Days Off

Options
Does anybody else get really antsy on days they dont exercise? I know days off are important but it seems hard to 'put it down' for the day

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Used to, but got over it. I keep two mantras going through me.

Diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness.

The body gets stronger on the rest days.

The second depends on stimulating the body. I hope you get to the point you can relax on your rest days. Have fun
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Usually the day before my scheduled 'rest day', I really go all out at the gym so that I wake up sore and feel good about taking the day off to repair :) I use the day before to try to increase my weights while strength training, and go further/faster in my cardio!

If you do get antsy on rest days perhaps you could go for a nice walk so you still feel accomplished and active. Or spend the time you'd usually work out on preparing a new healthy meal that you've never tried before. Something still goal-related that doesn't involve gym time.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've taken two days off thanks to a migraine that is holding on.

Naw, no antsy in my pantsy here.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This is why I DON'T take a day off, that way if something comes up, I say "I can risk it."

Each to their own.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get some agita over it- but I let it go- I am busy- and I train a lot- it's good to have down days.

If I'm feeling really good- I'll do a little extra but most of the time I try to contain my workouts to my 3-4 days.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on that one. I do one of the DVD workout routines that is 6 days a week with 1 day off. But on that day I always feel like something is missing from my day.

I have since starting doing a bit of Ab work on that day and it makes me feel better.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    never had that problem
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No. You learn to appreciate your days off once you've been working out long enough.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My days off are my husband's workout days. I don't really get a choice in the matter, unless I want to do some non-lifting workout.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I do get antsy if it's an "unexpected" day off. I hate missing workouts and luckily it's a rare occurrence. Otherwise, I do plan rest days into my workout week and those I usually need and look forward to.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me in the least to take a day off each week. I get in a little TV time which is difficult on workout days between school, work and the time in the gym or out running. I know my body is growing stronger and healing on my rest days. If I really feel like I need to do something I'll go take a walk.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I get antsy because my day/days off are different every week. The day I have the most crap to do or I'm out with my BF, that's a rest day. So at the beginning of the week I stress about how I'm going to get it all done and which days I'm hitting what. And I do get antsy on rest days. Maybe not the first, but the definitely if I have 2.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm very antsy on rest days! I always try to look forward to it the day before, but when it comes down to it, I just don't know what to do with myself!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    never had that problem

Same. I can take weeks off and be quite OK with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm generally active even on rest days. I still walk my dog on a rest day...I still have house work that needs done...I still have yard work that needs done, I still have a 2 y.o. and a 4 y.o. to tend to and try to keep entertained...plenty to do to keep busy.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Interesting answers all. I have been walking or doing a yoga dvd on days off and Im usually chasing the kids (5 and 3 plus a 2yo nephew on a regular basis) so I know I am being daft. Probably just cos its early days and feels so great.

Havent scheduled in a day off this week unless you count sat and sun coming up (but I am working 12 hour shifts in the emergency dept so its not so much) so next day off is Monday and I am actually going to make sure I try and enjoy it. Long term goals long term goals long term goals :D
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Just remember that your body is busy on your off days recovering and repairing. Let it do its thing and don't sweat it too much.

My off days are for resting and enjoying the extra hour(s) in my day. I take the puppy for a walk and run a little bit with her but that is about the extent of it.