Ladies and Calves - Do You Exercise Yours?

Options
I have been doing calf exercises for the past year, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. I have never had the type of calves that are really noticeable at all, so I thought maybe I could make them a little bit noticeable. Not sure how much I care about that anymore. Is there any other real reason to work them?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    You need them to walk? lol that's a pretty good reason.

I work mine because I'm a runner and weak calves lead to pain and/or injuries.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I don't do toe raises, but I exercise my legs by doing time on the elliptical & treadmill, or sometimes taking long walks.
    (For the hip muscles, I do use ab/adduction machines, but the rest of the leg muscles just get worked by walking.)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not an area you see much gain in or tone, but I train every muscle and encourage everyone else to do the same.

How are you exercising them?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I <3 calf raises.

If any ladies wanna trade their 16 inch calves for my 14.5 inch calves, I'd love it.
    I want bigger calves damnit
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically go to the gym to work them, but at my desk I'll do calf raises a few times a day, or I'll stand on tiptoes and hold, lower and hold, lower and hold until I get to the floor. I do that mainly to build ankle stability though, which is very important as a runner.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have calves like Will Carling :sad: 19 inches in for goodness sake! my waist when i go married was only 19.5 inches ... admittedly that was many moons ago but i need to make my calves smaller, as they look ridiculous, they are wider than my thighs! so any trim down tips would be helpful, i have lost weight and inches elsewhere but my calves have increased lol! typical!!!!
    I used to be a dancer so this plays a part and dont get me wrong, they are solid calves, just they belong on a man!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've been training mine for well over a year and they're just as skinny as ever :(
    (I did manage a 0.25" gain, from bulking, but it isn't even noticeable)

ETA: they're much more defined though, so it is worth it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Genetics has a huge impact on calf sizes. They are a tough muscle to get gains on or even lose because of it.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I don't specifically go to the gym to work them, but at my desk I'll do calf raises a few times a day, or I'll stand on tiptoes and hold, lower and hold, lower and hold until I get to the floor. I do that mainly to build ankle stability though, which is very important as a runner.

This is pretty much what I do.
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise mine however years of wearing high heels or maybe it's simply good ole genetics -mine are a big ball of muscle. I have men and women stop me and compliment me on my calves. I do some toes raises and stretching mainly because of strengthing for running but that really about it. I also think I have more of a tendency to build muscle easily more than some women though. Which again I believe is genetics.
  • melindabrock
    melindabrock Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do some calf raises on leg day each week and I have only started working out again about a month now and my calves are the ONLY part of my body with definition. My calves never get sore and I was doing over 100lbs the other day (or so the trainer said) and two days later they are hard as rocks. I agree its probably hereditary but I love the feeling I get working them out!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere from 6-12 sets for calves a week, most of which is heavy weighted work (Barbell Calf Raises, etc.).

It's a muscle, so like all the other muscles it needs to be worked IMO.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Well, I basically just do calf raises. The whole time I've been doing them I've been eating at a deficit, so I don't suppose I can expect much change in the size of them.