Introduction

Options
Hi, I am new to myfitnesspal (literally just signed up!) and I was hoping to get some advice. I am a 29 year old male, standing 5'9" and weighing a whopping 254 pounds. I lost someone very dear to me a year ago and all I did was sit around, eat and feel sorry for myself. That's how I packed on the pounds. I've decided that enough is enough, and it's time for a change! I understand the basics, don't eat junk food, no soda etc. etc., but it's exercise I need help with. I was recently diagnosed with Gout, and I am on medication for it, but I have to take it easy on my joints. I also have pretty extreme Anxiety, so leaving my house isn't always easy. Can any of you provide some ideas for exercising (I'm more interested in cardio than strength training).

Replies

• records1138
    Options
    Hey, True Believer, I'm no doctor, but it sounds to me like what you need is some PT first - Physical Therapy. That way you can ease into an exercise routine that is not only going to help you lose the weight, but keep you comfortable due to your condition. Obviously the best way to find the plan that will work for you is to first see a doctor, but I understand that this isn't typically the route people who first start out on a life changing plan such as this go - I didn't.

I too have to be careful of how rigorous my exercise is because I have chronic back pain that flairs up at the slightest tweak the wrong way. Obviously this isn't comparable to what you're going through, but bear with me. I've found that a small exercise bike which fits under my desk helps to keep my legs moving throughout the day (I do it three times a day for thirty minutes each), and while I'm not burning off calories left and right, I'm at least staying active. In addition, this piece of equipment can also be put on my desk for arm exercises - Which I haven't done yet.

Personally the benefits that I'm getting from MFP are; 1) I'm able to keep track specifically of what I eat. Just the fact that I have it in front of my face helps me stay conscious about what I'm eating, and so far has also helped me to know how much to eat, and when to stop. 2) The pipeline of friends I've met just in the four days I've been on the site have been an incredible benefit to me. Everyone is so encouraging and always offering a kind word of advice to help keep me on track.

Don't feel like you have to be in this alone. Send some friend requests out to people - Yes, random strangers, and you'll see what I mean. We can all help each other.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I too would be interested in exercises as I would like to tone up tummy and thighs, but having back problems and nerve damage in hands and feet, not as yet found anything i'm quite able to manage.

So I look forward to hearing others tips.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm also 5'9 and 10 years older. I don't like to do much strength either but a little bit is required. I don't do weights but pushups, planks, squats, and anything I can do with my own body. I find an elliptical to be easier on my joints than running or walking. Exercise definitely helps with anxiety. I'll add you as a friend. Don't forget to open up your diary so others can definitely help you.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    I too would be interested in exercises as I would like to tone up tummy and thighs, but having back problems and nerve damage in hands and feet, not as yet found anything i'm quite able to manage.

So I look forward to hearing others tips.

I also have back issues and it kills me when I have to do lots of crunches in my kickboxing class. So far the most effective for me were bicycles and planks - http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises.htm

However, I had to start with the standing version http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/tp/standingabexercises.htm

Try these first and see if there is any pain. I'm researching many core exercises right now so I'm sure there is something out there that you can do.
  • addaloria
    addaloria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me personally I need to do 30 minutes of cardio as daily as I can. My goal is to only miss when I can't and not when I just don't feel like it. I notice on while logging my activity and food diary that weight loss for me comes when I am eating around 1500 calories and going to the gym.
    I also have anxiety. It impaired my life for many years. It took my doctor 5 years to convince me to take a low dosage of an SSRI. I'm not quite sure why I was resistant, but in the end I agreed. It is enough to take the edge off so I can look people in the eye, leave my home, and even engage in social situations (although I still would rather not be, it just allows me to rise to the occasion when I need to).
    I would also check with a Dr. regarding walking on a treadmill maybe building up to a slow jog eventually. I would think you need to find some sort of cardio exercise that is Dr approved so you don't hold back while your doing it worrying you might hurt yourself.
  • SpideyFan12
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will do some experimenting and see what works. I'm on so many pills for my Gout, Anxiety and Bi-Polar disorder, that I don't even know what day it is lol. I'm hoping that I can really pull myself together and make things work this time around. Long walks have worked for me pretty well in the past. I was walking 4-8 miles a day, 4-5 days a week until I was diagnosed with Gout, then I lost a loved one (I really don't handle loss well) and I just let myself go, which of course complicates all of my medical issues. With the right amount of focus, proper diet, exercise, and the support of my fitness pals, I can do this.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I will do some experimenting and see what works. I'm on so many pills for my Gout, Anxiety and Bi-Polar disorder, that I don't even know what day it is lol. I'm hoping that I can really pull myself together and make things work this time around. Long walks have worked for me pretty well in the past. I was walking 4-8 miles a day, 4-5 days a week until I was diagnosed with Gout, then I lost a loved one (I really don't handle loss well) and I just let myself go, which of course complicates all of my medical issues. With the right amount of focus, proper diet, exercise, and the support of my fitness pals, I can do this.

If you can do what you did before, then you probably don't have to do anything else but log your meals. Without logging your meals, this is all meaningless.