What are your favorite "insteads"?

Options

Replies

• ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    Werther's Original Candies. They taste like the inside of a score bar which is soooooooo good! So smooth and sweet. 2 of them makes me instantly happy, more so than a 300+ cal chocolate bar and they are only 23 calories each.

MMMMmm! I love those and its been so long since I've had any. Gotta get me some!!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Chips and salsa are my greatest weakness. Today, I picked up some rice cakes :) They made me happy, I think I just just missing the crunchy salty goodness. You could even make salsa and toss it on your rice cake. I haven't tried it, but salsa isn't terrible IF you make it yourself :)

Store bought salsa is very low cal. :)

I have found that it can be full of sugar, though. I ADORE salsa but have to watch how much of it I eat.

Gotcha. I don't track my sugars so I didn't realize that.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Oh, and chocolate! I love chocolate bars and used to treat myself to one once or twice a week. Now I find that a couple of pieces of dark chocolate completely satisfies my craving. I have a banana and small bit of dark chocolate for dessert almost every night. The tastes go together really well and I feel full and happy afterwards.
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow cheese. I put one wedge on instead of cheese AND mayo on my chicken breast sandwhich and it's so creamy & good. It also lowers the amount of salad dressing I need on a salad.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Cool idea for a thread :)

-homemade jalapeno poppers with bean and cheese mixture, baked, with a cornmeal crust, instead of my Jack in the Box fix. Saves lots of drunked binge calories :P
    -ice tea instead of diet soda
    -greek yogurt instead sour cream

for everyone who's mentioning salty/crunchy snakcs, i just tried smart foods white cheddar popcorn for the first time...sooooo good! two cups is only 130 calories :D
  • samdempsey38
    Options
    mango slices and grapes for the commute :drinker:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow Cow instead of froyo
    Acrtic Zero instead of ice cream
    VitaTops instead of cupcakes/muffins
    Ground Turkey or Morningstar crumbles instead of ground beef
    Special K Cracker Chips or Humbles Baked Hummus Chips instead of chips
    100% egg white instead of whole eggs
    Pb2 (or Better'N Peanut Butter) instead of Jif
    Trader Joe's Roasted Plantain Chips instead of ...well..any unhealthy snack

I'm sure I have others, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I also eat a lot of fruit, but that didn't replace anything since I always ate it, same with veggies.
  • spuzo
    spuzo Posts: 50
    Options
    Since finding out I cant eat starches or starchy veggies finding "insteads" has become an obsession..

*I second the homemade jalapeno poppers....I make my own - no breading and no frying.
    *Parmesan cheese or coconut to coat chicken tenders intead of bread crumbs.
    *Spaghetti squash instead of real pasta [someone else mentioned this too] topped with meat sauce and parmesan cheese.
    *Using cauliflower or turnips instead of potatoes to top shepherd's pie or as a mashed substitute.
    *Snacking on whole foods [veggies, cheese, eggs, etc...]instead of processed junk food from the vending machines at work.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    vanilla creme brulee or apple cinammon rice cakes instead of potato chips
    skinny cow ice cream instead of any other ice cream
    2 % milk and cheese instead of regular
    whoe wheat bread, muffins, waffles instead of white
    greek yogurt instead of regular
    kraft may with olive oil instead of regular mayonnaise
    ground turkeyinstead of ground beef
    whole wheat pasta instead of white
    baked breaded foods instead of fried
    olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of salad dressing
    kashi go lean instant oatmeal insted of quaker instant (saves on sugar)
    lots of healthy options to swap out!!
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I knew some of these but I'm printing this thread out and taking it to the store with me!

MORE! MORE!! =) haha
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    grapes instead of candy/chocolate/anything with sugar

TRY PUTING GREEN GRAPES IN THE FREEZER AND EATING THEM! IT TASTES LIKE CANDY! THEY ARE SO GOOD!

My "instead" is Brownie bites instead of cake or something else. Only 65 calories each!
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt or sorbet instead of ice cream.

Homemade popcorn (with a whirley pop) instead of all other salty snacks (omg so good!).

Slices of ham with a string cheese instead of a sandwich.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, good question...
    40% less fat Cape Cod chips instead of full fat Lay's (gotta have my chips!)
    2 eggs for breakfast instead of eggs with bacon and toast
    Weight Watchers giant ice cream bars instead of a giant bowl of regular ice cream
    1 slice of pizza instead of 3
    Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice frozen meals for lunch instead of the crap my work's cafe sells
    Subway instead of McDonalds
  • nelsaphine
    nelsaphine Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash instead of pasta . With some spaghetti sauce on it and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese....mmmmm!!!

spaghetti squash? I've never head of that but it sounds interesting :)
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    definitely the frozen grapes, they are better than candy:smile:
  • bowmankd
    Options
    Apples and Amish Apple Butter (15 calories, no fat) instead of anything crunchy.

Beef Jerkey
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the ideas! I am going to try several of them. The spaghetti squash idea might be dinner this weekend! I will also have to try the frozen grapes. Yum!
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Chips and salsa are my greatest weakness. Today, I picked up some rice cakes :) They made me happy, I think I just just missing the crunchy salty goodness. You could even make salsa and toss it on your rice cake. I haven't tried it, but salsa isn't terrible IF you make it yourself :)

Agreed! My weakness is chips more so than anything, so finding rice cakes has been great!

also another favorite "instead" of is that i work at a fast food, instead of getting fries I get a small fruit cup
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    - Egg white omelettes instead of whole egg omelettes
    - REAL bacon instead of turkey bacon
    - Unsweetened almond milk instead of milk
    - Sandwich fillings rolled in the sandwich meat instead of served on bread
    - Black coffee instead of coffee with cream/sugar/reduced creamer/splenda
    - Preparing my meals instead of dining out
    - Real Yogurt (all natural, only ingredients I can pronounce) instead of the lite/lower calorie varieties

Charmagne
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    1 slice of pizza instead of 3

*like*