slipped up today for first time and now debating quitting.

Options
Ive been on this diet since june and i slipped up for first time today eating a cup of noodles and i didnt realize it had so many calories until i had already ate it. Now i feel real bad about messing up so badly and thinking about quitting. I do this everytime i go on a diet,i quit everytime i diet and slip up. But i am telling myself not to and to just get back on track now. Its just hard cuz im mad that i allowed myself to do that once again just like with every diet ive ever been on.

Replies

• LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    we all screw up darl,
    part of life
    we screw up,
    we learn,
    we get back up
    and away we go again.

Mistakes are how we learn.

You'll get there, so don't let it worry ya.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    we all screw up darl,
    part of life
    we screw up,
    we learn,
    we get back up
    and away we go again.

Mistakes are how we learn.

You'll get there, so don't let it worry ya.

Agreed.

Also, I'd give up on that 'pass or fail' thing you've got going on.
  • jperelst
    Options
    You're going to slip up once in a while. It's no reason to quit. You might even say it's a reason to keep going, because the alternative is overeating every day.

I've lost 20 pounds since the beginning of July and I've had three slip-up days. It happens.

By the way, since it takes about 3500 calories to add a pound (or a deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound), you would have had to eat one hell of a lot of noodles for it to have mattered in the long run.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Someone quoted on here, and it has stuck with me: "One bad meal won't make you fat, same as one healthy meal won't make you skinny." Remember that, and move on. If this is the first time you've slipped up since June you're doing amazingly well, keep up the good work and keep your goal in mind :)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You probably don't expect others to be perfect. Why do that to yourself? If you look at this as a life filled with restrictions, you'll be miserable. Life is life. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition. I HATE when I mess up my diet, knowingly or accidentally, but as long as I go back to my plan (healthy eating) I haven't really done any damage... Sometimes I gain a pound or 2... but I know how to fix that. Find some balance and joy in living healthier and put less emphasis on "perfection" , it doesn't exist.
  • josul75
    josul75 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    One slip-up is not going to ruin your whole diet! Perhaps plan a 20 minute walk or workout today to make up for the extra calories to help get you back on track. Don't beat yourself up about a few noodles :)

Going forward, allow yourself the foods you enjoy, just eat less of them and factor them into your limit for the day. I still get a chinese take-away every Friday evening as a treat to myself for being so good all week, except I get one chicken or prawn dish with boiled rice instead of 2 high fat meals with chips and fried rice plus starter like I did before.

You'll find you will be much more able to stick to a diet if you don't deprive yourself too much.

Remember, focus on the positives and let go of the the negatives. You can do this! Good luck!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    Log it, move on. At worse, if it was extra salty you will have a water weight gain that will come off in 36 hours. Congrats on the discipline to stay on course since June. You are doing great.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Then stop being on a diet and treat this as a total lifestyle change... Fit those foods that you sometimes enjoy into your caloric intake and stop thinking that foods are good vs. bad, yes there are some foods that are more nutritious, but the other ones that are less can be just as good. Especially if they help you adhere to your overall plan (Pizza from time to time, cookies here and there, etc, etc)..... Once you have accomplished this it will make this journey a whole lot easier.... Best of Luck
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Be proud it is your first "slip up" since June :smile: thats pretty amazing, just log it, smile and put it down as a lesson learnt. Dont undo all your hard work for noodles lol!
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What? One slip up and you're going throw away all your hard work? I get the all or nothing mentality, I used to be that way. Here's a saying that helped snap me out of it, by Jillian Micheals. She said something like, "If your car has one flat tire, would you go and slash the other three?" Don't give up, you've come this far, keep going, no one's perfect, so don't be so hard on yourself. Don't let one cup of noodles end your game. You can do this, really! :flowerforyou:
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are on a diet, then I urge you to quit. When people diet and hit their goal weights they generally fall right back into the old bad habits. Why don't you continue to log calories, watch them, eat healthy, and you know what? HAVE the cup of noodles if that's what floats your boat. Have the chocolate, have the gelatto, have the cookies, and you are more than welcome to my share of cake. Treat yourself with something small so you don't go binge crazy later and fail. Just be certain you are within your caloric goals. I'm sure all of us have logged something after the fact and been shocked and dismayed. We learn from it, move on and start again tomorrow. The people that do that are successful, the people that don't are ... fat.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Then stop being on a diet and treat this as a total lifestyle change... Fit those foods that you sometimes enjoy into your caloric intake and stop thinking that foods are good vs. bad, yes there are some foods that are more nutritious, but the other ones that are less can be just as good. Especially if they help you adhere to your overall plan (Pizza from time to time, cookies here and there, etc, etc)..... Once you have accomplished this it will make this journey a whole lot easier.... Best of Luck

^^this

even if you ate the noodles your total intake for the day was most likely still under maintanance. Meanining you are still going to lose some weight this week, maybe just a bit less. But if that measn you could eat something you didn't have in months isn't it worth it?
    Now you now how calorific they are so next time you want some you can plan for it. No harm done.

Just keep at it! :flowerforyou:
  • D224
    D224 Posts: 6
    Options
    First of all, try not considering what you are doing as a diet, but more of a lifestyle, or life choices, if you will. We make informed choices every day. Sometimes, we just made poor ones, sometimes, as in your case, we don't have all the information we need to make the choice we would like to make. Use this as a learning tool. Now you have the information you need about this particular product. Now, that does not mean you will never make a poor choice. We all do. That thing is, don't let that one choice, or how ever many poor choices WE have made or will make, be a stopping point or a stumbling block. Pick up from where you are today and move forward. By the way, fact that this is the first time you have slipped since June is actually very impressive. Great Job!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    How about digging just a tad deeper and working a tad harder? Or, you know, just quit because it's easier.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    NO talk of quitting :)

one bad day does not a 'diet' break...

Each day you get a clean slate :-D

come on..keep going...its sooo worth it :)
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    When I started, I treated any day under maintenance as a victory. It meant that no matter how achingly slow, I was still going to be headed in the correct direction after today.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i remember when i failed my first test in college. I still eventually graduated.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    This one time when I was learning to walk, I stumbled, tripped, and fell. It discouraged me so much that I decided to spend the rest of my life laying on the floor. Never again would I try to walk, because of my fear of falling.

^Obviously not true, but it illustrates a similar logic. Take what Ed said to heart. Learn to eat everything in moderation. Overly restrictive diets have a way of catering to the fail/quit mentality, and in the long run contribute nothing positive to the lives of so many of those who do them.

Don't stay down because you fell. Use your legs, like a big girl. :flowerforyou:
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    One meal makes no difference in your progress, more importantly:

Quitting is not an option - choose another option, like picking back up and moving forward.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

This! I've done it too where I ate something before looking at the calories then realized oh boy. Don't give up though. Now that you know how many calories was in that portion, make the portion smaller next time to fit within your calorie goal. Or go for a longer workout session.