reading this really annoyed me!!

Options

Replies

• Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    ... can't afford health food but she can afford name brand junk... let that one sink in a bit.

The chips ahoy alone run almost 5 bucks here. She could have bout a bag of rice, some chicken and veggies, enough for a whole healthy meal with what it cost for that single box of cookies.

*edited* To add I just realized she makes about 6000 dollars a year more than me living on government money. Which makes me want to punch her in the throat with the bag of cookies.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    people like this sicken me. It is one thing to need help due to life circumstances, etc. HOWEVER she obviously has enough money for tattoos as they are not cheap. She can spend more on food that is healthy.

secondly many of these people at least in the US eat better than those in the middle class. I go to the grocery store and may buy a rib-eye steak and a few other things. I see these people buying Tbone steaks, and very expensive beef jerky. Heck in Colorado they are able to buy legal cannabis. I mean seriously?!! Also many have microwaves, washer and dryers, VERY VERY large screen TVs, etc. These people are not poor.
  • Dancing_Laeti
    Dancing_Laeti Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Quote: She explained: 'There's no way I could get a job. I don't feel bad about the taxpayer funding my life and my child's medical problems, because I don't treat myself or buy anything excessive. I just get enough money to live on - the taxpayers should help fund my diet.'

I am furious that my tax money pays for her lifestyle. And she wants more. Simply incredible!
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    It costs nothing extra to eat at a caloric deficit. In fact, it costs less than eating at a caloric surplus.

But....but.....starvation mode

*snort* :laugh:
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    In to read later
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Nah, the NHS wouldn't give her liposuction if she didn't want to eat better and lose weight and stuff. If this article is accurate (and that is very unlikely), the NHS wouldn't spend money on her if they thought she wouldn't make lifestyle changes.

There is a lot of scare-mongering about people on benefits in the UK, in line with the Conservative agenda, to make people think that people on benefits are scroungers who don't deserve a life of luxury paid for by honest hard-working tax-payers, blah blah etc. I don't trust this article for a second. 50% of people who get money from the government are pensioners, and most of the rest are working but not earning enough to survive, and can't work more because the unemployment rates are really high right now. The press are biased and skew things to make the public hate people on benefits and this is a very good example of that.

It's the same in the US.

lol should have read more. Hope this article isn't true!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Maybe she could try fasting such as the 5:2 and save some money for swimming!
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets trash on people living in poverty wooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets trash on people living in poverty wooooooooooooooooooooooo

Poverty? Looks like she is living pretty good to me.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options

yea man being able to afford some cookies means you are def not living on or below the poverty line MY BAD
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ... can't afford health food but she can afford name brand junk... let that one sink in a bit.

The chips ahoy alone run almost 5 bucks here. She could have bout a bag of rice, some chicken and veggies, enough for a whole healthy meal with what it cost for that single box of cookies.

*edited* To add I just realized she makes about 6000 dollars a year more than me living on government money. Which makes me want to punch her in the throat with the bag of cookies.

^ This! I too wanted to punch her in the throat for complaining when she gets way more money than me...while I work and she does nothing! *grumbles* I actually figured out the cost of my healthy lunch today, beause I'm a nerd like that, and it cost me $1.23. That was for my sandwich on 100% whole wheat bread (Sara Lee...see even a name brand) and a serving of fresh grapes. Eating healthy can actually be quite inexpensive...sure as crap cheaper than poptarts and chips ahoy!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options

yea man being able to afford some cookies means you are def not living on or below the poverty line MY BAD

It's not the cookies. Its the fact that she can afford the ink and hair dye, but wants others to foot the bill for getting healthy.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

It's not the cookies. Its the fact that she can afford the ink and hair dye, but wants others to foot the bill for getting healthy.

Exactly! Tattoos are definitely not cheap let alone the piercings and the hair colour.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    No sympathy here and I know the struggle of being “that fat” BUT I never tried to blame food costs or imply I was “forced” to buy junk food. Nonsense!

My “healthy food” costs no more than what I previously spent on “junk food.”

Actually – I now spend the same or less…no more 4 slices of pizza, “bags” of chips, “extra” fast food pit stops because I was “starved.”

The list goes on.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options

I have a feeling you have no idea what poverty is? People living in poverty do not live in the manner that she is living. Most people in poverty do not get the luxury of pop tart brand of pastries. They many times do not get the luxury of food beyond top ramen, beans and rice. Most people I know in my country that live in poverty work 40 hours a week and do not get government assistance or hand outs, that is poverty.

She got pregnant and quit school at 15 and now has a nice roof over her head, clothes for her and her child and a pantry filled with food. That is not poverty.

Wanna see poverty? Come to India with me next month. I will show you poverty.

When you watch a father and his son with a shovel going through the dump where hotels drop their garbage looking for food, then you will know poverty.

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    This article makes me sad. I don't give a rip about her and her excuses, but those beautiful kids.....sigh. Learning terrible habits to set them up for failure. Awesome.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The clue is in the link - this is posted in the Daily Mail. Entirely written to wind people up. Story ends there.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My husband is from the UK, I just sent him the article and he went on a rant about how much cheaper fresh food is in the UK compared to the cost of junk food and take away (take-out). PLUS...it's the UK, you don't need a gym membership! There are soooo many things you can do to get exercise it's ridiculous, you're not limited to an outdoor run. Ugh.

in the UK you can get gym membership on prescription from your doctor so you dont have to pay!

G.P referrals aren't actually free, they are concessionary.... But a good point in principle.

She wants to live with PCOS, be Coeliacs and living on a tight budget.... How the heck does she afford all those brand named foods, not to mention the tattoos and piercings - I want more ink, but I can't afford it - maybe I should ask for some benefits to help me pay for them, after all my hubby and I work, that's probably why we are living on a tight budget, working for a living is not financially viable in the UK.

I've managed to lose over 50% of my body weight, despite being Coeliac, having a teenage daughter and suffering with PCOS - it's called dedication, realisation and getting off your fat *kitten* and walking - after all that's free.

xXx
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    Didnt read the story, nor will I, but from some of the posts I gather that someone's attitude is:

"I am overweight because I cant afford to be underweight. I can do it, but I need other people to pay me to do it."

Is this a valid assumption?

If so, I can quit my job tomorrow if someone can point me where I can sign up for this.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    "I tried swimming but it cost £22 a month and it meant I had to cut back on my favourite pizza and Chinese takeaways."

Uhmmmm OK...

You want more money...
    Heres my $.02- grow a garden and learn to cook without a microwave.