HRM-may be a silly ?, but never used one before...

Options
I just bought a (generic wrist one for now) hrm....it says its accurate to an ecg....one problem....it seems to hurt my wrist...maybe it just needs broken in....should the back of the dial face my pulse on the bottom side of my wrist to get the best reading or is wearing it like a watch sufficient?

Replies

• forgiven4life
    Options
    What do the instructions say? I have one that has a chest strap, so I am not really familiar with the wrist HRM only.
  • LastFighter
    LastFighter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    probably would be one Id read the instructions on
  • froe2430
    Options
    I found that my wrist HRM hurt when I had it on like most people wear a watch, but moving it so the back is on the underside (pulse) of my wrist didn't hurt and was easier to get my HR. :)

Good luck - I love mine!
  • sblowes
    sblowes Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I find the chest strap ones are better. The one you have doesn't need to monitor your pulse, as it's monitoring your heart through the electricity on your skin. That's why you have to touch it to get a reading. I swear by Polar's line of heart rate monitors, but they're not cheap. BUT... if this is a lifestyle change you're wanting to make, it's worth saving up and investing in the tools that will help you with your resolve.
  • MichelleFirestone
    MichelleFirestone Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Mine feels just like a watch. never bothers me
  • sonya2333
    sonya2333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wanna buy one but have no clue which one to get. I'm not willing to spend over a hundred on it. Any suggestions?
  • mom2alexandmatt
    Options
    I wanna buy one but have no clue which one to get. I'm not willing to spend over a hundred on it. Any suggestions?

I just got my new Polar FT7 in the mail yesterday. I love it so far. I got it for a pretty good price on Amazon (it was under $100). And I really like the idea of the accurate reading because I did a workout on Sunday that gave me credit for 621 calories, whereas the HRM said it was only 362 or something like that. It lets you put in your age, weight, and then you can calculate your maximum heart rate and the heart rate you wanna shoot for (I have mine set at 85%). it also tells you minutes spent in fat burning mode and minutes spent in fitness mode. And you can save that info on the watch. I've only used it twice, but so far so good.
    Good luck!