Losing weight with a focus on fat only

Options
I'm looking to lose weight, but want to try and lose body fat mostly and keep the muscle I have. I don't have a ton of time to workout (half hour a day max) and don't have any weights so I'm just doing calisthenics and pilates at home.

Has anyone here experienced significant body fat reduction by drastically changiing their nutritional intake? I take in a very low amount of fat but about 60% or more of my calories come from carbohydrates. Perhaps someone could help me out.

Appreciate the read and assistance.

Replies

• dwarfiegodsmack
    dwarfiegodsmack Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    hey there :o)

if 60% is coming from carbs, then the remaining 40% is coming from protein and fat, which i personally don't think is enough.

check out the IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) calculator - plug in your numbers and it will give you the macro breakdown that is more suitable

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat you will not be able to build muscle and will likely lose some muscle. I would eat good food but at a calorie deficit. I also personally feel like cardio gives the most bang for the buck for fat reduction. I know that time is an issue but if you could get a good hour of running in several days a week it should get the fat burn going.
  • Rpmmachine
    Rpmmachine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the macros information. Could you explain it to me? I've never seen this before.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    As long as you're getting enough protein (about 1g/lb of lean body mass) I don't think the other macros (fat & carbs) matter much. Calories in calories out.

Strength training to maintain muscles.
    Calorie deficit to lose weight (mostly fat)

This is an oversimplified view.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat you will not be able to build muscle and will likely lose some muscle. I would eat good food but at a calorie deficit. I also personally feel like cardio gives the most bang for the buck for fat reduction. I know that time is an issue but if you could get a good hour of running in several days a week it should get the fat burn going.

OP needs to mix in some sort of progressive overload training to optimally preserve muscle mass. Yes, cardio has a large caloric burn, but "bang for the buck" when it comes to lowering BF% needs to include progressive overload in the equation. The progressive overload is imperative to LBM retention.