How do you measure out popped popcorn?

Options
I really enjoy eating microwave popcorn. I know it is not the healthiest way, but after a long day with six kids, it's all I have the oomph for. How would you measure out and log the popcorn? It is the only thing on my diary that is not accurately measured.

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I make mine on the stove, but it says 3Tbs of kernals make 5 Cups of popcorn, and that each serving is 1 Cp. I just use a regular measuring cup to scoop out a serving, and it comes pretty close to 5 servings that way...

Also, side note, not sure how many calories are in microwave popcorn (I dont own a microwave) but a cup of stovetop popcorn is like 25Cals, I make it with 1 1/2 Tbs Coconut Oil (which has health benefits and tastes pretty good in the popcorn too) so in total, each serving stacks up to only about 60Cals. I also use a butter flavor shaker, that is about 2Cal for the whole bowl of 5Cups, so the per serving calorie count is negligible.

So thats something to consider maybe, so that it will be more of a healthy snack? And even though its more "labor intensive" than popping something in the microwave, you have more control over what goes into it, and can do all sorts of things to it for variety too, like sometimes Ill put in herbs, or Ill shake it up with some vanilla and cinnamon. Also, the kids might find the whole process entertaining...my kiddo is 17 and she still comes in the kitchen to watch me make popcorn. :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's accurately measured if you use a scale.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prima-PDP100-Popper-Popcorn-Maker/dp/B00008WFDQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411638141&sr=8-1&keywords=popcorn+maker+duck

I have one of these!! Am shocked at the price- I might sell it :)

No oil involved here. Just the kernels - I add salt and lots of black pepper to serve.

I don't weigh it - though I probably should. Would be able to just weigh the kernels.
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I need to find out how to post a link...
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a serving size thing on the box of popcorn? U can always follow that?

I don't normally measure my popcorn, because I just love it too much just to eat the serving size recommended.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I just put a bowl on top of my scales, set the scales at 0 then pour in the Popcorn.
    Because Popcorn's so light, you do get a lot of popcorn (per gram), as opposed to other foods.
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So if I pop 50g of http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267275887 (Typical values 100g as consumed - 375cal) Does that mean that the popping kernels have 375cal per 100g or that the popped popcorn without anything added to them have 375cal?

I usually just air-pop them with spray oil, which is like 2 cal per spray.

Lately I've just been eating ready popped popcorn because they have a set cal amount that isn't complicated :P
  • Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    <
    popping kernels have 375cal per 100g----> THIS
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just buy the 100 calorie bags
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    So if I pop 50g of http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=267275887 (Typical values 100g as consumed - 375cal) Does that mean that the popping kernels have 375cal per 100g or that the popped popcorn without anything added to them have 375cal?
    Not quite sure.....:huh:
    But i would log it under "Homemade Airpopped Popcorn" which is 77 cals per 25g (popped).
  • AngeliqueAcee
    AngeliqueAcee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure.....:huh:
    But i would log it under "Homemade Airpopped Popcorn" which is 77 cals per 25g (popped).

Yeah it confused me alot. They should really make things clear.
    <
    popping kernels have 375cal per 100g----> THIS

Think I might follow this! Thank you :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I just put a bowl on top of my scales, set the scales at 0 then pour in the Popcorn.
    Because Popcorn's so light, you do get a lot of popcorn (per gram), as opposed to other foods.
    ^This
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I make my own popcorn in the microwave.

A brown lunch sack
    1/4 c of popcorn kernals
    Fold the top twice (not too far down the bag, leave plenty of room for popping)
    Microwave until the pops are less than 5 seconds apart.

The entire bag of popcorn (as much you'd get in a store bought microwave bag) is 130 calories
    I melt a 1/2 tbsp of butter (then sprinkle with salt and toss) over mine for an added 50 calories... so only 180 calories.... for the entire bag.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Lately i have given up on using measuring cups. I have a food scale that measures in OZ and G. So that is how i do almost every thing lately.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Just whey it, yo :laugh:
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Just whey it, yo :laugh:

whey??
  • mysecretself
    Options
    use a scale
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I make my own microwave popcorn in a brown paper bag. You can weigh the kernels that way. Plus you have complete control over what you season or top it with. You can get quite creative too. I use hot sauce a lot, sometimes I use Ms Dash ranch seasoning, chili powder, garlic powder, etc. Sky's the limit!
  • astroophys
    astroophys Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Get an air popper if you can. $20 on amazon. I weigh my popcorn with a food scale. 1 cup popped is about 30 calories.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Probably being dim here but couldnt you just weigh out the unpopped kernels and use that to calculate your cals. Then pop and eat