Is there anything I should be wary of here?

Options

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Sodium. It's MFP kryptonite
  • laurajo521
    laurajo521 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    For the most part, people here are nice and encouraging. Important to remember that what works for one person might not work for another.

There are some people who take it too seriously or have unhealthy ideas about weight loss, but you'll be able to spot them and they are easy to ignore. I haven't lost enough to see the jealous people here (at least not on MFP, which is why I congregate here instead of "real life.")
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    The incredible amount of sarcasm, and of course, trolls like me. :bigsmile:
  • Jimmy_Rhythm
    Jimmy_Rhythm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Squirrels.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The incredible amount of sarcasm, and of course, trolls like me. :bigsmile:

:)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am not clicking on the obvious spam and ignoring the sales posts but is there anything I should be careful about? thanks
    Apparently sarcasm and anyone who might disagree with you and express that differing opinion. I hear it's deadly.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Anyone who claims to be a coach or fitness expert. There are people here who genuinely are trainers and know their stuff, and you can figure out who they are pretty easily, plus they help people out here all the time and respond in the forums. Basically, if you need to PM, send a FR, or join a group here or outside of MFP to interact with them, they're selling something and probably don't know what they are talking about.

Pills, cleanses, detoxes - just no.

Anyone who claims a certain style of eating is best. A calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. How you choose to eat to get that deficit is up to you and what works best for your lifestyle. You do not need to cut out certain foods to lose weight (unless you have a medical condition, in which case you should be discussing your diet with your doctor and not internet strangers anyway).

Anyone who encourages unhealthy weight loss practices like low calorie diets, excessive exercise, or other practices which shun common sense. Not only is their advice silly and unnecessary, they often have disordered eating patterns, poor relationships with food, and distorted body image issues.

Anyone who has dedicated their entire focus to being fit and healthy. Exercise is good. A balanced diet is good. Having fitness related hobbies (running races, lifting, recreational sports, etc) is good. Being insufferable about it to the point where friends and family don't want to be around you is not. These are generally the people who start threads complaining about how other people eat or how everyone around them is jealous.

This sums it all up.

I read the forums constantly but you have to learn to sift through the BS and find the people who really know what they're talking about. When you find them, follow them. Their knowledge is invaluable.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    a difference of opinion and/or stating factual information that may go against another users beliefs is often misconstrued as "bullying". butthurt runs rampant in these parts. oftentimes, when someone poses a question, they are not actually looking for answers, but just validation.

the forums are loaded with derp. enjoy the ride!
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the "coaches" and distributors. They only offer support in hopes that you will support their bank account.

How do I know if they are after my wallet? When they ask me for cash?

People that recommend "plans" that cost $$. There is no cost to eating a deficit and exercise (besides the actual food, obviously). Stuff like BeachBody, Shakeology, BBV, etc

Youll be able to tell,,,their post will be big inspirational stories but come off sounding what they are...advertisements.

This isn't exactly true. Beach Body fitness programs are butt kickers and will get you in shape. They do cost money, but after you buy them, they are yours forever. They cost a fraction of the money of a gym membership. I sent you a private message laying out what to watch out for. This guy is right about the supplements and the Shakes. They are expensive and totally unnecessary. The programs, however, are totally legit.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Extremists and extremism and lack of flexibility!

Life is a balance. Maintaining health is a balance. Achieving your goals is a balance. Challenges can be fun, but longevity is a balance. Experimenting with what works best for you is good, too. Be careful of albeit well-intentioned people emphasizing very low calories or only this protein or only those exercise plans or not this and never that and always the other..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you can debate opinions, but you can't debate facts. Keep that in mind, and you will be fine :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am not clicking on the obvious spam and ignoring the sales posts but is there anything I should be careful about? thanks
    Apparently sarcasm and anyone who might disagree with you and express that differing opinion. I hear it's deadly.

I am not sure what you mean. I have trouble reading tone so maybe I miss some sarcasm.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Watch out for:
    -People who private message you offering you advice that costs money.
    -Any diets that last X number of days. 30 day cleanse. 7 day detox. 7 day reset. Whole foods for 30 days. Weight loss is about a lifestyle change.
    -Just because someone has a lot of posts does not make them an expert. Weight loss communities attract a lot of people with disordered eating.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree with the coaches. If anyone says they are a beach body coach I run because they will stock you! Also don't eat back your exercise calories. I listened to MFP and did and didn't understand why I wasn't losing. When I asked my trainer about this she laughed and told me to not eat them back if I want to lose and I've been losing
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    You should be wary of forum posts. Lots of misinformation and meanies out there who love to stir things up. Read the forum guidelines if you haven't already.

There is some good advice in here though. Good luck!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree with the coaches. If anyone says they are a beach body coach I run because they will stock you! Also don't eat back your exercise calories. I listened to MFP and did and didn't understand why I wasn't losing. When I asked my trainer about this she laughed and told me to not eat them back if I want to lose and I've been losing

I think that's different for everybody. I had great success eating all of my exercise calories...it allowed me a very flexible eating plan, I didn't even feel like I was "dieting" and I lost steadily and at a good rate. You just have to figure out what is right for you. Some people eat back all, some eat back half, some none. Is it possible that you were overestimating your exercise burns? Or maybe not weighing/measuring food correctly?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I am not sure what you mean. I have trouble reading tone so maybe I miss some sarcasm.
    We as a group tend to be a sarcastic bunch and many call that trolling. And people don't like when someone disagrees with them. They get very nasty.

Sorry. I was trying to make a joke. :-)
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Squirrels.

Holy @#$%!! There are SQUIRRELS?