Strength Training at Home Without Equipment?

Options
Hello! I'm good on cardio stuff, that's easy to do without having exercise equipment or a gym membership. We are on a strict budget as a one-income family of 5 and a gym membership is out of the question (hoping the parents will gift one at Christmastime!) for the moment.

I am not going to let not having access to a gym or not having money for weights be an excuse for not working out. I don't know a lot about weight/strength training or anything, but I know that it's something I'd like to learn more about it and I'm looking for any suggestions or information on ways to do this at home without having to purchase weights. Is this possible? Thanks!

Replies

• intangiblemango
    intangiblemango Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight stuff is what you are looking for! I use this beginner routine: https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-beginner-routine
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Check out convict conditioning.
  • gamommy
    gamommy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight stuff is what you are looking for! I use this beginner routine: https://fitloop.co/routines/bwf-beginner-routine

Awesome! Thank you so much!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,987 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Squats, lunges., pushups, plank are all good choices

Take a look at this link for more ideas

http://greatist.com/fitness/50-bodyweight-exercises-you-can-do-anywhere
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat...my kids are both at school 3 days a week, so those are the days I run. When my little one is home the other 2 days I need to do workouts while watching her. There are a ton of videos on youtube, I personally like the fitness blender workouts (an adorable husband and wife combo.) They have some that use only body weight. They also have some using weights- I alternate upper and lower body strength using dumbbells between 8 -20 lbs, (so total 16-40 lbs). I know you said you didn't want to buy weights but new dumbbells aren't that much at target or on Amazon, plus you can often find them at garage sales.
  • RebekahAwesome1
    Options
    Resistance bands... cheaper ones are sold at most dollar stores. Resistance bands work great for for at home affordable strength training. I guess I am lucky in the fact that I live in a city that actually has a park where the playground equipment is actually work out equipment. Looks like a regular jungle gym and climbers of sorts from a distance, but on closer inspection, I realized it was work-out equipment that uses my own body weight as the weights. (Maybe there's a similar park around where you live, and you could google to find out...) otherwise, resistance bands is my only suggestion, sorry if that's not helpful. :)

http://greatist.com/fitness/resistance-band-exercises
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Start with body weight exercises - push ups, planks, squats. You can get a good start. In the meantime look into resistance band exercises. Bands gcan be used awhile. You chock up on them to increase resistance.

Look to Youtube or your local library for workouts.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands... cheaper ones are sold at most dollar stores. Resistance bands work great for for at home affordable strength training. I guess I am lucky in the fact that I live in a city that actually has a park where the playground equipment is actually work out equipment. Looks like a regular jungle gym and climbers of sorts from a distance, but on closer inspection, I realized it was work-out equipment that uses my own body weight as the weights. (Maybe there's a similar park around where you live, and you could google to find out...) otherwise, resistance bands is my only suggestion, sorry if that's not helpful. :)

http://greatist.com/fitness/resistance-band-exercises

wow- that park sounds great! I'm going to see if there is one near me!
  • lisa5368
    Options
    check out fitness blender on you tube. They have tons of videos for just about everything. I use them regularly.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Little hand weights are cheap. Bottles of bleach or gallons of water will work.

If you have a pool, empty pop or milk bottles are cheap (and IMO, better than aqua barbells.)

Squats, lunges, push-ups, sit ups, crunches, six inches, planking...any old thing. Lots of stuff on google.

You can get fit without paying for a gym, for sure!! :)
  • StevenH74
    Options
    www.hundredpushups.com offers some good programmes for the above mentioned exercises, not just push ups.
  • raindog308
    raindog308 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    An excellent book on this subject is "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. It's 100% body weight exercises and has quite a broad variety, as well as some sample workouts and recommendations on how to progress.

You could get it from your library, local bookseller, or Amazon.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    An excellent book on this subject is "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren. It's 100% body weight exercises and has quite a broad variety, as well as some sample workouts and recommendations on how to progress.

You could get it from your library, local bookseller, or Amazon.

There is also another one by him, Body By You by Mark Lauren with Joshua Clark, that is aimed at women. I just got that one myself to try out, still reading through it.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    oh yes do Planks most definitely and squats, you won't be sorry, they are most fantastic forms of weight training. Also if you have cans of soup you could use those for hand weights.