This is all BRAND NEW to me! Words of advice??

Options
I've been a member for a while, I signed up mainly to track my calories... I wasn't ready then to commit myself to change. I'm ready now!!!
To start, in my early twenties I was in amazing shape, I worked out normally around 2 hours/day, my body fat was under 10%, I ate healthy, paid attention to carbs, calories etc.
Fast forward some years ;) and some kids... and now, according to my scale at home, my body fat is 36%!!!!! I shouldn't have purchased this scale! lol!
Now, I'm far from skinny, but I'm not obese, or by my own definition "fat". I'm 5'7" and 160lbs. I think I've just lost pretty much all of my muscle tone, and gained some "softness" all over my body!
I honestly don't know where to start here. Being a mother and the fact that I've recently started my own business, I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to going to the gym ( I don't have any time to dedicate to it!)
I do have a Gazelle set up in a back room at work, but that's the extent of my accessible equipment. About a week ago, I started paying closer attention to what I've been eating, and I've been drinking more water than I ever have (I've never really liked water too much). I'm not really a "planner" when it comes to meals and cooking healthy for my large family is very difficult due to my picky eaters! I'm not against cooking separate meals for myself, but again, I don't know where to start.
I could use some friendly advice, and/or suggestions.
I'll stop rambling now ;) Thanks!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

and make sure to read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

...and here's another approach.

Block off 6 weeks. log EXACTLY what you eat for those six weeks, weigh at the beginning, weight at the end. If you've lost, you're eating under your TDEE. If you haven't lost, congrats.. you found your TDEE, if you've gained... then you're above TDEE.

From there, look at how much you lost or gained and you have a rough estimate of how to shift your intake to balance it out.

Online calculators are great, but they're just estimates. They give you decent ideas for starting points. From there, it's on you to fine tune it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This ^
  • TKTown
    TKTown Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bing your question before asking on here for advice.
  • TKTown
    Options

What question exactly should I have "Bing'd" instead of asking here?
    I asked for friendly advice and/or suggestions. I'm sorry if you didn't like my question, but I think it's a legitimate request for this forum. Thanks for taking the time to respond though!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Here is my small bit of advice. when adding personal recipes or meals to your database, name them consistently. if sometimes you call them 'joe's turkey dinner' and sometimes 'joes meatloaf'' the apostrophe will make things less easy to look up.
  • jennifurballs
    jennifurballs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't know your age, but based on your height, it sounds like you could do some toning/exercise and achieve the physical results your looking for. If you can't get away to a gym, there are plenty of resistance exercises you could do at home and get a few dumb bells and maybe a kettle bell.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    The following is just the stuff I think helped me lose. It is not necessarily the gospel, so tweak as needed :) My advice would be:
    1. make sure you are getting enough calories. You need to learn to eat the most cals with still being able to lose.
    2. Protein!!! Find out your lean body mass and eat around that number of protein!!
    3. Exercise. Get at least 30-60 minutes of INTENTIONAL exercise a day. I dont count shopping, cooking or cleaning.
    4. You will have bad days....move on!!! Dont say screw it and binge, or go the opposite and restrict.
    5. WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drink 8-10 glasses a day!!! I suck at this one!!!
    6. Smile because............YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TKTown
    Options
    Here is my small bit of advice. when adding personal recipes or meals to your database, name them consistently. if sometimes you call them 'joe's turkey dinner' and sometimes 'joes meatloaf'' the apostrophe will make things less easy to look up.

This will be very useful! Thank you!
  • TKTown
    Options
    I don't know your age, but based on your height, it sounds like you could do some toning/exercise and achieve the physical results your looking for. If you can't get away to a gym, there are plenty of resistance exercises you could do at home and get a few dumb bells and maybe a kettle bell.

Yes, I am definitely looking to tone. Thank you! I will be looking up exercises I can do at home/work that do not require gym equipment.
  • TKTown
    Options
    The following is just the stuff I think helped me lose. It is not necessarily the gospel, so tweak as needed :) My advice would be:
    1. make sure you are getting enough calories. You need to learn to eat the most cals with still being able to lose.
    2. Protein!!! Find out your lean body mass and eat around that number of protein!!
    3. Exercise. Get at least 30-60 minutes of INTENTIONAL exercise a day. I dont count shopping, cooking or cleaning.
    4. You will have bad days....move on!!! Dont say screw it and binge, or go the opposite and restrict.
    5. WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drink 8-10 glasses a day!!! I suck at this one!!!
    6. Smile because............YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! Those bad days get me every time, but I will really try to just move past them, water is really tough for me also. 8-10 is much much more than I'm used to, but I'm working on it!!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site too, And after just one day I'm amazed at how much you learn from watching your intake. And I actually enjoy entering all my info. Good Luck!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options

I asked for friendly advice and/or suggestions. I'm sorry if you didn't like my question, but I think it's a legitimate request for this forum. Thanks for taking the time to respond though!

I'm saying, that you should research your question on Bing / Google before asking on here, because they'll tell you to look it up.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Eat food you like within you calorie allowance.

Don't panic over weight fluctuations.
  • TKTown
    Options

I'm saying, that you should research your question on Bing / Google before asking on here, because they'll tell you to look it up.

:wink: Gotcha!! So, you weren't telling me to bing my question asking for suggestions, you were just giving advice on question asking... noted, and Thank you!
  • MuayThaiMaMa1
    MuayThaiMaMa1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? When my daughter was young I got my exercise by roller blading while she rode her bike or taking walks around the block in the evening. You can even just turn music on and dance around with the kiddos for 30 minutes. You can incorporate exercise with the kids.

Maybe even get up 30 mins or 1 hour before them and do a workout video 30 day shred is awesome.

As far as eating goes, what helped me a lot was after grocery shopping once I put the food away I would then prep my snacks. Get little sandwich or snack size zip locks and put grapes or carrots or whatever fruits and veggies you like in baggies. I would also boil enough eggs for the week. Whenever I need a snack or to grab something on the go I would just reach into the fridge and grab a bag or in the cup board if it was granola or trail mix etc.

Depending on the age of your kids it's good for them too. Nice health snacks ready to go.

One other thing that I think parents tend to do is eat their kids left overs so they don't go to waste. If you do that then stop it lol....

Lastly, something to keep in mind is, whatever eating habits you have now your kids will mostly likely develop them as well. Think twice about what you feed them and yourself. Set a good example and do the best you can to eat fresh healthy foods like fruits and veggies. The less processed the food is the healthier everyone will be.

Best of luck to you!