autoimmune issue

i was just diagnosed with an auto-immune thyroid disorder. my dr was not helpful. just wondering if anyone else has auto-immune issues, and if you changed your diet to help?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Yoga saved me. Yoga, acupuncture, and learning to deal with stress.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Yoga saved me. Yoga, acupuncture, and learning to deal with stress.

thank you. i have actually thought about yoga.
    :smile:

i can't do acupuncture because i have mental health issues and acupuncture in the past has triggered mania for me, but i definitely need to learn to deal with stress!!!
  • I have a disorder called Dysautonomia which causes postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Some Dr.s believe it's autoimmune related but the science is still out on this disorder. However, to answer your question, changing my diet has significantly helped my symptoms. My neurologist put me on a 6 small meals a day or just smaller, lighter meals eaten more frequently instead of the three larger meals I was accustomed to. It was to help stabalize my blood pressure so I wouldn't pass out as much and keep me from getting sick with the nausea and weakness. To my surprise it has helped me a lot and it helped me lose weight. I also don't eat bread type foods anymore. For some reason breads/grains really upset my system. But when I eat fruits, vegetables and protein I feel much better. I eat small meals through out the day that consist of either fruit and protein like cottage cheese and berries or vegetables and protein like chicken and steamed veggies. My disorder makes it impossible to do any cardio exercise (my heart can't tolerate it) so most of my weight loss is dependent on my diet. Though I can do stretches and some easy floor movements. I hope this info is helpful. I think changing your diet will help your symptoms get better. Good luck!
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    I have a disorder called Dysautonomia which causes postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. Some Dr.s believe it's autoimmune related but the science is still out on this disorder. However, to answer your question, changing my diet has significantly helped my symptoms. My neurologist put me on a 6 small meals a day or just smaller, lighter meals eaten more frequently instead of the three larger meals I was accustomed to. It was to help stabalize my blood pressure so I wouldn't pass out as much and keep me from getting sick with the nausea and weakness. To my surprise it has helped me a lot and it helped me lose weight. I also don't eat bread type foods anymore. For some reason breads/grains really upset my system. But when I eat fruits, vegetables and protein I feel much better. I eat small meals through out the day that consist of either fruit and protein like cottage cheese and berries or vegetables and protein like chicken and steamed veggies. My disorder makes it impossible to do any cardio exercise (my heart can't tolerate it) so most of my weight loss is dependent on my diet. Though I can do stretches and some easy floor movements. I hope this info is helpful. I think changing your diet will help your symptoms get better. Good luck!

thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story. i am sorry about your condition, but happy that you have found something that is helping you.

i agree about gluten. i cannot tolerate it. i just went to the cardiologist and given a clean bill of health, very thankful on that end.

i am going to re-read your post. thanks again, i appreciate it! :smile:
  • joflo723
    joflo723 Posts: 119 Member
    I also have an autoimmune disease of the thyroid (Graves). I suggest you visit the Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism Group on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    Very helpful and friendly folks there.
    Good Luck,
    Jo