For girls who lift or men who know?

Options

Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Your caloric intake is what will determine if you bulk, cut, or remain the same. Adding more intensity to your training by adding weight with lower reps can be and usually a good thing. Try it and see how you like it. You can always add an additional exercise after the big three with higher reps like 8-10 or 10-12 if isolation moves for more volume.

P.S. Throat punch your friend for the advise he or she gave. J/K.... no really do it. :laugh: :tongue: :happy:
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Scroll towards the bottom, till you see a picture under "Staci Now". To get to that point she has been eating 3000-4000 cals per day for months, and burning most of it off. She is 5'4", and 142lbs in the more muscle-y one. 131lbs in the one that has a bit more fat in it. This is up from her low of 117lbs (Didn't like how she looked and felt), which is down from her starting weight of 170lb.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm sick and freaking tired of everyone demonizing bulky women. I am strong. I have endurance. I am fast. I am bulky. I don't care if someone looks long and lean in a pair of leggings. I can most likely kick their a##. I understand that this is subjective, as someone else my height and weight with similar BF might not consider themselves bulky but I do consider them so. And I think those women should be proud as heck of their mass gains!

Okay, I feel I've gotten bulkier than most without really trying. I eat at maintenance. I have almost 130 pounds of lean mass and I am only 5'5". I have been lifting for strength, not mass gains. I don't mind being bulky though. My body is naturally built for doing stuff, not having a thigh gap. I am an anomaly and there is nothing wrong with me and I refuse to let everyone keep shaming "bulky women" who are often kick-butt athletes! It's genetics!

Yep, 6 pack=lower body fat.

Up to 5 reps is generally used in strength progressions. If you are looking for hypertrophy, continue on with the 8-12 reps and clean up your diet to a fat loss plan.

Yep.... :bigsmile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm sick and freaking tired of everyone demonizing bulky women. I am strong. I have endurance. I am fast. I am bulky. I don't care if someone looks long and lean in a pair of leggings. I can most likely kick their a##. I understand that this is subjective, as someone else my height and weight with similar BF might not consider themselves bulky but I do consider them so. And I think those women should be proud as heck of their mass gains!

Okay, I feel I've gotten bulkier than most without really trying. I eat at maintenance. I have almost 130 pounds of lean mass and I am only 5'5". I have been lifting for strength, not mass gains. I don't mind being bulky though. My body is naturally built for doing stuff, not having a thigh gap. I am an anomaly and there is nothing wrong with me and I refuse to let everyone keep shaming "bulky women" who are often kick-butt athletes! It's genetics!

Up to 5 reps is generally used in strength progressions. If you are looking for hypertrophy, continue on with the 8-12 reps and clean up your diet to a fat loss plan.

This is another excellent perspective and point!

And it depends on the person. Being bulky is beautiful. But, for some women it is very hard to get to that point. I'm not even sure it's possible for all women.
  • scubagirl608
    scubagirl608 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As has been said several times here, women do not have the hormones necessary to get really bulky. We do get muscle definition and tone with weight training--which are very good and healthy looking! If you've ever seen pictures of female weight lifters, and they are very bulky... they have taken steroids and testosterone to achieve that. They are compromising their health to force their body to bulk up.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Rep range has had absolutely ZERO effect on my progress. Nothing. Nada. Whether I do 6-8 or 12-15 reps, I do not grow. However, I do eat at maintenance so contingent on your goals/food intake, your results could differ.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You won't just get bulky, that doesn't happen. It comes down to nutrition and hard work. Do people go to University and accidentally get degrees?

best response I've read in months. strong first post! :laugh: :laugh:
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, men do the same thing. After a certain time of lifting the routine feels slow and you just want to lift heavier, to be stronger. You will get injured. Strength is a slow progression and most lifters learn this the hard way - injuries.

I would increase the weight and stick with 3-4 sets of 10 controlled reps. Once you can do the reps, increase the weight slightly.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, men do the same thing. After a certain time of lifting the routine feels slow and you just want to lift heavier, to be stronger. You will get injured. Strength is a slow progression and most lifters learn this the hard way - injuries.

I would increase the weight and stick with 3-4 sets of 10 controlled reps. Once you can do the reps, increase the weight slightly.

huh???
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Get'em girl! :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, men do the same thing. After a certain time of lifting the routine feels slow and you just want to lift heavier, to be stronger. You will get injured.
    what?? what does that even mean?
    Strength is a slow progression and most lifters learn this the hard way - injuries.
    it's linear- and then it stops being linear- and becomes slow- I'm not sure what you're point is.
    I would go out of my gord doing 3-4 sets of 10 controlled reps.

no thanks- I'll pass.
  • cosmiqrust
    cosmiqrust Posts: 214 Member
    Options

probably the most motivating thing i'll read all day THANK YOU

barney-confetti.gif
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You can pick up heavy things all day long, but if you don't eat more calories (surplus) and gain weight, you will not get bigger/bulk up. It really is that simple. However, lifting heavy will do amazing things for your body shape. You'll love the results.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    DUCK, here comes a snarky comment, lol.

I wonder if her inherent bulkiness (more than most women who lift?) comes from her slightly higher testosterone level as evidenced by her angry rant, lol.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Scroll towards the bottom, till you see a picture under "Staci Now". To get to that point she has been eating 3000-4000 cals per day for months, and burning most of it off. She is 5'4", and 142lbs in the more muscle-y one. 131lbs in the one that has a bit more fat in it. This is up from her low of 117lbs (Didn't like how she looked and felt), which is down from her starting weight of 170lb.

DAMN! I want to look like Staci. Lot of weight to lose first mind
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Okay, I feel I've gotten bulkier than most without really trying. ...

I wouldn't consider you "bulky" in the sense that OP means. You're certainly not bulky like a bodybuilder or a man.

If a man had roughly your musculature, he's be considered fairly average. (No offense meant - you look great. Just not "bulky.")
    I wonder if her inherent bulkiness (more than most women who lift?) comes from her slightly higher testosterone level as evidenced by her angry rant, lol.

The "Jealousy" forum is the next one down.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DUCK, here comes a snarky comment, lol.

no testosterone here- and I barely call that an angry rant- hopefully we don't run into each other in real life- you'll be real scared then- I'm way more of a rager.

she has a legitimate point- there is nothing inheirently wrong with being "bulky" and none of her commentary is driven by higher testosterone- but the sheer fact it gets old as dirty hearing muscles are bad and being big is manly and bad... it's actually awesome.

PS- she's got some size- but she barely qualifies as bulky- I would say so confidently because we aren't far off in shapes- and I don't consider myself bulky at all. I think she looks great.

try again- and perhaps get your weight up so you can hang with the big girls.
  • aye_barbie13
    aye_barbie13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk. Women do not produce enough testosterone to get bulky. The only way it would is if you were taking a supplement or steroids that gave you more testosterone.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk. Women do not produce enough testosterone to get bulky. The only way it would is if you were taking a supplement or steroids that gave you more testosterone.

There are many, many woman who take anabolic steroids. Most pro figure women use steroids for their contest prep. There are a couple of woman in my gym that are on, and I have to say, she has has a lot of bulky muscle and looks awesome!
    As far as rep ranges go , those 5x5 strong lifts routines are for beginners who need to build a foundation.
    I prefer 10-15 reps, some exercises 20-25 reps. I like to feel the muscle contract on the positive portion of the rep, and control the negative portion. I get off on feeling a big pump in the muscle. I up the intensity with drop sets, super sets and giant sets. Just because I use high reps it doesn't mean its light weight. I get more benefit from bench pressing 225 for 20; reps then I do 315 for 5 reps..
    As far as looking bulky or ripped, that comes down to 100% diet
  • thunderseed
    thunderseed Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting about a year now. I've always lifted to 10 reps. Did 4 sets of DL, squats, and bench. I am now considering upping the weight and doing 3 sets of all of the above but only 5 reps. I was told by a friend that this could possibly make me bulk with the increasing weight? I don't eat a massive amount so I am not sure if that plays into it as well. I already have the low body fat. I am just looking to get a six pack. I have the top two already.

Well if all you want is a six pack, then what you really need to do is cut body fat and get ripped. You have your six pack muscle there, it's the body fat that is hiding it, so the only way to get rid of body fat is to do aerobic activities - mild to moderate exercise for a long amount of time, and also try to incorporate that with HIIT. If you can try not to reduce your calories, because that's just going to lower your metabolism, and you want a fast metabolism to burn more fat.

I'm sorry I didn't look at your profile so I'm not sure if you are male or female, but the unfortunate fact is if you are female this may or may not be an acheivable goal, because women are supposed to have a natural fat layer for giving birth. If your body has a natural fat layer it may be extremely difficult to cut down to a low body fat, and you should be aware of the risk that cutting down to a low body fat will require drastic caloric reducing, in other words starvation. And I would never advise anyone to turn to starvation or anorexia to acheive any goal. I think it's sad that so many people want to be so thin, why not strive for a healthy weight? If you think that being at a healthy weight will get in the way of your sports and fitness goals, you are wrong. Unless you are just doing it for vanity reasons and want to look like a person on a fitness poster, having some body fat is only going to help you perform better at sports! Some body fat is good for you :)

Even some men have a very hard time getting completely ripped and are healthier at healthy weights, but what we learn in our fitness courses is that men don't have as much body fat as women in general so it's easier for them to obtain low body fat levels.