Question about step counters

Options
I have tried using my iPhone 5 as a step counter, and am considering a fitbit as an alternative. However, when using the iPhone, it logs steps when I drive the riding lawnmower or ride in my car as if I had walked or run that distance. It's a major inconvenience to have to remember to pull out my phone and turn it off for activities like that. Does the fitbit or other step counter gadget sense when you probably aren't walking?

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    As far as I know all pedometers count your steps by the vibrations generated by your movement. The vibrations in a car or mower or motorcycle... whatever are likely to register.

So to answer your question directly, no.
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    My "Ozeri 4x3razor Digital Pocket 3D Pedometer" only counts steps. I wear it all day, every day, and never have to turn it off. Occasionally, I count my steps and compare it to the step counter and it is always pretty accurate.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have tried using my iPhone 5 as a step counter, and am considering a fitbit as an alternative. However, when using the iPhone, it logs steps when I drive the riding lawnmower or ride in my car as if I had walked or run that distance. It's a major inconvenience to have to remember to pull out my phone and turn it off for activities like that. Does the fitbit or other step counter gadget sense when you probably aren't walking?

I've had a FitBit, MisFit Shine, and now a Vivosmart, and none of them register driving as walking steps. If I am going over some REALLY bumpy area, it might register a step or two, but it is pretty rare.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The fitbit will log anything that includes steps and doesn't count things like riding a mower or driving in the car automatically. It will not sense a bike ride or weight lifting type activities and count those automatically. You can however log those in MFP and it will sync with the Fitbit ap so that you don't double count an activity. The only thing I have found with Fitbit is that if you are pushing something like a wheelchair, it is not good at sensing the steps.

I love mine!
  • pam_spears
    pam_spears Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback :)
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit but I have the one not the flex