Low Carb Soup

Options
Anyone have a low carb soup they like?

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    A lot of vegetable soups will be lower carb, depending on what goes in them. Any particular reason you're wanting low carb? I have a delicious potato soup recipe but I don't think that fits your bill...
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight by not eating lots of carbs....thanks but potatoe has tons of carbs....the low carb diet has worked for me in the past. thanks for replying to my post.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I make a homemade chicken stock from the carcasses I collect & toss into the freezer.

Then, when I have a good bit, I toss bones into crock pot with a splash of vinegar, a bit of ground turmeric carrots, celery stalks, onion, garlic & a few whole pepper corns.

Once the stock is made (a good 8 hrs on low usually does it for me) strain into a pot on the stove top to make your soup.

Season with salt, pepper, bay leaf, thyme etc.

I throw in diced chicken breast (lots of good protein right there) a bit of chopped celery, carrots ( not too much now) and some shirataki noodles if you like them. You can use veg-all but run it through the recipe builder first so you can see how many carbs per serving you've got going.

I keep to < 20g of carbs per day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've used this basic cream of soup recipe from SkinnyTaste a lot and loved it. Pretty much just boil any vegetables you want in some stock, puree with an immersion blender and add in full fat sour cream at the end. Delicious, satisfying and easily fits into an under 50g carb a day diet.

Cream of Zucchini Soup
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/cream-of-zucchini-soup-1-ww-point.html

I've always used a homemade chicken stock and full fat sour cream though so I can't vouch for the recipe exactly as written.
  • tashlm123
    tashlm123 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I quite often make a low carb soup. I use chicken stock, pumpkin, capsicum coliflour, and plenty of other low carb veg. Cook until mushy and then put through a blender. My kids (picky eaters) even like it
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    This minestrone recipe is yummy, and for less carbs and more protein put in mini turkey meatballs instead of noodles,(or even do half).
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you !!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I make a homemade chicken stock from the carcasses I collect & toss into the freezer.

Then, when I have a good bit, I toss bones into crock pot with a splash of vinegar, a bit of ground turmeric carrots, celery stalks, onion, garlic & a few whole pepper corns.

Once the stock is made (a good 8 hrs on low usually does it for me) strain into a pot on the stove top to make your soup.

You stole my recipe!! :laugh: Except that I don't do the vinegar and tumeric. I'm more into a handful of bay leaves and a mess of parsley stems in addition to the other veggies. It's a good use for shrunken mushrooms and tired celery and carrots.

To make it low fat as well, refrigerate it before you freeze it and lift the fat off the top.