Just starting out and losing slowly

Options
Hi guys,

I've been trying on and off again to lose weight for ages, through this site mostly because I find it very handy. I've been back on the wagon for about a week and a half now and I'm feeling great.

I even managed to get through two days of super intense stress which I thought would break me!

I almost feel silly but the last few days where I have been struggling, I just look in the mirror and wonder why I'm not losing weight faster. I know it's a mental thing and my goals are long term, but I just feel silly thinking that it will be an easy fix. It's only been a week, and I don't want to lose motivation yet! Today I tried meditating to relieve the stress a bit, and I have to say that it worked well.

Anyway, my pointless vent is over, it's just nice knowing that I have somewhere to post it!

Replies

• IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Three Months. Where will you be?

No. Don't think about it, envision it. Are you going to have the same mindset you have right now, trying to lose weight? What you have right now is external motivation. Like it or not, It's going to die. It might be when you wake up tomorrow or in the next several days You need to build Internal motivation, find the root to your actions right now. Then you won't have to worry about how long it'll take. You'll be driven by yourself and not external looks.
  • floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When i started out last year the first month i didnt lose anything. Then i started losing about 7 pounds per month (ive since regained some because i stopped exercising and eating well). Point is, sometimes our bodies need time to adjust~building muscle, retaining water, etc. Keep going on a healthy path and you will start to see the results!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you've lost 2KG? If that isn't counting your previous time on here, that's great! .5-2 pounds a week is standard.
  • chainess2014
    chainess2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am starting too and I agree with you Pumpkin...stress can really affect one's goal in weight loss I am in a lot of stress now...and I tend to crave and eat till I make myself happy.

Now I joined MFP trying my best to do my Food Diary faithfully even to the last piece of chocolate I nibble.
    Good Luck to all of us!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    You are doing the right thing... You have started again! I don't know how much weight you have to lose.... But you might want to start looking for other motivators besides what you see in the mirror. I'm still waiting for the day when I can look in the mirror and really see a difference (ticker is accurate). Think more about the life you want to lead and eat and exercise according to your goals. Progress will be slow... Especially if you are waiting to be able to see it in the mirror. Come up with a some internal motivators. And look for NSV's. Slow progress is still progress and it's great! Slow and steady wins the race they say!
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What I've realized is, the image I see in the mirror is never going to correspond to what I see in my head. It didn't when I was heavier, it doesn't now. My mind just has a different idea of how I'm built :-)
    What I do focus on is sticking to my schedule (so, log every day, go to every gym practice I have scheduled) and observing progress as it happens (I can do a regular pushup, or more. I can go through the entire hour and not wish to die once, and so on). Those are the things that will hold you longer than your image in the mirror.

And consider this. Let's say that you achieve the perfect image. You look better than a swimsuit model on the cover of a magazine. Are you going to just stand around and just look pretty the entire day? I'm guessing not. So it's better if you spend this time achieving something that will be useful in your everyday activities.