What do you do with your spaghetti squash?

Options
abbeyjones1994
abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
I tried spaghetti squash for the first time this week. All I did to it was add chicken breast, spinach, pesto, and red pepper flakes. Which, don't get me wrong, was delicious (and I'm so glad I have a yummy low cal option for pasta now!) but I know MFPers have some some delicious spaghetti squash recipes they would love to share! :)

Replies

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I roasted mine jusr yesterday and scooped it into a grass fed beef, onion, mushroom and crushed tomato sauce. And then melted some cheese into it. It was yum. I have asecond sqiash in the fridge that im going to play with creating a new recipe... bought chicken gizzards and will think of something saucey and garlicy to blend together.
  • KatieMcCakes
    KatieMcCakes Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yours sounds great! I'm going to have to try the chicken and hot pepper combo.
    Not too creative, but here's what I do: split, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw that sucker in the oven at 375 for 45 minutes, shred with a fork, and top with one of two things:
    1. sauteed garlic, lemon juice, and a big handful of chopped fresh parsley
    2. Favorite old spaghetti sauce- mine's a marinara with peppers, onions, and either ground beef or Italian sausage.
    If you don't have any problems with dairy, throw a little parmesan on top and serve it up.
    Enjoy. ;)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed coating it with newman's own light sesame ginger dressing and a generous helping of red pepper flakes. Tasty warm or cold. :)
  • christi713
    christi713 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain most of the time. Other times I sprinkle on some Mrs. Dash Table Blend.
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used a cup of spaghetti sauce mixed with 1/2 cup philly cream cheese cooking creme (savory herb i think), baked some turkey sausage and then made 4 meals for myself out of it.. (works out to about 450 cal meal) SO GOOD! and super quick! I'm single so cooking for me is a chore :)
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Sautee some mushrooms, garlic, and thyme, mix with the squash, then top with fresh grated Parmesan :love:
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I mix with pesto, black olives, and red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and a little lemon juice.. Eat cold
  • RebekahAwesome1
    Options
    I bake mine, then I make a homemade Avocado Tahini sauce to go with it.

Avocado Tahini sauce
    1 medium avocado
    1/4 c. tahini
    2 tbls coconut oil
    1-2 tbls lemon juice
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1-2 tbls vinegar (optional)
    1-2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
    2 cloves garlic
    parsley to taste

1/4-1/2 cup water as needed to achieve a medium to thick consistency.

I put it all but the water together in my magic bullet (can use food processor or blender)
    blend until smooth and then add water to thin it out a bit.
    I always have some sauce leftover and just refrigerate it for up to three days, using the leftover sauce on spinach and kale salads (can be used on any kind of green salad)
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I usually just add a little oil/butter and whatever fresh herbs I have on hand.

Oh, and a sprinkle of parmesan.

Edited to add cheese. :smile:
  • bridiemac211
    bridiemac211 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I usually always have mine with alfredo or red sauce, but I just made this and it was hands down, the best. Try it out:

http://inspiredreamer.com/baked-spaghetti-squash-with-garlic-and-butter/
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I never see them for sale here :( I love them. Maybe I'll have to grow some.
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Bump.

I sauté it & then add salmon or chicken on top. Need better ideas..
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have eaten my share with pasta sauce. I have also made BBQ spaghetti and Cincinnati chili. My last experiment was substituting spaghetti squash in a Thai noodle dish.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/cincinnati-chili-with-spaghetti-squash.html

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/09/bbq-spaghetti-squash-with-pulled-chicken.html

Try Pinterest too. Tons of ideas there.
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options
    Yay! I'm so excited to try all of these! Thank you everyone! :)
  • McGristy
    McGristy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    OOOOH Light soy sauce mixed with a squirt of Sriracha and some fresh grated ginger and lemon juice, mix in some scrambled egg whites + garlic + scallions and top with a few crushed unsalted peanuts and cilantro = BOOM. Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai. GAH SO GOOD!!
  • pbandbananas1996
    pbandbananas1996 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Check out Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash from skinnytaste.com. I've made it and it's SO good. When I'm feeling lazy, though, I'll just add salt, garlic powder, and some tomato basil sauce to my spaghetti squash.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Bake it to heck and then mix it with olive oil, basil, parmesan and cracked pepper.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Make tortoise-sized spaghetti, of course.

10678531_913995944364_919134396692951201_n_zpsa5461d79.jpg
  • stripeddone1
    Options
    I bake it with a little olive oil and garlic until it's soft, then I scoop it out of the shell and add mushrooms, onions and meat (I prefer spicy, so I cut up a jalapeno sausage dog) and spaghetti sauce, and top it with cheese and bake it again until the cheese is melted/ browned. It always turns out delicious, and my kids love it.
  • abbeyjones1994
    Options
    Make tortoise-sized spaghetti, of course.

10678531_913995944364_919134396692951201_n_zpsa5461d79.jpg

:love: