Thinking about breaking out of my iChains...

Options
I currently have the iPhone 4s and while I do love it, I've always been envious of the Galaxy Note. I am due for an upgrade since my contract is up. Like a good little iSheep, I love my phone and I am excited about the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus, but in doing research, I am kind of blown away by the Galaxy Note 3.

The camera features look awesome, and I am a picture snapping fool, so having a good camera is important to me. The battery life seems way better than the iPhone.

My only major concern is the ease of switching from a IOS system to Android. Has anyone done this? Is it easy to switch, or is there a long learning curve?

The other concern was losing all my music, but I suspect, I can get the iTunes app from Android and access my music from the app. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Any insight would be appreciated. I have two months left, so just trying to do some research before getting stuck with a phone I might regret. Thanks! :)

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I remember when I would walk into the store and grab the free phone. Now, it's like trying to name your first born.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about switching to Android as well, but I just don't want to lose my apps. :sad: Good luck on making your decision!!!
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've been happy with android, but my experience with apple is limited. Apple phones are similarly priced to the competition, but the cost of everything else in their "ecosystem" is stupidly high.

d166fcf84e1e943aea980f9abdffa70e.png
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I switched from an iPhone to the Galaxy S5...best decision ever.
  • tquill
    Options

I have noticed that most anyone I know that has switched, has been happy... although there have been a few exceptions.
  • Vortex_ConQueso
    Options
    I currently have the iPhone 4s and while I do love it, I've always been envious of the Galaxy Note. I am due for an upgrade since my contract is up. Like a good little iSheep, I love my phone and I am excited about the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus, but in doing research, I am kind of blown away by the Galaxy Note 3.

The camera features look awesome, and I am a picture snapping fool, so having a good camera is important to me. The battery life seems way better than the iPhone.

My only major concern is the ease of switching from a IOS system to Android. Has anyone done this? Is it easy to switch, or is there a long learning curve?

The other concern was losing all my music, but I suspect, I can get the iTunes app from Android and access my music from the app. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Any insight would be appreciated. I have two months left, so just trying to do some research before getting stuck with a phone I might regret. Thanks! :)

iWhatever = Trendy
    Android = Useful

You will be happy with any of Samsung's current offerings. The Galaxy Note 3 is large, perhaps too large to be practical as a phone, but check one out and see if you like it. If you do, great! If not, there's always the Galaxy S5, which is IMHO, the best phone currently available.

You absolutely can get your iTunes music loaded into an Android system. It's how I load mine for the gym.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Options
    I've been happy with android, but my experience with apple is limited. Apple phones are similarly priced to the competition, but the cost of everything else in their "ecosystem" is stupidly high.

d166fcf84e1e943aea980f9abdffa70e.png
    This is kind of why I want to leave. I hate how none of their products will work with anyone else's products and you are stuck buying their stuff. They are leaving a bad taste in my mouth at this point and I am sort of over it, but I know I can get really frustrated when trying to learn how to use a new phone, so if its not a huge learning curve, I am down with switching over.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    The learning is fun with the Galaxy S5.

I'm sure I have no clue how to do at least 30% of what the phone is capable of (still haven't figured out that 3D photo taking capability), but the phone is awesome nonetheless. My main reason for the iPhone was that I got caught up in the hype and fad of it and, at the time, I loved the pictures it took. This phone takes just as good, if not better photos with some pretty cool photo options. I once took a series of photos of me rock climbing and -- without me doing anything -- it composed a GIF of those images by itself. It was pretty cool.
  • tquill
    Options
    This is kind of why I want to leave. I hate how none of their products will work with anyone else's products and you are stuck buying their stuff. They are leaving a bad taste in my mouth at this point and I am sort of over it, but I know I can get really frustrated when trying to learn how to use a new phone, so if its not a huge learning curve, I am down with switching over.

The difficulty of switching will probably depend on how much crap of theirs you currently have... but no matter what, I don't think it will be that bad. Most things works fine independently anyway. I'd say it's worth a try... it's probably not too difficult to switch back (sell your phone and buy another iphone).
  • tquill
    Options
    nmzcvaC.jpg
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone 5c (used to have a 5 but lost it and got a 5c through insurance). After listening to all the Apple disciples for years about how amazing and better life is with an Apple product I finally drank the Kool-Aid and bought an iPhone (as well as an iPad). I am now sick of the whole Apple thing. They are great at locking you into their little world. And whenever something goes wrong (wait I thought nothing ever goes wrong with an Apple product!?) they usually deny it's their fault and blame the customer for not operating it right. I had that stupid iMessages glitch where text messages would be sucked into a black hole somewhere. Also, trying to sync music and photos was a pain (although it did get better in the last year or so). Most of there standard apps suck too.

My contract is up in November. I already decided I am getting an HTC One with Android. Most of the apps I use are Google anyway. Their mail app is better. Their map app is WAY better. So it just make sense for me to be a Googler.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Options
    So thank you everyone for your advice! I went to do some homework and the Galaxy s5 did some sort of mojo on my iTired brain and I got the phone. It has a better camera the Note 3 and its smaller. I love how easy it is to use. No learning curve at all with this phone. It is bigger than I am used to using, but I will get the hang of it soon enough. :)
    This sucker has a heart rate monitor on it and a pedometer too! Plus a finger print scanner and its water resistant. I am super excited to have this phone. Will be putting the 4s iPhone up for sale on Craigslist.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I am getting the iPhone 6 in the next few weeks. Battery life has always been fine and the iPhone camera is always a better choice for photos and videos, which is key for me. It is taking a lot to pry my 4S out of my hand because it has been rock solid for years, but looking forward to the upgrade. Check out Amazon Trad-in if you want to see how much you can get for your 4S.
  • N2Couture
    N2Couture Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    All I know is Droid. Because of that I'm better off?I have read countless
    complaints and seen reviews that were less favorable just based
    on the interchangeable/compatibility issues with each version of
    the same product. I have 2 diff Nanos and hate that about them so
    for me Droid is where I will stay.

Incidentally my cousin and a friend left IPhone for Samsung model
    phones. I am more thrifty, mine is LG.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    At one point I switched to a Samsung Galaxy from an iPhone 4, I think the Samsung Galaxy is a far superior machine. As long as your music is on your computer, you can just drag and drop it all onto your Samsung phone (same with other files, videos, PDFs etc...)

The reason I switched back to the iPhone is that I couldn't handle the battery life. My phone needs to last for 8+ hours without dying, and the Galaxy would only last 4-5 MAX if I wasn't using it much. So, while I prefer Galaxy, I will be using my iPhone 5 for a while simply because of the reliable battery life.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Following, I'm just out of contract with my iphone 5 and considering switching. I had one of the defective batteries in my 5 that apple have only just decided to admit and replace a full 2 YEARS LATER. 2 years of missing stuff because my battery wouldn't last more than half a day. Oh and I've been into the store that is supposed to do the replacement 4 times now and can't get the battery replaced unless I'm prepared to leave my phone there in store for 4-7 days. Right - thanks for nothing apple.

Okay rant over - felt good to get that off my chest
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I switched from iPhone to a Galaxy S3 a couple years ago. There were so many glitches in that phone it wasn't even funny. The bad thing about Samsung is that they release new ones so fast they've never worked out the issues in the firmware of the last one before the next one is being promoted.

My Galaxy S3 caught on fire at the charger port. When I went in to upgrade my favorite sales guy told me a couple weeks after I went in there with mine to find out what to do about the insurance, another person came in with the same issue.

Went back to iPhone that day...didn't like any of the other Android ones that were out at that point. I'm not loyal to either OS really, but I did miss some of the iPhone apps that I couldn't get on my Droid. I definitely will NOT get another Samsung which makes me sad - back before the whole smartphone thing, their phones were fantastic.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tried to like Android OS. I really did.
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i have both a galaxy s5 and an iPhone 5s ..i use them both for different things but i still prefer the iPhone to the galaxy..i really can't get on with how the galaxy is set up..it takes me forever to find settings that i can go straight to on my iPhone.
    Bluetooth on galaxy won't even connect to my bluetooth headphones,luckily my iPhone does..i end up taking out 2 phones when i go cycling/jogging etc for 2 different reasons.. i will head for the iPhone 6 when the second version comes out in a yrs time probably but i won't go with samsung again in a hurry.. i barely use the galaxy except for the music.. which is much easier than iTunes..hate iTunes
    The cameras on both are different but much of the same quality if you ask me.. i have a CAMERA that i take photos with..i don't really need one on my phone.
    The power socket on the galaxy is a real ***** to get in in the dark whereas the iPhone is simple and only one socket to play around with.
    i hate that the galaxy flashes n farts n beeps every time you get a message or notification and I'm sick of turning them off only to be turned again the next time is use it..so frustrating.Its getting as bad as all the windows updates on pcs .. i changed to apple macs etc a while ago and id never go back to a windows machine again..too much hassle..
    I'm sure that samsung are good enough for some people but thanks..ill stay with the herd a while longer.
  • brewinggirl_butskinnier
    Options

I have noticed that most anyone I know that has switched, has been happy... although there have been a few exceptions.

My brother switched (and he has like 4 phones and works for a major cell company) and he loves his S5. I love my S5 but I've always been an android girl.