Quest bars...are they healthy??

Options
I've recently tried a few quest bars and really like them because they keep me full due to the high protein and fiber content. However, I've been eating them as lunch basically because I'm on-the-go with class and it was convenient, but I don't workout (I know I need to get back to the gym but for the past few months I've been terrible about it). Can they cause me to gain weight because I'm not using them pre/post-workout? Or is it okay to eat them as long as they're in my calories? The main ingredient in them is Isomalto-Oligosaccharides, and that doesn't sound very natural so I was wondering if they're healthy or if they can cause weight gain?

Thanks!

Replies

• bvar1
    bvar1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    (I know that they're prebiotic fibers, but I'm basically just unsure if a protein bar is a suitable/healthy meal alternative or if I should only be eating them if I'm working out)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    actually that is not the first ingredient listed - below is the ingredients of the chocolate chip cookie dough bar -

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (100% Natural Prebiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol, Contains less than 2% of the following: Salt, Sucralose, Stevia, Peanuts, Cashews, Milk, Natural Flavorings

you can eat them if you are working out or not working out.. if it fits your day.
  • highcarbveganzombie
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I tried three different kinds and they all tasted like crap to me. :\

I suppose they are though, if you like the taste.
  • bvar1
    Options
    actually that is not the first ingredient listed - below is the ingredients of the chocolate chip cookie dough bar -

Other Ingredients: Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharides* (100% Natural Prebiotic Fiber), Almonds, Water, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Erythritol, Contains less than 2% of the following: Salt, Sucralose, Stevia, Peanuts, Cashews, Milk, Natural Flavorings

you can eat them if you are working out or not working out.. if it fits your day.

Okay, thank you! I know it's not the first listed, but I also wasn't sure if protein blend is something suited more towards someone who regularly exercises. I'm not very knowledgeable about all things nutrition haha
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Or is it okay to eat them as long as they're in my calories?

Yes. You can eat anything you want as long as it fits within you calorie goal and you will lose weight.

As far as healthy? That's subjective but they're probably better than most protein bars out there.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of protein bars but Quest bars are fairly legit. It's not so much the protein but look how much fiber is in them. I bought a box of chocolate brownie (I think it was) and it had 17grams of fiber in it. I never felt bloated or gassy when eating them and they taste good. Ideally, you want to get your nutrition from food but in-reality most people are busy and having a shake or bar on-the-go is a necessity. The "No Gii" bars aren't bad either and taste pretty decent.
  • bvar1
    Options
    Or is it okay to eat them as long as they're in my calories?

Yes. You can eat anything you want as long as it fits within you calorie goal and you will lose weight.

As far as healthy? That's subjective but they're probably better than most protein bars out there.

Thank you, that's what I originally thought but didn't want to unintentionally be sabotaging weight-loss attempts
  • bvar1
    Options
    I am not a big fan of protein bars but Quest bars are fairly legit. It's not so much the protein but look how much fiber is in them. I bought a box of chocolate brownie (I think it was) and it had 17grams of fiber in it. I never felt bloated or gassy when eating them and they taste good. Ideally, you want to get your nutrition from food but in-reality most people are busy and having a shake or bar on-the-go is a necessity. The "No Gii" bars aren't bad either and taste pretty decent.

Agreed, the fiber really helps keep me full! That's why I like them. I've tried the occasional other protein bar just to have when I'm at school, but I'm always hungry within an hour. I'll have to look into No Gii bars. Thanks!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out to need protein. Quest bars are an easy way for me to boost my protein every day and I eat them for breakfast/lunch while I'm in school, even if I'm not working out that day. As far as not being able to pronounce ingredients, look up the ingredients in an apple and you'll be amazed.
  • katerz86
    katerz86 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You don't have to work out to need protein. Quest bars are an easy way for me to boost my protein every day and I eat them for breakfast/lunch while I'm in school, even if I'm not working out that day. As far as not being able to pronounce ingredients, look up the ingredients in an apple and you'll be amazed.

The ingredients in an apple?

Did you mean apple pie or something? because an apple only has one ingredient... apple.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Did you mean apple pie or something? because an apple only has one ingredient... apple.

Not quite.

apple_E-numbers.jpg
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy". If you like it, fit it in to your macros.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like my quest bars.

Heat in microwave on some wax paper, for about 11 - 13 seconds.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently "healthy" or "unhealthy". If you like it, fit it in to your macros.

Dontcha know, carbs?!?!?!!?

They are like Satan's minions
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bomb! Eat as a treat, pre, post, just eat them lol.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Pretty sure the poster meant chemicals in an apple, not ingredients.

To the OP - any one food cannot be considered healthy or unhealthy. All foods, in moderation and part of a balanced nutritional plan can be enjoyed. Over consumption of "healthy" foods can still lead to health issues. View health in terms of overall lifestyle (physical, morale, diet, etc) not just one foods that you may eat - would you consider one meal consisting of salad and chicken healthy to an obese smoker? Or ice cream unhealthy to a fitness model?

As for Quest bars, I love them. The macro and micro contents fit my goals, and I have one everyday.

Edit for: just saw the chemical gif.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried a few quest bars and really like them because they keep me full due to the high protein and fiber content. However, I've been eating them as lunch basically because I'm on-the-go with class and it was convenient, but I don't workout (I know I need to get back to the gym but for the past few months I've been terrible about it). Can they cause me to gain weight because I'm not using them pre/post-workout? Or is it okay to eat them as long as they're in my calories? The main ingredient in them is Isomalto-Oligosaccharides, and that doesn't sound very natural so I was wondering if they're healthy or if they can cause weight gain?

Thanks!

There is no particular food that makes you fat...there is no such thing as a fatteining food...you don't gain weight and fat because of your Quest bar or a piece of cake or having a soda...you gain weight (fat) when you consume more energy (calories) than your body requires...consuming more energy requires that your body put that excess energy into storage for later use (fat)...it has nothing to do with whether or not you eat a Quest bar or if you're working out while you do it or not...this is just math.

ETA: where matters of nutrition are concerned, "healthy" and "not healthy" require a fair bit of context as well as dosage information. For example...having a slice of pizza for lunch can very easily fit into a very healthy and balanced nutritional day...an entire large pie, not so much...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    FYI: oligosaccharides is just the fancy chemical sounding name for complex carbohydrates. Monosaccharides are sugars made up of one sugar molecule (ie: fructose, glucose), disaccharides are made of of two molecules in a chain (ie: sucrose, lactose, maltose), oligosaccharides are made up of three or more sugars in the chain and are the main components of soluble fiber. There is also polysaccharides which are basically insoluble fiber like cellulose and make up what granny used to call "roughage". All are "healthy".
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy."

It means different things for different people, depending on their goals.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Pretty sure the poster meant chemicals in an apple, not ingredients.

To the OP - any one food cannot be considered healthy or unhealthy. All foods, in moderation and part of a balanced nutritional plan can be enjoyed. Over consumption of "healthy" foods can still lead to health issues. View health in terms of overall lifestyle (physical, morale, diet, etc) not just one foods that you may eat - would you consider one meal consisting of salad and chicken healthy to an obese smoker? Or ice cream unhealthy to a fitness model?

As for Quest bars, I love them. The macro and micro contents fit my goals, and I have one everyday.

Edit for: just saw the chemical gif.

What he said.