Just lost on phen now how to maintain

Options

Replies

• KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 21 lbs (in two weeks, but I was over 400 lbs) on phentermine from my doc. I only took it 2 weeks cuz it raised my blood pressure dramatically. When I came off it I just continued to eat in a deficit and exercise. I haven't gained back any of the weight I lost.

If you plan on maintaining or losing more the best thing you can do is let your dr evaluate you (for fitness purposes if you haven't exercised yet), and just watch the calorie intake.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    How are you even getting phen? It was deemed "unsafe" and "outlawed" multiple years ago! Stop, please you don't know what you are doing to your cardiac status!

Fen-Phen was outlawed. Phen is still around and legal.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
    Didn't the phen plan come with nutrition education? It certainly should have.

If it didn't... and you feel like you don't know how to eat right, consider starting with something educational, like phase 3 of South Beach.

Best of luck, hope you can figure out what works!

I was on Phen a few years ago, and no, my Dr. didnt give me any nutrition guide or exercise plan. She just told me how to take it and for 3 months, then stop (to avoid getting the body use to it) and WHEN I started to gain the weight back, she put me back on it.

Lets just say, I gained ALL plus some back, no motivation (couldnt eat, didnt want to nor had the energy), no energy and felt sluggish and blah! After gaining it all back, I was back to square one, to lose the weight (Yet again). Unfortunately I failed, but some may have better luck than I.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Phen is an appetite suppressant. Weigh and log everything you eat this last week while you're still on it. If, in that week, you eat, say, 1,500 calories on average every day and you lose 1 lb, then that is how many calories per day you need to net to lose 1 lb per week. After you get off of phen, set your MyFitnessPal goals with those numbers in mind. If you only have a few more lbs to lose, then you should have your settings on ".5 lb loss/week" in the Goals setting on MyFitnessPal.

YOU are one smart cookie!
    :heart:

OP; this sounds like a very sensible approach.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I don't even know she obtained the Phen!!!!!!!! It was outlawed. If she lost weight, that's great. Congrats. However, I hate see the overall impact on her cardiac status. Best to do it the old fashioned way - exercise and portion control. It takes longer, yes, but in the end, it will teach us to take control of food and not the other way around. Bless her heart.

There is a cousin to this drug, phentermine. This is what I bet the OP is taking. This is what my Dr. prescribed me and many others.
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Phen is basically legal speed. The risks and side effects outweigh the results you may see on the scale. I speak from personal experience. That **** will wreck your metabolism and your sleep cycle.

So true. I tried it, it is like speed! I sweat all the time, had anxiety, terrible headaches but I sure wasn't hungry! It also gave me the WORST breath on the planet. If you can't learn to eat less all by yourself you will gain the weight back.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Phen is also associated with pulmonary fibrosis, which can crop up during *or after* use.

It's rare, but so serious I would never consider taking phen. Being mildly overweight (in your case--obese in my case) is not so serious a problem that I would want to increase my risk of death to fix it.
  • jengragg
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I will certainly use it. I joined MFP for help, not critisim. I gained weight after I turned 30 and previously tried to lose the weight through weight watchers. I am on 15 mg and being monitored by my physician. I KNOW all the affects of phen. I plan to continue to eat clean and get active. I am not the type that will hit the gym everyday as much as I wish I was. I work full time with 2 teens I am constantly hauling around. Yes, phen helped me get here, but the decisions I made while on the phen is ultimately how I lost the weight. 20 pounds is a lot for me and I feel it IS a huge accomplishment.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    And your accomplishment should be celebrated, not denigrated. Several people suggested working with the prescribing doc on a maintenance plan, and I think that is best.

For your own fitness and feeling better, work with your doc on a plan that includes exercise. I am saddened that the doc did not suggest exercise while you were on it, but perhaps that would have cause more problems.

MFP and the people that have had success strongly encourages the simple method of LIFELONG fitness, starting by eating less and exercising more. Many have yo-yo'd up and down from fast-fix pills and other miracle solutions. Some people are more blunt than others. If it sounds like criticism, it is because everyone wants you to enjoy LONG-term health. My criticism: the doc is at fault for not working with you on a maintenance plan before you began the regimen so you would segue into it. It takes time to establish good habits, no way around the time.
  • jengragg
    Options
    And your accomplishment should be celebrated, not denigrated. Several people suggested working with the prescribing doc on a maintenance plan, and I think that is best.

For your own fitness and feeling better, work with your doc on a plan that includes exercise. I am saddened that the doc did not suggest exercise while you were on it, but perhaps that would have cause more problems.

MFP and the people that have had success strongly encourages the simple method of LIFELONG fitness, starting by eating less and exercising more. Many have yo-yo'd up and down from fast-fix pills and other miracle solutions. Some people are more blunt than others. If it sounds like criticism, it is because everyone wants you to enjoy LONG-term health. My criticism: the doc is at fault for not working with you on a maintenance plan before you began the regimen so you would segue into it. It takes time to establish good habits, no way around the time.

Thank u! My doc did suggest exercise... I just always put it off. Isn't there a magic pill that will make me workout? ;). Just kidding!!! I KNOW I have to workout to truely be where I want to be. I am trying to be practical about it though because I know how am I when it comes to working out. Clean eating is definitely easier for me than committing to go to the gym. I am going to try to ease myself into the workout routine. Maybe start by walking around the neighborhood a few days a week.

I will most definitely log my calorie intake for the next week and love the suggestion on adding 100 calories at a time.
  • roeroe5
    Options
    Grats on the loss and making goal weight :flowerforyou:
    Don't stop it cold turkey, never a good thing. Ask your doc to rather start weaning you off it.
    That said, only way you will maintain is by keeping a VERY close eye on your cals, if you slack, you'll be gaining without even noticing it.
    Getting active is a great start. You'll have to work for it from now on, phen was only a crutch.
    (Note: i'm not using it)
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Maybe try finding an activity you enjoy, you don't necessarily have to go t the gym to be active.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP for help, not critisim.

Just keep in mind that telling the truth is not criticism, and asking for advice on a public forum certainly opens you up to such truth-telling.

When people are rude, or share their uneducated/inexperienced opinion like it's a fact, that's one thing. We've all experienced those things on here and it's no fun!

But calmly and directly speaking the truth is actually something very important we should do for one another. Especially on a site such as this where people are often in denial and do lots of harmful things to themselves. Such as taking potentially harmful diet pills which have never worked long-term for anyone and then expecting this to fix their disordered eating problems simply because they lost some weight.

The fact that you "KNOW all the affects of phen" and still take it anyway, the fact that you "joke" about "magic pills for exercise" and such, the fact that you feel you are too busy for exercise, the fact that you believe you'll just suddenly start eating better and exercising once you're off the pills...all of these things *strongly* point to a person who is living in denial. I'm not trying to be rude at all when I say that. I'm telling you this from personal experience...this kind of thinking cannot sustain you long term and can in fact make things even worse for you later. The magic pill mentality doesn't just go away.

I sincerely hope you're a rare anomaly. I guess I'm just saying your odds are not good. I would suggest that as you talk to your doc about weaning yourself off this junk, you'd also go talk to a good therapist who specializes in women's body issues. Getting your mind straight is just as important as being a healthy weight. Good luck to you, sincerely.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Maybe try finding an activity you enjoy, you don't necessarily have to go t the gym to be active.

This is great advice. Make a list of all the activities you enjoy. Do any of them include physical activity? If so, do more of those things. Try out some new ones you haven't before. If you hate being in a gym maybe take an outdoor yoga class or if your an animal lover volunteer at your local animal shelter to walk dogs and give them a break from the kennels. Or maybe you could volunteer at a nursing home to do activities with the seniors? Or do one of those neighborhood cleanup projects or habitat for humanity? Sometimes when I can't motivate myself to be active for myself, I can do it because I want to help someone else.... just a thought :)
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    How are you even getting phen? It was deemed "unsafe" and "outlawed" multiple years ago! Stop, please you don't know what you are doing to your cardiac status!

True story........A guy I went to high school with had a heart attack at his moms house about 10 years ago.....Really nice guy, taught Math at college.......his name was Drew

After falling down the flight of stairs, only to have his parents try CPR and lose their son right in front ot them.......The autopsy stated heart attack, and his mom stated that her son acted high and full of energy, couldnt sleep and was racing all the time......He only needed to lose about 20 lbs ......really sad, he was their only son.........I wouldnt take that shet for anything.......causes to much pain for such a small gain..........
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Just keep in mind that telling the truth is not criticism, and asking for advice on a public forum certainly opens you up to such truth-telling.

When people are rude, or share their uneducated/inexperienced opinion like it's a fact, that's one thing. We've all experienced those things on here and it's no fun!

But calmly and directly speaking the truth is actually something very important we should do for one another. Especially on a site such as this where people are often in denial and do lots of harmful things to themselves. Such as taking potentially harmful diet pills which have never worked long-term for anyone and then expecting this to fix their disordered eating problems simply because they lost some weight.

The fact that you "KNOW all the affects of phen" and still take it anyway, the fact that you "joke" about "magic pills for exercise" and such, the fact that you feel you are too busy for exercise, the fact that you believe you'll just suddenly start eating better and exercising once you're off the pills...all of these things *strongly* point to a person who is living in denial. I'm not trying to be rude at all when I say that. I'm telling you this from personal experience...this kind of thinking cannot sustain you long term and can in fact make things even worse for you later. The magic pill mentality doesn't just go away.

I sincerely hope you're a rare anomaly. I guess I'm just saying your odds are not good. I would suggest that as you talk to your doc about weaning yourself off this junk, you'd also go talk to a good therapist who specializes in women's body issues. Getting your mind straight is just as important as being a healthy weight. Good luck to you, sincerely.

+1
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

+ A MILLION!
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a question best answered by your doc.

add: I don't condemn you for using phen but I do question your *doc's* competence if he gave you a prescription drug intended for the morbidly obese when you only had 21 lbs to lose.

If you are sane minded and only want to use it for a hmp (Ie. stuck at weight despite trying), the doctor will weigh all considerations before giving it to you. For this kind of treatment, the doctor probably gave her a month or two month set up and no more refills after that since for her type of weight loss, it is a short term weight loss. Like me, I am only Apidex, but my BMI is still considered to be in the obese range, but my doctor has given it to people who are in the healthy BMI who want to lose those last ten pounds, etc.
    How to maintain, set up a meal plan and know your calories. Let yourself have room for healthy snacks.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options

+1

You guys do realize if she's on the new form of phen (no the old one that caused the heart issues), it's just as safe as any other drug right?
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Just from experience, I was unable to maintain on Phen. I didnt go overboard on eating either when I stopped. I ate very little while on it, so when I picked up just normal eating habits again, it screwed me up big time. I would ask your doc. They seem to throw this stuff at ya, then when it comes to maintenance, they have no advice.