What on earth does 'Bump' mean?

Options
I am relatively new on MFP, and I am in love with this site.

But......I keep seeing 'Bump' and I do not know what that means!!

I am not hip to the lingo, so can someone help a girl out here? :wink:

Replies

• SassyMissDasha
    Options
    When someone replies "bump" to a post, that means they are bumping it up to the top of the threads so people can see it, or they want to reference it for later. A lot of people post on here, and threads tend to get lost .. so people post on the thread to make it go back to the top.
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    Thank you so much for asking the question. I have also been wondering, but never thought to ask. I feel so much better now!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    and how does one "bump" it to the top?
  • jteammom
    Options
    As I understand it - bumping it is basically a way add it to your "My Topics" so you can go back to it later, and also puts it back in the "Recent Posts" line-up. But then again I could very well be wrong. For the longest time I thought it was kind of a virtual "fist bump" signifying agreement. Shows you how uncool I am!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Thank god one everyone says 'bump' rather than TTT on this website otherwise you'd all be crazy lost! LOL (aka laughing out loud)

*TTT means 'to the top' b/c when you write on a thread it puts it back at the top of the list.
  • nordens
    nordens Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump! ;o)
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • jteammom
    Options
    Thank god one everyone says 'bump' rather than TTT on this website otherwise you'd all be crazy lost! LOL (aka laughing out loud)

Reminds me of when I moved to a town that has TT races (which apparently have something to do with dirt bikes.) I thought they were saying "PP races" - which is what I compete in when I am drinking the recommended amount of water every day. :wink:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Bump ;o)
  • Dippydog
    Dippydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Thank you soooo much.

I thought it was a 'virtual' fist bumpt, too.

I love MFP!!
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Was totally clueless on this too.. Noooooooooow it makes sense. Thank you!
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I was totally clueless as well. Thanks for asking the question.
    My first thoughts when I read bump was it's a bump in the road, aka, a minor setback in eating or exercise plans.
    My other thought was a pregnancy pump being the newly formed baby belly - realized it wasn't that when men were "bumping."

So good to see I wasn't alone in not being into the lingo.
  • globe_trekker
    globe_trekker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Isn't clicking on the "My Topics" already a way to bookmark the ones that one has posted on? I think a much better way, and then when you are checking to see what new posts are written to a topic that you previously wrote on, to see "bump" is just disappointing. I'm just being honest.