Does anyone use the Slim Fast Protein Shakes?

Options
I was considering trying the Slim Fast Protein Shakes, and was looking for anyone who could tell me what they think about them. Thanks!

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Honestly I find them revolting.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was considering trying the Slim Fast Protein Shakes, and was looking for anyone who could tell me what they think about them. Thanks!

I will admit that I have used Slim Fast shakes twice in the past year, when I started out until I could figure out what to eat for a healthy breakfast (I changed to steel cut oats with sliced apple), and the second time because I was eating a lot of sweets at work and the chocolate Slim Fast gave me a chocolate fix combined with a meal.

Slim Fast is mostly sugar and artificial ingredients (it even has aspartame plus sugar, which is weird). They are probably the worst shake you can buy as far as nutrition goes. The protein is not that high and depends on what you mix them with.

You can buy a better protein shake and can even order them from Amazon.
  • micheler35
    Options
    I compared the carnation instant breakfast to the slim fast one time. They are the same! (with only slight difference in nutrition). If you can live on one measly can, go for it. I like to make my own smoothie for breakfast. Put all your favorite ingredients in a blender the night before (add a small handful of greens) and pull out of fridge and blend in the morning. Takes 2 minutes. Cheaper than the slim fast with tons of sugar and artificial ingredients. Hope this helps.
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    Slim Fast has a new protein version is why I was asking. I have used regular slim fast I just wondered about the high protein version. Thanks for the imput.
  • summerrose36
    summerrose36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only use slim fast/special K/ carnation breakfast in between meals or if I had a huge lunch and I am going to be over my points/calories per day, I substitute it for a meal. Its ok if you are following your carb intake and want to include protein but it is all a personal preference. Some people may like it, some people are against it. I am going to make my own version of smoothies with soy milk and variety of fruits/vegetables it does get pricey buying the drink mixes
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    I bought a 4 pack I was really just wanting something quick that i could grab for breakfast for a change....dont want to use them everyday per se...
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    I drink it for breakfast..I cant drink the pre-made ones though..UGH..nasty nasty stuff.

I make my own with the powder and use 2% milk..it tastes great and keeps me going til lunch.
  • vaneidie
    vaneidie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking the high protein slim fast shakes for my breakfast Monday thru Friday on my way to work every week. I am NOT a breakfast eater! At least not at 5am... lol I have noticed that I don't snack as much when I drink a shake. But on days I miss a shake I am so hungry! And the break room vending machine taunts me! I don't know if it's actually helping me lose any weight or not but it helps satisfy my hunger.
  • FireStar0139
    FireStar0139 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My husband used to buy them because apparently their have the perfect consistency to make really good milk shakes. I would drink the chocolate ones alone sometimes, they were alright. but some of their flavors are really bad. I suppose it all depends on what you like. ;)
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I know that I didn't care for them in the eighties. I doubt they would be very appealing now. it would be cheaper to make your own. If it it protein you are after you could do a scoop of protein powder to some frozen blueberries, a banana and some ice cubes in the blender.