sugar craving

Options
Is there anyone that has any ideas on how I can stop craving sugar so much? please dont say more exercise thats not going to help me lol

Replies

• shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Unless there is a medical reason or personal aversion, I'd eat what you're craving, but in moderation that fits your calorie goal, of course. For me, it's the deprivation that really get my cravings in an uproar.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I dont go over my calories which is a good thing, and I dont deprive myself. I just want to eat less of the sugary "junk" foods. sometimes I overdo it and I hate doing that. I want to be able to NOT eat as much of it as I do(not counting natural sugar)
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    As a long time diabetic, I used to be in a very vicious cycle of craving all sorts.
    It wasn't till about 2 n half years ago when I found out my high sugars were basically making me blind, and was told, get it sorted like yesterday or it lazer treatments.

Well with that I freaked out, and told myself to forget anything I had ever learnt or been told about diabetes and start from the ground up.

Now I can honestly say, it is not about cutting out carbs, or sugars or any of the fad diets, tried them all and non of them helped me.

Here is what I did to get myself off the sugar craving cycle ASAP.

1st: pick your top 3 foods that would really drive you nuts if you had to give them up
    2nd: pick your top 3 drinks.
    3rd: look at both full carbs and carbs that sugar if your in the uk/europe, or full carbs and net carbs if your in the USA.
    A carb is a carb, be it fast release or slow release or natural or man made or fibre, they all carbs and all get turned to sugar at end of the day.

So, if your in the usa, read this to work out your carbs, someone already explained it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/625437-total-carbs-vs-net-carbs

Since i'm in the UK, my method goes like this.

Overall carbs is 1spoon of sugar per 12g of overall carbs, but they slow release so it boosts you but doesnt spike your blood sugar levels and give you cravings.

carbs that sugar i class as 1g = 1 spoon of sugar and they fast acting.

Now many will disagree with me on this and most I can say is it works fantastic for me and has done for almost 3 years now.
    Avoid drinks that take a lot of milk, or foods like cereals, though they have many good things in them, They no better than drinking a can of full sugar cola, they loaded up with sugared carbs.

330ml glass of milk, around 14g of carbs, carbs that sugar... 14g, so to me as a diabetic that be 14 spoons of sugar per glass.
    Actually milk is ok if it just a little drop here and there in tea/coffee, it's when you have more than that at one time it really gives ya sugar cravings a good old kick start.

Some breads can be just as bad, but if like me you just cant give up bread, asda do a gorgeous seeded pitta bread with oatmeal in it.
    very low sugar, and it super tasty, and it can be freezed too, and is far more filling as well.

What you need to do is, eat foods and drink drinks that have almost zero sugared carbs in them, can have overall carbs, but as little sugared carbs as possible.

Then you get a nice long steady release of energy and help ween yourself from the cravings over a month period.

Lots of meats. though careful of meats marinaded in bbq sauce, and sweet chilli etc.

1 other thing I noticed in my journey to perfect diabetic control was processed meats....
    My nemesis, I love my ham, and always thought virtually no carbs am safe with that, but actually, being processed, after a while it increased my cravings for sugars, not 100% sure why, but it did.

But rice, new potatoes (small little hard ones), be careful of pasta/wheat based products, some people have an intolerance to them and though normally quite good for you can cause you to really crave sugars after eating them.

So to sum up:
    Carbs = fine
    carbs that sugar = extremely bad
    Wheat based foods = Eat in moderation
    Oats = really good
    No added sugar = 50/50 some are ok, some extremely bad always check labels.
    If one of fave foods/drinks loaded with sugared carbs, make it a treat once a week, don't give it up completely, or you will crave it a 1000 times more.
    Plenty of sleep. lack of sleep creates bad cravings for bad everything, as ya want to feel better, like a junky craving their next fix.

Hope that helps.
  • KellyM0102
    KellyM0102 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Evaluate your current diet - numerous studies have come out in the past few years which suggest that consumption of foods and drinks with artificial sweeteners may increase your craving for sweets. Here's the summary:
    The pleasure we get from sweet treats is the result of a chemical called dopamine, which is released in the brain when sugar is consumed and is linked to a feeling of reward.
    Artificial sweeteners and other low-calorie options do not cause the same reaction, leaving dieters with their craving – and making them far more likely to binge on sugar later on.
    ‘[Our discovery] implies that humans frequently ingesting low-calorie sweet products in a state of hunger may be more likely to 'relapse' and choose high-calorie alternatives in the future,’ said Professor Ivan de Araujo, who led the study at Yale University’s School of Medicine.
    Rather than starve yourself of sugar, he said, it is better to consume very small amounts, tricking the brain into producing a pleasure response.

The steady release of dopamine will prevent cravings from building up

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2429655/Why-sweeteners-INCREASE-sugar-craving-They-tickle-taste-buds-fool-brain-producing-pleasure-response.html#ixzz3EHqqAE9F
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • RaceB
    RaceB Posts: 18
    Options
    This article is a bit long...but it's about the Marshmallow Test, if you remember that. Was done in the 1950's. It is, in essence, reinforcing what you probably already know, the key is discipline. He talks about techniques such as imaging a cockroach just crawled across the cupcake you want to get.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/opinion/sunday/learning-self-control.html?src=me&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Most Emailed&pgtype=article

Now that said, I believe if you need to eat something, eat it. Tomorrow will be better, and if you are tracking yourself on here and making the effort...which you clearly are, a bit of a divergence is ok. My 2 cents.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input. I dont consume ANY artificial sugar as it gives me bad headaches and its not healthy. I can do without bread most of the time. I will eat a whole grain,spinach or tomato wrap when I have them instead. I can most of the time leave pop(soda).my biggest weakness lately is brownies,ice cream or sometimes candy lol. I try to quell the cravings with foods with natural sugars but sometimes that doesnt help.

I try to get enough protein so I feel full and wont want to eat "junk" but sometimes its a no go.I am not diabetic thankfully. I get checked every 6 months or so due to taking different meds that I have to have regular blood work for. I have tried the discipline part but I have little to no willpower most of the time.I dont consume much milk or cereal either. I try to use almond milk but sometimes over half of the carton goes to waste because I dont use it enough.I wont deprive myself but I would like to cut down and I am trying but its also hard when you have others in the house who wont eat healthier.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what works for me. It seems radical and unnecessary to most people, but I've given up sweets entirely because, "Peace of mind is so much sweeter than a piece of cake!" I literally don't have any peace of mind if I'm eating even a moderate sweet treat once in a while. The sugar in my system (or something not yet discovered) causes me to obsess about sweets frequently. It's very bothersome, and it takes so much energy to summon up will power twenty times a day that I find it EASIER to go sugar free.

It really doesn't matter what any one else believes, you need to do what's right for you. If you do decide to give up sugar, be prepared for what might be a very difficult few days, with intense hunger pangs, headaches and restlessness. They are temporary, and when they are gone, so are the cravings for sweets.

A little extra protein, fiber and water helps during and after adjusting to sugar free.

Someone said that sugar boosts dopamine. I've never heard that (I thought it boosted serotonin) but I know that protein boosts dopamine, especially the amino acid tyrosine. It's found in lean chicken, turkey, egg whites, beans, low fat cottage cheese and pumpkin seeds. Dopamine is your friend on a diet because it helps moderate your appetite. Too much serotonin can make you feel lazy and sleepy.

The natural sweetener Stevia is believed to regulate blood sugar, while the consumption of artificial sweeteners has been shown to spike then drop blood sugar. Stable blood sugar means fewer urges to eat.

I hope you're able to find the answers you're looking for.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above.
    Giving up sugars entirely isn't easy to do but once you've done it the cravings stop and that's way better.
    Lean grass fed protein, healthy fats, tons of veggies, nuts, seeds, berries, limited fruit. That's what works for me.

What most people fail to mention is that sugar cravings have absolutely nothing to do with hunger. So while high protein and healthy fats keep you full it's not a solution to fight off those cravings.

Eliminating it was the only thing that worked for me.

Fake sugar like sugarless gum and fake sweetners don't work because you're tricking your brain into thinking sugar is coming... that will only make the cravings worse.

Good luck.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always make room for a sweet, everyday. Everything in moderation.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i never really had a sweet tooth, i was more of a salt girl. but i did like brownies and chocolate. what worked for me is stopping altogether. i wanted honey buns and do-nuts BAD as soon as i stopped, but after a few days, the cravings went away. now i can pass them no problem.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I doubt whether i could give up sugar altogether, but i do try to buy more things with less Sugar in them.
    For example, instead of say buying a Flapjack with 12g of sugar, i buy a Cereal Bar with 4g of sugar.
    I still have the occasional Doughnut, Bounty Bar or Cherry Bakewell, but not too frequently.
  • Elimi88
    Elimi88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Honestly I had this exact same problem! I always craved chocolate and I could eat a whole slab of chocolate (and more) just because I was craving it!! What really really helped me actually were protein shakes... Weirdly enough, I have a Chocolate flavor protein shake in the morning with fat free greek Yoghurt. The one I drink is 'Her Shape' by 4dnUSA because it is only 80 calories, 1g carb and 1g sugar! and it tastes DELICIOUS because it's exactly like a chocolate milkshake! (I don't know how because it's low sugar but hey it works for me) I have really noticed my sugar and junk food craving have significantly reduced!!
  • BonjourChristina
    Options
    I have a serious sweet tooth but have learned to overcome it by restricting quantity not quality. I tend to crave particular things, it's not just "I want something sweet right now" it's always something specific like a candy or ice-cream or chocolate and so on. So replacing it with an apple or the likes won't work for me, because it's not just the sugar that I crave it's the taste of that particular food. What worked for me was limiting the quantities of these sweets - gradually of course. It took me about one month. Now I can do with 4 squares of my favorite chocolate I don't feel tempted to eat the whole bar (that would be 24 squares) The most important thing to me is satisfying the crave fast because the longer I torment myself the higher the risk I'll crash and binge.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My two favorite snacks for taking care of a sugar cravings are Special K chocolately pretzel cereal bar and Fiber one strawberry streusel bar. The first one is 90 cals and the second is 150 cal (I don't eat it as much because it's a little higher in calories than what I usually want to spend). They are both REALLY good. When it's in season for me watermelon is a great choice as well or sometimes just a tootsie roll or two. Don't deprive yourself just have some in moderation.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey for like a month, replacing all sweet cravings with fruits/fruit smoothies, started eating all whole foods/low GI foods and the craving for sweet stuff went away. Now, it's just once in a blue moon that I get the craving but even then, I feel like I can live without it. This might be a little too extreme for most people but I like how I actually have self control now over the dessert table at my work's potluck which is to me, a success.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    thanks everyone. I have tried cutting it out completely and I can go for like a week and then its back full force. maybe I am craving the taste more than the sugar.I mean some days I dont have many sweets if at all and other days its a lot. But I still make sure I dont overdo it too much because then I feel the effects of it and its not good. I guess I have a little control. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to try and be more mindful about it. It helped me figure out why I was craving something (or wanting to eat)--was it an emotional thing or related to some kind of trigger or was it genuine hunger (or hunger for that particular food).

I used to crave sweet or salty things at various points throughout the day and when I became more conscious of how much this was related to emotional or stress triggers or just habit, it was easier to realize that I could be satisfied just by waiting or eating some carrots or some such, and after that the cravings pretty quickly went away. Now I include some sweets in my diet (especially .5 cup of ice cream after dinner quite often), because I like them and don't tend to have a huge urge for them at other times since I know I have room in my diet for them and they aren't forbidden, but I don't have those crazy cravings.

So I'd say try to get a handle on when you are craving sugar and what else is going on to see if there are any triggers. Could be you just like it and want some on occasion, in which case I'd say work it into your calories and focus on moderation.

(Sounds like you are actually doing okay, however.)
  • lore2810
    lore2810 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I just saw something yesterday that said sugar is more addictive than cocaine and triggers the same areas of the brain.
    So it makes sense that you would crave sugar.

I too am a sugar addict. Personally I had to cut it out completely. Once I had it again, it was full blown cravings again.
    I found it easier to quit smoking than quitting sugar.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I used to really suffer from cravings - at times I do still crave a sweet treat but I have learned to deal with the cravings. A lot of the time it was just due to boredom so I would always reach for some chocolate. I rarely have chocolate these days (I used to have it everyday near enough!). My go to sweet treat is popcorn. Not sure where you're from but in the UK you can buy bags of sweet and salted popcorn. A 30g bag is less than 140calories and sorts me right out!

You have to find what works for you. As others have said, you can happily consume sugar unless you have a medical reason telling you otherwise. If you have trigger foods that cause you to binge or eat too much avoid these where possible or limit your access. For example, if you know if you buy a large chocolate bar you will eat the lot, either don't buy a large bar or break it up and portion it out. Be strict with yourself.

Sometimes a craving is so strong and won't go, you just have to satisfy it. Don't be too hard on yourself. A brownie or donut here and there is not going to impact long term.