1200 calorie set vs. BMR results

Options
I am confused about one thing...which is better to follow, the 1200 cal. goal auto set or what my BMR says? I want the best possible out come for weight loss so I need to know which is best to follow? I understand about eating the exercise calories...it makes total sense to me. I am just not sure where my calorie intake goal should be set.

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You BMR is just a tool to help you calculate how many calories you burn in a day, so you can figure out a healthy deficit. So go with what mfp says, if it is 1200 then make sure you get to at least there every day :]
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My BMR is like 1370 or something, and MFP had me at 1200 calories. Honestly, I know that 1200 calories is the MINIMUM a person needs to maintain normal bodily function, so I upped mine to 1300. Which...there isn't much of a deficit then, and I don't think I'll be losing weight fast at all!
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is what you need to consume to stay at your current weight. MFP creates the necessary deficit to LOSE weight, but I agree that you don't want to go below 1200 or your body will start thinking it's in starvation mode. Just think -- you can eat every calorie you exercise! ;o)
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So maybe I should leave my calorie goal at 1200? I have about 90 pounds to lose and while it took me 20 years to get that I don't want to take 20 years to lose it! I know this is not Biggest Loser but I am hoping to have most of it gone within a year.
  • Naomi91
    Options
    Your BMR is what you need to consume to stay at your current weight. MFP creates the necessary deficit to LOSE weight, but I agree that you don't want to go below 1200 or your body will start thinking it's in starvation mode. Just think -- you can eat every calorie you exercise! ;o)

Actually you BMR is how much you burn if youy stayed in bed all day without moving xD not something we normally do haha :]
  • Naomi91
    Options
    So maybe I should leave my calorie goal at 1200? I have about 90 pounds to lose and while it took me 20 years to get that I don't want to take 20 years to lose it! I know this is not Biggest Loser but I am hoping to have most of it gone within a year.

I would suggest trying out 1200 and see what you think :] if after a week, you feel tired and sick all the time go ahead and bump it up a little. Its something you kind of have to see for yourself :]
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Actually you BMR is how much you burn if youy stayed in bed all day without moving xD not something we normally do haha :]

Yeah, exactly. The BMR is lying in bed, breathing. Even if you ate in bed, you would burn more calories from digestion. If you watched TV, you would burn more calories. BMR = BASIC Metabolic Rate.
    That's why some people don't encourage adding things like "brushing teeth" and "cooking" as part of the exercise.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone! I am getting it now! I have only been here for 3 days but I have learned a lot!