Flat Feet?

Options
Hey Pals,

I'm starting to discover which machines are good and which machines are not good for people who have flat feet. As a person with flat feet I find it difficult to use the treadmil because it hurts my feet. The elipitical however, doesn't really hurt my feet. My question is, do you have flat feet? If so, what exercises do you do and don't do?

Replies

• Dingoutback
    Dingoutback Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question....are you using the right SHOES for your feet? I had a HUGE problem with this until I switched to stability shoes! Now I can run on the treadmill all I want! :)

That is a good question. The answer is no, unfortuantly I have regular tennis shoes.
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have very flat feet and a bunion......I stay away from the calf extension machine it hurts treadmill doesn't bother me.I don't use the elliptical machines because my feet roll off
  • Dingoutback
    Options
    I have the flattest feet you ever did see. The elliptical is a lot easier on my joints than the treadmill or street running. So if I'm going long distance I use that. Also crank up the resistance and you'll get a real good leg workout.

My feet are so flat they make fart noises on the kitched floor.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Here's the real question....are you using the right SHOES for your feet? I had a HUGE problem with this until I switched to stability shoes! Now I can run on the treadmill all I want! :)

Yea, basically this. I went to a running shoe store, they measured my feet, watched me walk told me to jog and determined the best shoes for my feet. I highly recommend this if you have a reputable running shoe store in the area.

I lift 3-4 days a week so my cardio depends on what I'm doing that day. I don't run on leg day but I'll go on the elliptical or bike for a warm up or cool down bit of cardio. On chest day I'll use the treadmill for a mile or so. My gym doesn't have a lot of cardio equipment but on non-lift days I want to get outside I'll go out for a run and my sneakers don't cause me any pain. Definitely look into getting good shoes!
  • Dingoutback
    Options
    Yea, basically this. I went to a running shoe store, they measured my feet, watched me walk told me to jog and determined the best shoes for my feet. I highly recommend this if you have a reputable running shoe store in the area.

I lift 3-4 days a week so my cardio depends on what I'm doing that day. I don't run on leg day but I'll go on the elliptical or bike for a warm up or cool down bit of cardio. On chest day I'll use the treadmill for a mile or so. My gym doesn't have a lot of cardio equipment but on non-lift days I want to get outside I'll go out for a run and my sneakers don't cause me any pain. Definitely look into getting good shoes!

I will look into this. Thanks!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You can also go to a physio and get custom fit orthotics for your feet. But, at the very least you need better sneakers.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's your shoes not the machines that are causing your feet to hurt.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    A flat foot off? I may win this one. I have stepped on those Dr. Shoal machine at Target and it keeps insisting I need to take off my shoes.

I cannot walk on a treadmill...it kills my feet. Regardless of what shoes I have (but I agree on a good running store). When I am in a gym I use the elliptical.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i have flat feet and I love walking and jogging on the treadmill in just a good pair of socks (and clothes.) I go a little slower and steeper but it has really helped me protect my knees, because my feet give me a steady stream of feedback about how they're feeling. All of the stability shoes I've tried, I get injured within a week, but I have been barefoot jogging for 6+ months with no injuries. When I jog outside it's Keens which are pretty close to barefoot shoes but protect me from broken glass and other perils.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread...but I'm experiencing back and knee pain and I've just learned its due to me having flat feet. Never knew it could cause this much issues. I have the endurance and stamina, but it hurt at times when I run. Any other feedback as to what worked for others in the situation would be great.
  • orakpo98
    orakpo98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and it really sucked growing up. I was very active in sports but the only stopping me was pain in my arch from, well, not having an arch! My life changed when I discovered New Balance cross trainers. There was basically no arch. Once I wore those I could run for miles without my feet hurting. Ultimately you should go see a podiatrist, but in the mean time take a look at New Balance. You don't even need the expensive ones. The 609 cross trainers, while not the coolest looking shoe out there, feels great for my flat as a brick feet. Nike is for the most part no good for me. However, the Nike Air Max Torch 4 worked really well for me.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    STLBADGIRL wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread...but I'm experiencing back and knee pain and I've just learned its due to me having flat feet. Never knew it could cause this much issues. I have the endurance and stamina, but it hurt at times when I run. Any other feedback as to what worked for others in the situation would be great.

(You could always start your own you know?)

I have long, narrow, flat flat feet with bunions that over pronate and rubbish toes as well

I run marathons

It's allllll about the shoes. My podiatrist recommended mizuno wave inspire to me and then he put some custom orthotic stuff in them, and the nerve pain between my toes and my knee problems etc etc went away. As my base mileage has increased and my general running strength also, I've found I no longer need the orthotics but I buy a new pair of mizuno a every 3 months or so.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Flat feet here too but no pain. Had surgery on right foot for a unrelated neuroma and bunion removal. Still have a benign bunion on left foot.

Key for comfort, as others have said, are well fitting shoes. Have tried orthotics but they never really helped me more than just a good pair of shoes.

Have had to buy larger shoes recently.
    Was a size 10-10.5 for years, now need to wear size 11-11.5 depending on the shoe.

Didn't know that feet grow w/age til this started to happen. Ironically, flattening of the feet w/age is the cause. So, I guess my feet have gotten even flatter than they were b4. LOL!

See, for example:

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/self-care/article/do-feet-really-get-bigger-age
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    liznotyet wrote: »
    i have flat feet and I love walking and jogging on the treadmill in just a good pair of socks (and clothes.) I go a little slower and steeper but it has really helped me protect my knees, because my feet give me a steady stream of feedback about how they're feeling. All of the stability shoes I've tried, I get injured within a week, but I have been barefoot jogging for 6+ months with no injuries. When I jog outside it's Keens which are pretty close to barefoot shoes but protect me from broken glass and other perils.

I also used to have flat-as-a-pancake feet all my life. Even wore those foot braces when I was a child to try to fix them but they didn’t help any. Due to the terrible shin splints I suffered when starting to run about 4 years ago, I tried barefoot running out of desperation. No more shin splints and as a bonus... I developed arches on my feet! It took about a year of running barefoot to develop the muscle/tendon strength to have actual arches but I don’t have flat feet anymore and have been running pain-free ever since. I wear huaraches (a type of primitive sandal) when I don’t run/hike completely barefoot. It’s very challenging/fun and may not be for everyone, but it worked for me.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I have very flat feet, but I do not have any issues with any exercises. I just prefer the elliptical due to its low impact. For some reason I just dont like using the treadmill, but I do from time to time.

I have a pair of very light weight nike shoes that have no arch support. Any shoe that has arch support usually means pain for my arches.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have no problems with any exercise, including running, when I wear properly fitting shoes. I prefer shoes with little to no arch support otherwise I get pain in my arches. My dad who also has flat feet is the opposite though and needs very supportive shoes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    I have tried orthotic inserts and custom made orthotic shoes a couple of times.

They weren't painful but the arches seemed exaggerted and were uncomfortable for me.

Properly fitted shoes w/normal arches and/or some aftermarket inserts, which I have also tried, are fine.

I have taken up hiking again and, in the proper shoes, I can hike 3-8 miles (w/or w/o) added weight in a vest or backpack just fine.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet. I do crossfit and some things kill my feet. Too many wall balls, snatches, thrusters are a killer on my feet. So i take my shoes off when i know I'll be doing a lot of reps.

I recently got some new shoes, nikes, that seem to be doing pretty good. Its really all about finding the right shoes.