my top choice lately. I've never been to ruby Tuesday I may have to check them out now :)
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Ruby Tuesday in 2005 and the food was really awful and heavy. Even the salad bar food seemed to weigh me down.

Good to know they've improved.
  • paroxysm
    Options
    Applebee's under 550 calorie menu is awesome too, they have a variety of entres and they are flavorfull too. Doesn't seem like they are low cal! I usually treat myself once a week as a reward if I had a good weigh in and applebees has been my top choice lately. I've never been to ruby Tuesday I may have to check them out now :)

OMG I loooooove Applebee's Cajun Lime Tilapia!!! It clocks in at 310 calories and tastes like sheer heaven. It comes w/ a side of veggies has a black bean/corn salsa on top and is on a bed of rice pilaf. It even has 9g of fiber (I keep track of my fiber so that's a bonus!)

There are other options also that are awesome at Applebees- look for there "under 550" and their "weightwatchers" options.
    Nutritional info is here (be sure to see "includes sides" if it doesn't you have to figure those separately- all the under 550 and weightwatchers include sides) http://www.applebees.com/downloads/nutritional_info.html
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Still has lots of sodium but every once in a while it is fine
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I love Ruby Tuesday's salad bar. I can really pile on a lot of healthy low-cal veggies, and just a smidge of some of the not-so-healthy favorite things, and it is WONDERFUL! I usually don't choose salads at restaurants (I am a sandwich & fries lover) but this is one place I do. I usually get one of the healthier entries, and just eat a little bit. I take it home and have it for lunch - sometimes for TWO days. Can't beat it!