Suggestions for another 700 calories/day

Options
Hi there,

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle, from 148lbs to 155 pounds, over the next few months. My target net calorie intake is 2,500 to reach my ideal weight; however, at the end of the day (and eating a lot) I'm still 700 calories short.

Do you have any suggestions on a high calorie, yet healthy, afternoon snack?

Thank you.

Replies

• Jschrolms
    Jschrolms Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of things to do, depending on when your workout is, if you want an afternoon snack that is about and hour or 2 before your workout.
    Get Brown Rice for Low GI carbs (can buy in a quick cup pack which has 125g per serve)
    Piece of Chicken Breast ( Pre Cooked from the night before)
    Any form of low sugar sauce to go with and that will get you another 500 or so calories
  • DrikusO
    DrikusO Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Consider buying a good mass-gainer supplement. These supplements are easily mixed and contain the perfect ratio of macro nutrients for muscle building. There are plenty out there and they usually have about 550 calories per serving, mixed with 400ml Fat Free Milk gives you the perfect 700 calories you are looking for. Adding this to your existing meal plan should be easy.

I have too consume 2600 calories to gain 0.5kg per week and it was also difficult for me to eat that much, especially since you have to eat healthy, and I usually fell 800 calories short. I supplemented my diet with a muscle mass gainer shake and have seen great results.
  • learningSL
    Options
    Raw almonds. 100g is 576 calories, 49g of fat, 22g of carb (12g fibre), and 21g of protein.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can make a protein shake. I made one that is about 1400 calories. It makes 2 servings so its perfect.

1.5 cup, Milk - Reduced fat, 2% milkfat
    1.0 oz(s), Light & Fit Yogurt - Vanilla
    3.0 tbsp, Peanut Butter Creamy 2tbsp
    1.0 tbsp, Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    1.0 banana, 1 Med
    1.0 cup slices, Apples - Raw, without skin
    4.0 tbsp(s), Syrups - Chocolate, fudge-type
    1.0 Scoop, Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder - Chocolate Peanut Butter
    2.0 oz(s), Old Fashioned Oatmeal

Protein 68g Carb 168g Fat 47g

This is just my preference and it fits perfectly with my needs. Fee free to make your own. I JUST made this in the recipe section. Calvin's New PB Smoothie if you can search it. Don't dog me on the macros or anything. Hope this helps
  • kylefoxk612
    Options
    I am very active with weight gaining, running and swimming so i have to be averaging 3.2k calories, my stomache cant hold that much food. So like some have said, shakes are by far the best, for people who dont know, if you want to put the weight ob dont go for the highest calorie foods, eat healthy i.e olive oil 100g/843cal.
    For my shakes,

Peanut butter - 50g/331cal
    Brambles - 50g/22cal
    Oats - 100g/389
    Milk - 150g/70cals
    Olive oil - 50g/412cals
    Whey protein - 25g/100cals

Total- 1314 cals

I love olive oil so for those who dont i suggest 10grams.
    But all fats are healthy to but you can mix it up also half it etc

If you just eat bags of nuts for high calories your body will burn it fast and for when you do exercise or even sleep it want have slow releasing carbs to keep your body going, also do not use weight gainer powder there more or less 100% sugar.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Eat fat. It's not rocket science.
  • albdusty
    albdusty Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hemp seeds: 100 g = 621 cals, 30 g of protein, lots of omega 3, 6 and 9, potassium, very low on carbs.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Milk, bread, almonds, peanut butter, steak, potatoes, ice cream, pizza...plenty of great options to pick up an extra 700 cal/day :bigsmile:

Mass gainers seem like a pretty expensive way to purchase maltodextrin and whey.
  • vardanr
    Options
    If u r indian.. Then just eat 2 vadapaavs.. One vadapav will give u whipping 400 cal..
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Beer. Pizza. Peanut butter.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest drinking more calories, as they are much less filling then solid ones.
    (Juice, milk, protein shakes, smoothies, weight gain shakes, etc)
    Try adding olive oil to soups, sauces, salads
    handful of nuts and seeds throughout the day
    avoid diet, low fat, and lite foods
    peanut butter
    ice cream
    full fat dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Peanut butta jelly time!!!!
  • Brolympus
    Brolympus Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    There are about 500 calories in a protein shake made with skim milk. It takes about 1 minute to drink it. That should be your added meal.

I would also add, that you should make that protein shake a casein shake and take it directly before bedtime if you aren't already doing so. Super important to remain in an anabolic state the entire time you are asleep when trying to build muscle, casein is much slower digesting than whey.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ice cream + oreos = over 500 calories.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Trail mix. My favorite is mixed nuts, raisins and chocolate chips. Those calories add up fast.
    Greek yogurt with granola
    hard boiled egg, tomato and avocado salad (mix with a little oil and vinegar)
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    FAT BOMBS: Raw Virgin Coconut Oil, Natural Peanut Butter, Unsweetened Cocoa, and a little Splenda. Freeze in cubes and nom when you need to increase calories and healthy fats/protein at any point. There are many recipes for it online :)
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Couple slices of pizza.
  • Negative_X
    Negative_X Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm trying to gain weight/muscle, from 148lbs to 155 pounds, over the next few months. My target net calorie intake is 2,500 to reach my ideal weight; however, at the end of the day (and eating a lot) I'm still 700 calories short.

Do you have any suggestions on a high calorie, yet healthy, afternoon snack?

Thank you.

As long as you're hitting 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight... and you have enough carbs for the day.

I personally make up any caloric deficit w/ natural, no sugar added, peanut butter. (or almond butter) Your body will appreciate the extra fat.

Keep it simple.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Avocado, Baby
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    protein shake is a quick way to drink a lot of calories and protein