foods for sugar cravings?

Options
I find myself having sugar cravings a few times a week, and my diet already consists of lots of fruit, so sometimes that doesnt do the trick. I might get a glass of milk or a protein bar, but other than that I have no idea what to do for the cravings and eventually end up diving into a box of dry cereal or the candy bowl. What do you guys and gals reach for when you have a sweet tooth but still want stay with in your calorie/sugar/carbs limit?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've found that I can eat most things that I want and still stay within my calorie targets. Its OK if its in moderation, so treat yourself every once in a while.. just don't go overboard.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have a bag of small chocolates in my desk, and grab one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Suck on an organic lollipop.
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    halloween is a great time to stock up on fun size candies. smarties, sweettarts, sprees, the little sugar pellets. i find that the more intense the flavor is, the faster it's calms that sugar craving. that or a tiny bit of really good chocolate. no need to dive face first into a candy bowl. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    halloween is a great time to stock up on fun size candies. smarties, sweettarts, sprees, the little sugar pellets. i find that the more intense the flavor is, the faster it's calms that sugar craving. that or a tiny bit of really good chocolate. no need to dive face first into a candy bowl. :)

That would never work for me. Wish it could. I need to buy a thing that is a serving or 2, eat it all, and that's that. I would sit around eating a whole bag of halloween candy if it was there.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy, but when I have sugar cravings, I have something with sugar in it...preferably a Twix.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I might chew a piece of gum if I don't actually want to eat something sweet, but if I'm having a real hankering, I'll just eat whatever it is (in moderate portion).

Twix=yum. Same with Heath bars.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What do you guys and gals reach for when you have a sweet tooth but still want stay with in your calorie/sugar/carbs limit?

Usually nothing (maybe fruit), because I often have a half cup of ice cream after dinner, if I have the calories, and so I just tell myself to wait for that. There's nothing that difficult about fitting the ice cream in, now that I exercise regularly. Even if I'm not having the ice cream that night I know I'll have it soon.

On occasion I buy a small bit of good chocolate from a local lunch place and have that. It's usually about 50 calories, and satisfies me.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello and Russell Stover sugar free chocolate truffle and 1 dove promises dark chocolate.
  • Sarahclaybaugh
    Sarahclaybaugh Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that my sugar cravings come mid afternoon. I tend to get them if I haven't eaten for 3-4 hours. I try to keep food bars in the fridge at work (the chocolaty/peanut butter ones taste WAY better cold) and have one of those. I am picky about which food bars I eat, though, and try to keep them under 200 calories, otherwise it's almost no better than going to the vending machine and buying a candy bar. That usually helps curb my cravings and it works well into my caloric intake for the day. If I really feel like it's overindulging, I'll go for a quick walk/run to make myself feel better about it.