Is there anything I should be wary of here?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
I am not clicking on the obvious spam and ignoring the sales posts but is there anything I should be careful about? thanks

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    People who think they are experts. Cleanses/detox recommendations. Eating 1200 calories.

Check out the pinned posts and you'll already be well on your way!
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you. Yes, the pinned posts are very helpful. I keep re-reading.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the "coaches" and distributors. They only offer support in hopes that you will support their bank account.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Mean people.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Watch out for the "coaches" and distributors. They only offer support in hopes that you will support their bank account.

How do I know if they are after my wallet? When they ask me for cash?
  • lorib642
    Options
    Mean people.

Yeah, I wish I had thicker skin.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

People that recommend "plans" that cost $$. There is no cost to eating a deficit and exercise (besides the actual food, obviously). Stuff like BeachBody, Shakeology, BBV, etc
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Yes, not tracking your food properly.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    Anyone who begins any post with three paragraphs about their expertise and success, is associated with a "product" or "system", or says they have a "easy", "foolproof", or "fast" shortcut for losing weight or getting fit is probably looking to, as they say, monetize the relationship.

As in real life, if it sounds too good too be true, it is.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Those pushing weight training over cardio for weightloss.

29509743.png
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options

People that recommend "plans" that cost $$. There is no cost to eating a deficit and exercise (besides the actual food, obviously). Stuff like BeachBody, Shakeology, BBV, etc

Youll be able to tell,,,their post will be big inspirational stories but come off sounding what they are...advertisements.
  • lorib642
    Options

Youll be able to tell,,,their post will be big inspirational stories but come off sounding what they are...advertisements.

Thank you

I don't know how to multi-quote, but yes, I know not tracking properly is an issue, too.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    FRIENDS on MFP :) do your thing, count your calories, get motivated by real people in real life. :) good luck
  • lorib642
    Options
    FRIENDS on MFP :) do your thing, count your calories, get motivated by real people in real life. :) good luck

You mean I have to get off the computer and move and interact and stuff?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Anyone who claims to be a coach or fitness expert. There are people here who genuinely are trainers and know their stuff, and you can figure out who they are pretty easily, plus they help people out here all the time and respond in the forums. Basically, if you need to PM, send a FR, or join a group here or outside of MFP to interact with them, they're selling something and probably don't know what they are talking about.

Pills, cleanses, detoxes - just no.

Anyone who claims a certain style of eating is best. A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. How you choose to eat to get that deficit is up to you and what works best for your lifestyle. You do not need to cut out certain foods to lose weight (unless you have a medical condition, in which case you should be discussing your diet with your doctor and not internet strangers anyway).

Anyone who encourages unhealthy weight loss practices like low calorie diets, excessive exercise, or other practices which shun common sense. Not only is their advice silly and unnecessary, they often have disordered eating patterns, poor relationships with food, and distorted body image issues.

Anyone who has dedicated their entire focus to being fit and healthy. Exercise is good. A balanced diet is good. Having fitness related hobbies (running races, lifting, recreational sports, etc) is good. Being insufferable about it to the point where friends and family don't want to be around you is not. These are generally the people who start threads complaining about how other people eat or how everyone around them is jealous.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Sugar toxins
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    No, I am saying there is a lot of envy here. The more you lose, the more you see. Good luck.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Watch out for "flame throwers." These are people who belittle others. Ignore the meanies, and pay attention to meeting your goals. I let MPF set my calories goals for me, and managed to lose weight. Other people are fans of BMI planning. Both systems work for those who actually count their calories and exercise. Be patient. This system works well but not quickly.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

NVM, the mods deleted it already.

They ask if you want to join challenges, buy wraps or shake powders and sometimes the really bold ones will ask if they can send you a friend request on Facebook so they can freely advertise to you on there.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    There are some meanies on here, so just ignore them. :smile: