reasons for certain diets

Options
i find it interesting that people will respond differently to you and your dietary selections based on your reasoning. for example: if i say that i have a disease and i can't eat pineapple or i will die, everyone is fine and supportive of my avoiding pineapple. or if someone is a vegan because they have a moral objections to eating animals, people are usually tolerant of that type of "reason." but if i just choose not to eat pineapple (or fish, or chicken or eggs...) then suddenly i feel that opens me to everyone giving me their opinions or chastising me for my choices. even family or friends who know me well. i'm not sure why it matters? shouldn't we all be supportive of each other?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Not eating pineapples because you'll die is valid, not eating them because you saw a Facebook meme saying pineapples will make you fat and then give you cancer.....not valid.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    i find it interesting that people will respond differently to you and your dietary selections based on your reasoning. for example: if i say that i have a disease and i can't eat pineapple or i will die, everyone is fine and supportive of my avoiding pineapple. or if someone is a vegan because they have a moral objections to eating animals, people are usually tolerant of that type of "reason." but if i just choose not to eat pineapple (or fish, or chicken or eggs...) then suddenly i feel that opens me to everyone giving me their opinions or chastising me for my choices. even family or friends who know me well. i'm not sure why it matters? shouldn't we all be supportive of each other?
    Are you referring to a certain thread here where you have felt chastised, or are you referring to real life only?

Here, people get a lot of flack for categorizing foods as good or bad and not eating based on their perceptions, not for declining foods based on personal preference.

"Supportive of one another" means different things to different people. For example, if I tell you the dangers of some diet you want to do, I am being supportive by telling you the truth. Others would disAgree with this approach.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on doing your own research and finding what works for you, rather than worrying about what other people think. Honestly the majority of people out there don't really know what they're talking about when it comes to fitness and nutrition and are more just repeating what they've been told; in short, broscience is abundant in this area. Expecting everyone to agree with your choices or be supportive of any particular diet plan is just not realistic. And also realize that a lot of the people who may agree with you are potentially doing it for the wrong reasons (broscience strikes again). Just do your own thing and stop worrying about the opinions of others.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to a certain thread here where you have felt chastised, or are you referring to real life only?

Here, people get a lot of flack for categorizing foods as good or bad and not eating based on their perceptions, not for declining foods based on personal preference.

"Supportive of one another" means different things to different people. For example, if I tell you the dangers of some diet you want to do, I am being supportive by telling you the truth. Others would disAgree with this approach.

no, in real life. family/friends have said things and i just found it interesting. even if do see a meme on pineapples causing cancer and i want to stay away from them, isn't that my business, even if isn't valid??
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Now that you say it there is an oddity. In real life people criticize what you choose to eat (ie whole eggs) whereas MFP will be critical if you decide to be an Egg Beaters person.

Do what you want regardless of whet people in real life or MFP think.
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    no, in real life. family/friends have said things and i just found it interesting. even if do see a meme on pineapples causing cancer and i want to stay away from them, isn't that my business, even if isn't valid??

It's your business, but why would you want it to be when it's invalid?

When people make baseless decisions, it shouldn't surprise them when other don't support them.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

At least the people that I deal with are well-meaning. They just push what worked for them or what they think. I say thanks and ignore what I don't need at the time (I keep it because i may need to come back to it) and vent elsewhere about how annoying it is. My mother-in-law will try to convince me that I can eat things that are higher calorie than I would like. I think she wants me to be happy and have what she thinks I really want.

So, maybe they think you really do want that pineapple?

It is hard. It tests your willpower.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine really, really, really hates green peppers, so he started telling people he's allergic to them. He said it was the best way to make sure no one slipped any green peppers into his food!

No one ever seemed to think it was odd that he was allergic to green peppers, but had no problem with jalapenos....
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I tend to ignore people that do this kinda thing but this is mostly because I have a valid reason for the foods I avoid even if its just that I don't like them ie plain oatmeal yuck. Though for the oddest one I pull the allergy card, its technically not but the reaction is the same so yeah.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't like a lot of seafood. Since I live in New England, I occasionally get a bit of grief about that! :smile:

But I think it depends on the reasons you give for not eating something.

If it's because "I heard that eating pineapples make your toenails turn purple and fall off," or some other Internet meme, then I can understand why people might respond, "That's totally ridiculous. Someone made that up to mess with people." It's like saying that you don't vaccinate your kids because it causes autism. Sure, a lot of people believe it, but they have no good reason to do so. <puts on flak jacket and settles into foxhole>

If it's because you don't like pineapple, own your choice. "I just don't like pineapple." I don't like scallops. I tell people I don't like them, unless I've been invited to dinner and they're served, in which case I will eat them to be polite.

Where it gets tricky is when people rule out whole categories of food. "I don't like vegetables" is like saying "I don't like TV." There may be vegetables you don't like, just like there may be TV shows you don't like. But vegetables, and TV, have so much variety that when someone says they don't like them, it makes me suspicious. It sounds like a cop-out.

It's also worth keeping in mind that kids and adults have to taste something new 20-40 times before they like it. I used to really dislike pineapple, but now I will eat it cheerily and like it if it is served to me, though I won't necessarily seek it out of my own accord. Think about the first time you had beer or whisky (if you drink); odds are you didn't like it. Or blue cheese.

So if there are particular foods you just don't like, say that. But if you find yourself ruling out entire categories of food, just because you don't like them, maybe your "dislike" is a prejudice, or based on lack of experience.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The only way people know what you don't eat and why is because you tell them. Once you open up that conversation, then others have the right to respond with their truth.

If someone tells me that pineapples cause cancer and that's why they don't eat them, I'm going to probably get a chuckle out of it and ask them to show me the research.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You have the right to not eat whatever you don't want to eat, for whatever reasons you don't want to eat it.

Nobody should be rude about it.

Some people are just unhappy. Don't let it bring you down, :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

It's your business, but why would you want it to be when it's invalid?

When people make baseless decisions, it shouldn't surprise them when other don't support them.
    Oh it's you again! LOL this topic sure gets a bee in your bonnet huh? Just kidding :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's best on MFP to do what you do. Change it when you think it needs to be changed, and otherwise take what you can, but not worry about the rest from the "I'm not on a diet" folks. Eat the way you feel best. At a reasonable deficit, and move more. Don't worry about what others think you should eat.

cheers!
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    It's best on MFP to do what you do. Change it when you think it needs to be changed, and otherwise take what you can, but not worry about the rest from the "I'm not on a diet" folks. Eat the way you feel best. At a reasonable deficit, and move more. Don't worry about what others think you should eat.

cheers!
    The OP said this is about real life not MFP.

I would say to eat the way you want to but don't worry about the rest from any folks.

However, if you share about what you don't eat and why, then you open yourself up to other's opinions, whether they are "I'm not on a diet folk" or not. :wink:
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    If you think the CIA has put cancer in pineapples and that's why you deactivated your Facebook account, then that is 100% up to you and not at all affecting anyone else. That being said, when you tell me about it at Thanksgiving, and I have to listen to it to be polite, then it's affecting ME. And so I'm gonna have something to say about it, even if it's just calling you a moron under my breath or putting secret pineapples in everything I bring to the next family gathering.

On the other hand, if someone just happens to see your hand pass over the pineapples and go for the cheese plate instead, and casually asks, and you casually mention you're kind of iffy on pineapples right now, and they start riding around on the Judgement Train, then it's all on them.

So I guess it depends what kind of interaction it was that lead to you feeling judged or bullied based on your food choices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't care what people eat or don't. There are lots of foods I don't eat, for example because I dislike them or think they are not worth the calories. For example, I think peanut butter is weirdly overrated. (Ducking for cover.)

If I say "I don't eat peanut butter because I don't really like it much," I assume no one will try to talk me out of it. It's purely subjective. Similarly, if I say that I don't eat eggs because I think it's ethically wrong to use animal products, most people don't really want to get into what is a debate about ethics--it's like arguing about religion or some such.

BUT, if I say I don't eat peanut butter because peanuts are generally unhealthy for everyone or because they are essentially fat pills, way beyond their calories, or because they cause cancer or cause people to crave fat and be unable to control themselves or some similar factual assertion that is false, I would expect that someone might challenge me. If I said instead "it's not consistent with the way I like to eat" or "they cause me to have cravings," I'd see that as more personal and kind of weird for someone to challenge.

I think the debates here tend to happen when people make broader statements that are intended to apply more generally and not personal or subjective ones.

As for people offline, I don't know. In my world lots of people have weird dietary rules and mostly people don't say anything (whatever they might think).
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Sure, a lot of people believe it, but they have no good reason to do so. <puts on flak jacket and settles into foxhole>

LOL :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

If you come onto a discussion forum, touting it as truth, other people/lurkers may read it and believe it to be true. No one here wants to see people fail, so misinformation is corrected. Sure, it's your business, but if you post it here, it becomes everyone's business and open for discussion.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine really, really, really hates green peppers, so he started telling people he's allergic to them. He said it was the best way to make sure no one slipped any green peppers into his food!

No one ever seemed to think it was odd that he was allergic to green peppers, but had no problem with jalapenos....
    I'm kinda like this, too, though - I love jalapenos and I have no problem with them, but I can't stand green peppers. I used to get headaches if I ate them, but not any more - now, I simply don't like the taste. I'd rather just not have it.

I think preferences are fine - I love mushrooms, most people I know don't. That's fine. I choose to forgo most store-bought pastries or desserts because they have a strange mouth feel for me - this usually causes some friction, but I don't really care. I don't justify, I don't make up that I'm allergic and I don't tell anyone I'm on a "diet" (I'd avoid them even if I were gaining - I'd rather save my money and calories for something much more delicious).

I think people will only really pay attention to your preferences or dietary choices if you do. The first instance might catch them off guard, but if you start to freak out about it or give it any kind of special attention (e.g. "I'm allergic, *cough* *cough*), then they'll just jump on that.