I guess the flat belly thing isn't happening then

Options
For me atleast. It seems that I'm naturally apple shaped and carry all my fat there. From the front, you look at me and I look like this > |

But turn me to the side and all you see is this > B

In other words, from the front I have no shape almost, barely any hips, but from the side you see it, THA BELLY!!!! :laugh:

I honestly think that for me to diet it away, I'd look sickly skinny in all other places before my belly is flat. Because over the rest of my body I just DO NOT have that much more fat anymore.

The best part is it gets smaller without changing shape. It looks just as fat as it was, but just a smaller version.
I've been doing resistance and weight training, and I've lowered my bodyfat from everywhere, EXCEPT the actual problem area.

So yeah. I guess the flat belly thing isn't happening for me then. But that's okay. I'm okay with that. At least I'm mostly healthy.

Maybe I should get me one of them corset thingies that squish your brains out. :tongue: (yeah no, I'd still like to live.)

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Also I should add I've been doing resistance and weights for 2 years now, with LOTS of improvement in other parts of my body except my belly. I do believe I have ab muscles, just under layers of whatever little fat I still have left. Seems every little bit of fat is all in that one place.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you still have 6kg to go, just keep at it.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.

My first bulk and cut cycle has helped. I'll be continuing bulking and cutting till I get me some abs - if it takes till I'm 50 (it easily could)

I know you said you do resistance but have you tried bulking? It's not for everyone but has definitely helped me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own "problem areas." When we lose body fat, it appears that nothing is happening there, but it really is.

My friend on Facebook described it as "lakes and puddles." When water evaporates on a hot day, you can see the puddle disappear faster than the lake because it started out smaller. But that doesn't mean that the lake didn't lose water, because it evaporated from there, too.

When we lose fat, it comes off all over the place. It's a shame that we can't pick and choose where it comes from, lol. Problem areas simply have more fat to start with, but as we keep losing fat we'll eventually notice the difference.

In other words, just keep at it. Keep eating at a deficit and doing your exercises. :flowerforyou:
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.

My first bulk and cut cycle has helped. I'll be continuing bulking and cutting till I get me some abs - if it takes till I'm 50 (it easily could)

I know you said you do resistance but have you tried bulking? It's not for everyone but has definitely helped me.

I have actually done some. That's why I said I know I should have some muscle under there. It shows on other leaner parts of my body except there.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat.

I have actually done some. That's why I said I know I should have some muscle under there. It shows on other leaner parts of my body except there.

You answered your own question. Just continue to get leaner via calorie deficit and moderate exercise and you will see those muscles eventually. You only see muscle definition when fat is lost, and fat is only lost through the deficit.
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I wear underbust corsets (not my belly that's my problem, it's more my hips/legs) and, if you get the right size and someone sensible to do it up, they're oddly comfy...

With the added benefit of squishing the bad bits and raising up the good bits (a cleavage to go spelunking in, usually) it helps improve your posture, especially sitting down. Impossible to slouch in a steel-boned underbust.

Diet and exercise is still the longterm solution, but in the meantime it's a handy tool :P
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    I wear underbust corsets (not my belly that's my problem, it's more my hips/legs) and, if you get the right size and someone sensible to do it up, they're oddly comfy...

With the added benefit of squishing the bad bits and raising up the good bits (a cleavage to go spelunking in, usually) it helps improve your posture, especially sitting down. Impossible to slouch in a steel-boned underbust.

Diet and exercise is still the longterm solution, but in the meantime it's a handy tool :P

:laugh: oh gosh no...corsets scare me...mainly because I've seen some x-rays...

Maybe I'll just stick with flattering clothes that shows off my best assets... (My legs at this stage, because I've lost my boobs while dieting) :grumble:

Edit - and because I've lost my boobs my belly looks even bigger...because now my boobs are smaller than the belly.... :indifferent:
  • FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    The corsets you need to avoid are waist-trainers (only to be worn after consultation with a doctor) - I have a princess cut which is narrow waist, wide hips, but that's the closest I'd ever get - not advised unless you're at least 1 size difference in waist/hips (I'm 2).

Most of them are fine, especially for short term wear.

I'm lucky, my boobs have stayed the same, just my chest measurement has shrunk!

Short skirts, high heels and padded bras? :P
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options

Short skirts, high heels and padded bras? :P

Oh yeah! And I'm one of the lucky girls that was born with calves. =P I look great with high heels! Now if only I can learn to walk with them without breaking my neck. :-/
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi if you look through my pictures you will see that the last 2kg have been the most dramatic tummy loss I would highly recommend 30 day shred if you haven't done it already it helps shape the body and ive definitely seen more definition I only have around 5lbs to lose now but im definitely happier after doing 30day shred and ive had 3 babies 2 big ones and my last 7lb 11oz daughter 18 months ago she was my smallest by over 1lb
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    OP, do you have any before pictures to compare your current size to? My body is like yours--front and back views are fine, side view no. I try to avoid side photos as much as possible but I have one as one of my before shots and every once in a great while I will take one now, just to compare the difference. If I look at just the current side shot, I cringe. But if I compare them, I feel (a bit) better.

I know it's going to take another good 10-15 pounds of fat loss before I'm happy with it (not looking for a flat stomach at all, just a less rounded one) despite already being happy with the rest of me. I, too, have the fear of ending up with super thin legs and arms before the tummy goes. Anyway, I thought I'd pipe up since I know where you're coming from. Posting photos to show the progress.

Side: sidenow_zps49f99e36.jpg

Front (also Sept 2014 but the Sept got cut off): frontnow_zps1092714a.png
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    OP, do you have any before pictures to compare your current size to? My body is like yours--front and back views are fine, side view no. I try to avoid side photos as much as possible but I have one as one of my before shots and every once in a great while I will take one now, just to compare the difference. If I look at just the current side shot, I cringe. But if I compare them, I feel (a bit) better.

I know it's going to take another good 10-15 pounds of fat loss before I'm happy with it (not looking for a flat stomach at all, just a less rounded one) despite already being happy with the rest of me. I, too, have the fear of ending up with super thin legs and arms before the tummy goes. Anyway, I thought I'd pipe up since I know where you're coming from. Posting photos to show the progress.

Side: sidenow_zps49f99e36.jpg

Front (also Sept 2014 but the Sept got cut off): frontnow_zps1092714a.png

We do have the same problem...I did take photos. it is smaller than before...but not "less rounded". You know what I will lose the last few kilos and then after that I will accept what I end up with.

I think shapewear will help a lot. I need to keep my focus here, which is health and not vanity. :)
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also remember its a virtual guarantee that it looks far worse to you than it does to anybody else...

I still look in the mirror and have a hard time seeing anything but a big gut and man boobs, despite the fact that i'm wearing 11" smaller waist jeans and M shirts instead of XL...

We just aren't fair to ourselves.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ^^^ That is very true. Last weekend at Target I was looking at jackets and went to pick up an XL. My husband asked me what I was doing, shook his head, and made me try on the M. I was sure it wouldn't fit (despite the fact that I know I wear M tops) but of course it did. It just hasn't sunk into my brain that I am smaller.
  • TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Haha aint that the truth. Happens to me as well. I think I'd wear a large when really I wear a small (mostly a medium, but some clothes fit better at a small). It makes shopping for clothes very confusing.