So damn tired all the time :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Stress (the overwhelming stress) that you describe could be a huge culprit, too. When I have found myself, overwhelmed, overtired, overstressed, my body usually says, "enough! if you don't stop, I'll make you stop!" Then I get very tired, and mildly depressed, and just really don't have the enthusiasm to do much more than what I must do.

Of course, the stress also makes weight loss more difficult with the release of cortizol. Not a good thing.

Is your husband doing his share? Do you have any other support that could help?

Sometimes, we have to also look at our perception of things we must do. I look at my exercise as a stress reliever, not another obligation. For a while, why not focus more on ways to relieve the stress rather than calorie burn fitness. Meditation, tai chi, or yoga might be more beneficial right now than a cardio burn. A leisurely walk might be more relaxing than trying to get a mile in.

On you day off, include your daughter in a relaxing fun activity that is healthy. A walk in the woods or a game of tag in the park. She will benefit, too.

See your doctor though and have an honest talk. Have blood work done for vitamin and thyroid deficiency.

However the basic truth for most moms was pointed out by my 4-year old granddaughter who likes to play doctor and was giving her mom and pretend examine. She then asked "What seems to be the problem?" My daughter-in-law said, "I'm just so very tired." My granddaughter asked her, "Do you have kids?" My daughter-in-law said, "Yes, I do." My granddaughter thought for a moment and said solemnly, "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do to help you."
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    your life is by your design...do yoga.. reduce stress... think happy thoughts
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    However the basic truth for most moms was pointed out by my 4-year old granddaughter who likes to play doctor and was giving her mom and pretend examine. She then asked "What seems to be the problem?" My daughter-in-law said, "I'm just so very tired." My granddaughter asked her, "Do you have kids?" My daughter-in-law said, "Yes, I do." My granddaughter thought for a moment and said solemnly, "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do to help you."

That is seriously awesome.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain....I also have a 3 year old daughter. I also have a 5 year old son, and a 4 month old daughter, and my husband works shifts. I'm on maternity leave though, we can take a year off in England. I go to the gym 5/6 times a week and walk a lot, and I think exercise and fresh air must help, because if I gave in to the tiredness I'd probably be in bed all day! My baby is up at least twice every night.

When I was pregnant, I was working 3 days a week as a teacher and looking after my then 2 and 4 year olds. I was at the gym 4 times a week until 38 weeks pregnant. I honestly think the more you exercise, the more energy you have.

I don't know what you eat, but that's definitely something you can focus on.

Get your husband to do bedtime a couple of times a week so you can do a workout. On your day off take your daughter out. My kids love their scooters.
  • Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Stress (the overwhelming stress) that you describe could be a huge culprit, too. When I have found myself, overwhelmed, overtired, overstressed, my body usually says, "enough! if you don't stop, I'll make you stop!" Then I get very tired, and mildly depressed, and just really don't have the enthusiasm to do much more than what I must do.

Of course, the stress also makes weight loss more difficult with the release of cortizol. Not a good thing.

Is your husband doing his share? Do you have any other support that could help?

Sometimes, we have to also look at our perception of things we must do. I look at my exercise as a stress reliever, not another obligation. For a while, why not focus more on ways to relieve the stress rather than calorie burn fitness. Meditation, tai chi, or yoga might be more beneficial right now than a cardio burn. A leisurely walk might be more relaxing than trying to get a mile in.

On you day off, include your daughter in a relaxing fun activity that is healthy. A walk in the woods or a game of tag in the park. She will benefit, too.

See your doctor though and have an honest talk. Have blood work done for vitamin and thyroid deficiency.

thank you so much for the advice. your comment about your granddaughter made me laugh. That is just so cute!!!
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    definitely eating breakfast will help, but as a person with vitamin D deficiency and vitamin B dificiency (previously), I would have your labs checked if breakfast doesn't help. Kale may not be the best tasting, but adding it to a breakfast smoothie gives you tons of vitamins and will help
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    I opened my diary! Thanks to all of your for your support it really means so much!!

I feel good right now. I ate a big breakfast and plan to take a walk on my break in a half hour. I'm keeping up with the water as usual. My husband doesn't cook sadly, but when I ask him for help, he helps. He can put the little one to bed some nights so I can do 30 min of meditation, yoga or a work out. I just have to ask. Yesterday I was so tired he took the clothes out of the dryer and sat down and folded them all and put them away. My daughter looked at him and was like daddy what are you doing? He laughed and said I know you don't ever see me like this but mommy needs help. I looked at him and said. You are so sexy right now! lol
  • Ladybug1250
    Options
    Oh and also you're all right I do need to keep up with my vitamins, I forget sometimes and that's not good. I did recently have some blood work done and she said all was normal, however when looking at the report it looks like my thyroid is a bit on the high side of normal. I'm switching doctors since we moved and I plan to ask him about it.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would not call asking your husband to do his share of child-raising and housework "helping" you. These tasks are equally his job. You need to figure out ways to lighten your load. . . batch cooking is a big help in preventing poor food choices during the week. Get that husband to step up. Find some middle grade teens willing to help entertain your daughter from time to time so you can have a break. Do everything you can to get enough sleep.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I am having issues with fatigue at this time as well. I have one child who is 6 and work full time (with only weekends off). For the most part, I am not tired all the time. Typically having a nutritious diet with adequate calories, consistent exercise (3-6 days a week), and a good sleep habit will keep me feeling good. Lately, it feels like no matter what I do, I just can't get through the day without crashing and needing a nap. I am still trying to get into the gym and when I do, I find I have more energy after.

Make sure you are eating well and enough to support good health, try and get a good nights sleep (can be hard with little ones), and start forcing yourself to do some exercise, even if it is just taking the kids out for a 30 min walk or playing with them in the yard. Get active before dinner if you can and you may find you have more energy in the evening.

Some fatigue can be caused by viral infections or other medical issues, but often the life of a mother is an exhausting one and we just have to work to find our extra energy.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

OMG hilarious! and so true....................
  • ddkphotos
    ddkphotos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Some other thoughts besides diet - you could be dealing with a deficiency. I'd suggest making a doc appt and getting levels of iron, Vit D and Vit B tested. Maybe even thyroid?

THIS! get your bloods checked. My 25-hydroxy Vitamin D. blood test came back very low - feeling much better after supplementing for the past 2 months... make sure it's the 25-hydroxy test though... you usually have to specify not the usual vitamin D test.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This probably won't help much and I do not have kids. However, I'm a college student again working on an AA degree. This is actually my third degree that I've worked on. I'm an experienced student. I have homework to do. Between school and work on Tuesday, I went 14 hours without a break for food. I managed to eat, but mostly at my desk while working. I have found that by working out early and eating a proper breakfast that I have energy for the entire day. The benefits of that exercise session seem to last a while. So I worked out on Monday morning and worked a 14 hour day on Tuesday.

You know I'm fully supportive of the before the dawn work out. You don't have to wonder where I am at 5am on Mon., Weds., or Friday. I'm on my bike on a dark country road doing about 15 miles an hour. I have a good and bright headlight on the handlebars. I have a super bright flashing red light on the back of the bike. Even when I don't want to get up, I get up. I drag on my bike clothing and head out to the garage. The wife and the dog watch me leave and go back to sleep. In order to get up, I go to bed early every night. When your trying to lose weight, you have to have the discipline to push on through.

When I get back, I have some carbs for breakfast and hopefully some protein. If I do this as often as possible and in the exact same way, I make progress. I know working out is hard with all our other time commitments. However, I find that working out seems to give me more energy in the rest of my life.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

I literally just snorted at my desk. From the mouths of babes, as they say.