low blood sugar, help?

Options
I have had low blood sugar since my preteens, but learned to regulate it with diet a few years later. I try to start every morning with a glass of apple or orange juice as well as some whole grain bread or cereal, having found that when I don't do this I will experience several drops in my sugar throughout the day, sometimes even passing out. I also learned to grab something sweet when I feel my sugar levels are too low, knowing that fruit or yogurt is a better idea than cookies or candy or icecream.
However, since I have started exercising, (walking or lightly jogging on a treadmill 3-4 times a week and doing situps, nothing too strenuous) I have been having a harder time regulating my bloodsugar and find myself craving more and more sweet snacks or having more quick drops of bloodsugar.
I have no idea why increased exercise would make my sugar levels irregular or what I can do to counteract this. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Exercise will make your blood sugar spike quickly, then drop rapidly. I'm not sure the exact science behind it, but I think it is because exercise burns through the sugar/carbs you were already using to keep your blood sugar stable more quickly--therefore, they need to be replaced. I've found that cheese or peanut butter crackers before exercise (or, you know, whatever works for you) helps to alleviate this problem.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I've always had trouble with my bloodsugar, especially when I'm exercising. I know it helps me when I drink a lot of water. When my sugar is low, Milk helps me a lot.
  • ammp
    ammp Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My first thought would be have you had your fasting insulin checked lately? Perhaps you've treaded into true diabetic land.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic, and I will tell you, exercise brings my sugar down a LOT. If it drops too low, bananas are a great way to bring it up fast...aside from the obvious candy and orange juice option!

You really have to be careful. I would not mess with this...I would see a doc for sure. If your levels fluxuate that much, I wonder if you are not hypo-glycemic or even diabetic??

Be safe and take care of yourself :)
  • EmilyV80
    EmilyV80 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic so a little different but usually protein helps stabilize blood sugar. They make different types of snack bars for this but anything high in protein should help: peanut butter, yogurt, milk. Good luck. It is not a fun feeling and so frustrating when you are trying to watch what you eat and end up having to eat more to bring your blood sugar up.
  • fitmom4ever
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support!:smile:
  • findingmyself
    Options
    I drink coffee and I know that this will cause a drop in blood sugar. So I heard recently to sprinkle cinnamon in it and that will help regulate sugar levels. I havent tried it enough to know for sure wether or not it works, but it is worth sprinkling on your toast in the am!