Best meal replacement shakes

Options
Hi y'all I'm going to be 30 in one month and want to lose about 5 lbs I would to find a shake to have for breakfast and lunch to kickstart weightloss .... I need more portion control any ideas ? No shakeology it's way too expensive :)

5'3
145 lbs

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    None. Why not just eat a moderate calorie deficit and drop the weight?
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You don't need meal replacement shakes to lose weight. Use MFP and count your calories. Eat in a deficit. Set your goal to lose 1 lb a week and you will get there with accurate logging.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i love Pure Protein vanilla. about 3 carbs and 25g/protein
    it's yummy!

i get it at walmart, it's in a huge container, it's a powder. i mix with almond milk.

**ETA i like to have a protein shake every now and then, after i work-out, or to replace a meal if i'm on the go and don't have any healthier options. some people don't like them, but if you want them, go for it.
  • radimage
    Options
    Garden of Life, Raw Meal...it's all Vegan. Packs a lot of goodies into it!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My question is, how long do you plan on doing the meal replacement shakes? To me, it is honestly better to set up healthy habits you can maintain after losing the weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Hope this helps
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My trainer recommended Raw protein lite , or Estronomics. Raw protein is an organic vegan rice protein that tastes like what I assume kitty litter would taste like if you blended it into a shake, but again healthy. Estronomics is made by Poliquin and tastes pretty good, also a rice protein.

What ever you choose be careful, read labels a lot of shakes (especially cheap ones) can have tons of sugar and / or sweeteners that spike your blood sugar worse than candy bars. You shouldn't be drinking them for the taste really, just the calories.

Hope this helps :) good luck
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Good, I'm bored here at my desk.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    i love Pure Protein vanilla. about 3 carbs and 25g/protein
    it's yummy!

i get it at walmart, it's in a huge container, it's a powder. i mix with almond milk.

**ETA i like to have a protein shake every now and then, after i work-out, or to replace a meal if i'm on the go and don't have any healthier options. some people don't like them, but if you want them, go for it.

I have been drinking a protein shake in the morning. I mix some fruit in. The first brand of whey powder I bought upset my stomach. You don't need any meal replacements it is just an easy way for me to get protein. If you are worried about portion control you may want to work on that.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to create a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight).

Meal replacements can help create a calorie deficit, but you can achieve the same deficit by eating regular food.

Having said that, if you're dead set on drinking a shake for breakfast and lunch, you need to make sure you buy a nutritionally complete meal replacement shake and not just a protein supplement. Protein supplements are just that - protein - and are meant to add more protein to your day. They usually lack other important macro and micro-nutrients, so you shouldn't use them regularly as a meal replacement unless you're blending them with other foods. Look for something that's meant to be used as a meal replacement shake and is fortified with the vitamins and minerals you would get from eating normal meals.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you have to create a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight).

Meal replacements can help create a calorie deficit, but you can achieve the same deficit by eating regular food.

Having said that, if you're dead set on drinking a shake for breakfast and lunch, you need to make sure you buy a nutritionally complete meal replacement shake and not just a protein supplement. Protein supplements are just that - protein - and are meant to add more protein to your day. They usually lack other important macro and micro-nutrients, so you shouldn't use them regularly as a meal replacement unless you're blending them with other foods. Look for something that's meant to be used as a meal replacement shake and is fortified with the vitamins and minerals you would get from eating normal meals.

Thank you. Yes, the protein shake I drink is more of a snack. It isn't meant to replace a meal.
  • NOW_is_my_time
    Options
    The Walmart Equate shakes taste pretty good and include a whole bunch of vitamins. I use the ones with 350 cals each, because they make more sense as a meal replacement shake than the ones with only 190 cals. The chocolate is super tasty, like a milkshake! And you get 6 shakes for like $7.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    I use to do the Slim fast drinks. But the company repackaged the packages. went from aluminum cans, to plastic, from a 6 pack to a 4 pack, that hold less OZs and is 1$ for the pack.

Yah, not doing that.

I gave walmart brand a try and I like it, The creamy Milk chocolate, and the Strawberry.

I had tried to do a drink for two meals, but found it got boring. I ended up just doing one fro breakfast or just for lunch, and i don't feel as deprived now.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Take 6 oz of cooked chicken, 1 serving of broccoli, 1 serving of brown rice, add water. Blend. Enjoy.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i haves used meal replacement shakes as part of my calorie deficit to lose over 40kg total.
    they work for me.
    currently got a tin of slimfast on the go.they are ok at 230 cals for a lunch replacement between gym& swimming sessions for me.
    light but packing some protein.
    previously used asda own brand( walmart in usa).
    they were excellent and helped me lose the initial 20kg without exercise.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't do a specific meal replacement shake but I do do a protein shake at least Monday through Friday in the morning. Right now now I'm using ON, Dymatize and Isopure products. I add a fruit, almond milk and a couple other additives. They average about 400-500 calories. For me it satisfies my sweet tooth and I get a serving of vegetables in. I drink it on my way to work. I don't generally do them any other time of the day though.
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Take 6 oz of cooked chicken, 1 serving of broccoli, 1 serving of brown rice, add water. Blend. Enjoy.

+1
  • mcbrainder
    mcbrainder Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I created my own--but it's roughly 500 calories. Still, lots of value in it and very delicious.

6 ounces of skim milk
    2 shots of espresso
    ice to the top of the liquid
    banana
    peanut butter
    chocolate protein.

Blend until smooth. Fantastic, filling, and I drop when I replace breakfast with one daily.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    None. Why not just eat a moderate calorie deficit and drop the weight?
    This. Shakes aren't "meals". People use them a weight loss gimmick and are shocked and surprised when they find out that the way they work is because one consumed less than they burned.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    not sure why so many are so into those shakes ... i much rather have a meal n i do :P n i'm still losing weight ... i exercise ... mostly walk/hike n count calories n i'm losing weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The problem with meal replacement shakes.....SlimFast, Wal-Mart, whatever is they have tons of sugar.

Sugar is neither filling nor good nutrition. It's just a cheap filler.

If you must do the shake thing.....make your own. Use a good quality protein powder, throw in spinach (or other veggies) & fruit. This gives you more nutrition. Take a daily vitamin pill also.

I've never found that drinking my calories is very satisfying.