HELP - quit smoking & MAJOR food cravings

Options
Hi all

I stopped smoking 4 days ago and am really pleased I've decided to do it. For the last six months I was down to smoking about 5-7 cigarettes a day, often only smoking half the cigarette. I didn't enjoy it, but was really curbing a craving and feeding the nicotine addiction. So, quitting is definitely overdue.

I'm using patches and will taper off them fairly quickly. Rather than feeling cigarette cravings I'm experiencing terrible food cravings that are completely overwhelming. The night before last I couldn't get to sleep and got up and ate anything I could find in the fridge, particularly carbohydrates. Yesterday I went to a party and took my own healthy food with me. Rather than eat that, I ate everything that was in front of me. Brownies, homemade pizza, etc etc.

I recently lost 12kg and am really committed to getting to my goal weight. I would really hate for all of my hard work to be undone.

Unfortunately I'm not able to go on anything like Champix for medical reasons, but thought there might be something else I can do.
Apart from yesterday, I haven't been eating sugar and am sticking to low GI carbs as much as possible.

Do you have any suggestions for what might help me? I'm feeling rather desperate, but I'm sure that's the withdrawals :-)

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I quit 8 weeks ago after 30 years. Decided to bag the patches, cuz it's just replacing and I wanted it done, so cold turkey. Buy chewing gum and stir sticks if you have to. Just DO it! You've got this! Incidentally, haven't gained yet.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I have been smoke free for well over 20 years. You can do it. Keep low cal munchies available to grab when a craving hits.
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you for quitting smoking. I have never smoked but understand that it is one of the hardest things to do ... good for you for making such a tough change. You should all be very proud of yourselves.
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    The Easy Way to stop smoking by Allen Carr. You are not depriving yourself, you are making a choice.
  • fwhittaker
    fwhittaker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your words of encouragement. I am certainly committed, and now think of myself as a non-smoker. Yes Alan Carr's book has been read and is very helpful :-)

The suggestion of low cal snacks is great thank you... I'd just prefer I could make the food cravings lessen even just a little bit!
  • fwhittaker
    Options
    Ok so I put on 3kgs.

I've been using exercise as a distraction, trying to eat as healthy as possible, and I truly believe I can do it - I don't need those horrible things anymore! BUT the hunger has been OVERWHELMING! I didn't crave for cigarettes, just food. I started smoking again yesterday and the hunger is gone. *hangs head in shame*

What do I do?????
  • freightguy
    freightguy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Feel you. I'm a smoker. Was a 2 pack a day smoker. I have been on a losing weight kick and quit smoking kick. I tried cold turkey and the patch in the past. Didn't work.

However this time I bought nicotine gum and I downloaded an app for my phone to keep track of my smoking. Anyways. Due to me not smoking lime a chimney. I get hungry more often. It's a natural part of quitting this stupid habit.

What I have done. Is carry nicotine gum. Apples. Grapes. Carrots. I still smoke half a pack a day. But during time when I get the craving for what I think is a nicotine craving I throw the gum in my mouth. When I get the hunger I eat my grapes apple or carrots. Water also helps. I hate plain water. So I bought the Mio black cherry flavor enhancers from the grocery store.

Try the gum. It chews like shoe leather at times but they now have flavored gum. When I get real hungry I look for protein bar. Love em but they give me gas. That may help you with the hunger. Also exercise. My wife and I joined a gym. Do some cardiovascular on an elliptical or treadmill. This will help.the craving. We lost 20 pounds so far as well. Good luck on your venture. Hopefully this will give you something of an idea to try to help.
  • BigNickCT79
    Options
    Have you looked into an ecigarette? You can get zero nicotine to a lot. You can even get different flavors like cinnamon roll.
  • freightguy
    freightguy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried the ecigs. They made me cough more. I know people that swear by them though. Good option.
  • julzwild
    julzwild Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! Don't give up. I quit smoking March 30th and I know what you mean about the hunger. It's more than just an oral fixation thing. It's true, ravenous hunger. I personally wasn't prepared for it and had no idea what was happening to me. I was afraid it would never go away. It does go away! Give it 6 weeks.

I used e cigs (and still do). The way the nicotine affects your system is very different than a real cigarette, so I didn't get a lot of hunger relief from them, but they still got me off cigs so it worked for me. As for the hunger, pre planned snacks that re healthy are a must. Also, fiber drink supplements were also a big help. You'll be needing those for reasons other than hunger anyway. Severe constipation was another unpleasant side effect that I suffered with needlessly until I discovered Metamucil.

Arm yourself with the right tools (snacks, e cig i(f you decide to go that route) and you will suceed! Doing cardio as a non smoker makes a BIG difference! You can do it!
  • fwhittaker
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I will give it another go and try all of those things. I must say it's scary because I really really don't want to put on weight but I suppose the health benefits of quitting far outweigh that of losing a bit of weight.

Strangely I lost the 3kgs again since I started smoking the other day! @julzwild Maybe it's because of what you mentioned... ew! I'll add Metamucil to my list.

Cheers!
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey a month and a half ago. Chewing gum worked wonders...has to have sugar...(the sugarless made the cravings worse). I like the Bubblelicious because it makes your mind think that you are actually eating something.
  • Jeep_This
    Jeep_This Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying. I have seriously been trying for almost a year. I quit for weeks, a couple months, a couple days. I don't smoke at work (that's 9 hours), I don't smoke in front of family anymore (although they know I smoke), but I just keep at it, and I keep trying. I hate/love smoking. I want to quit and I want to smoke, but now, it is always in the back of my mind how awesome it will be to quit. I try quitting all the time! I just keep at it.

And BTW, I keep telling myself I hate how much time this whole quitting smoking is occupying my time and more importantly my thoughts! I need to read that book again....

Good Luck, and keep on trying!!!!