Any ladies lose weight while on their period?

Options
I weigh every day just to keep track of the little ups and downs over the month, but instead of gaining a few pounds this time, I've been losing as if I weren't on my period. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Be glad. I always gain a few pounds of water weight.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I always experience my biggest loss of the month in the last 3-5 days BEFORE my period. During my period my weight does not go up, but I also don't lose again until the week AFTER.

In most threads of this type it seems like women gain during -- or perceive a gain due to water retention.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I tend to not lose the week before, and then have a big drop the week of. My theory is that the week before I'm putting on some water weight that is obscuring any real weight loss, and then when all those fluids go I see the drop in fluids and the 2 weeks of weight loss.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    That is the time that I lose the most weight or at least experience a consistent loss.

Usually I have a hard time eating, though for the past two cycles this doesn't seem to be the case but I have still had some weight loss.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I find a lose a little bit. About a week before my period is when I generally get bloated, and then once my period hits my bloat goes away, and so does the water weight I was holding.
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Never had a specific issue with period bloat so yes i still lose while on the rag :)
  • acookieclicker
    Options
    ...I'm pretty sure that I've peed an additional pound off today. Sorry, TMI, I know. :laugh:

Hahaha! I feel like that too! Sometimes I weight myself before and after my pees just to see how much the tank can hold. TMI too :P
  • jakesgirl05
    Options
    I lost a little when it started. I looked it up and saw we burn more calories before and during? That sounds awesome! I can understand why I lose after it starts and ends a bit easier. I decided, hey I'll stay active during that time and it will help more with the weight loss! Yes! Any help is great! Lol!
  • Chelseagirl68uk
    Options
    New to my fitness pal need friends lol
    I had same weight problem I lost 5 last week and 1 and half from 3 stone but then today mother nature how can I get there if this happens eat less calories for this week says gained 3 now got to loose another 5 by Sunday 28th
  • Chelseagirl68uk
    Options
    Feel free to add me ladies be nice to have daily messages recipe n general chat :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm usually my lightest on the last days.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I go up slowly before and then down quickly during/after.

It's just water retention. Don't let it get to you. :)
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I typically gain a pound or two that drop off a few days after it's over. However, I lost during my last one, likely due having a nasty virus at the same time (that combination was pure misery, let me tell you) and only eating like 800 calories for 4 days.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have been tracking both and it seems like I pack on a bunch of water weight around the time of ovulation, but keep on losing normally right through my period. Ovulation time is also when I seem to want to be lazy and eat a bunch lol.
  • LMS1230
    Options
    I have noticed in the past about a pound or two gain so I don't even bother to weigh anymore until a day or so after my cycle
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,566 Member
    Options
    I've gained 600 grams this time, which is slowly going down in the typical way so far: one day 300 grams less, second day another 100 grams. I'm starting with the pill again tonight. So looking at my previous measurements I should have lost another 400-500 tomorrow morning :D Lets see if that's really true.
  • RainbowMint
    RainbowMint Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I always gain. Just the past week I went down 3lbs after it ended x__x
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I gain 1-2 pounds about five days before, and it stays around until it's done...or, in the case of last month, for three weeks (thankfully it went away quickly this time!)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Women tend to gain weight on their periods from water retention and bloating but once that goes away, if you have stuck to your caloric goals (instead of PMS overeating which I always want to do) many women tend to find they've lost a pound or 2 because our metabolism actually revs up really high when we menstrate. So if you keep a decent calorie deficit during that time it's like you get a monthly weight loss boost. Like your body stepped on the accelerator for a moment. For the longest time I couldn't figure out why after my period my stomach always looked flatter than it had the entire month before, lol.