Just Ordered Polar FT40...?

Options
After weeks of research and feedback from MFP members I finally decided to order a heart rate monitor. I went with the Polar FT40. I'm looking forward to the features which help me stay in the 'fat-burner zone' and the fitness test seeing how the ticker does at rest. I'm not planning to compete in a triathlon anytime soon so I didn't invest extra for laptimes or GPS capabilities.

So many choices...so little time. Does anyone have this model and how is it working for you?

Replies

• Jessi9598
    Options
    I would like to get one too...are they very expensive?
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I got the FT4 not 40, bought it at sportscheck for 130 with taxes. Works great, love it!
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! :) I just ordered a HRM too. I ordered the Suunto M5. I had the Polar F6. The only thing I didn't like about it was once the chest strap batteries die, you have to replace the entire strap, not just the batteries. Polar and Suunto are the leaders in HRMs!
  • Sherri71
    Options
    I would like to get one too...are they very expensive?

I got my Suunto M5 on eBay for $125, brand new. They retail anywhere from $150-$209. I think you can get a pretty decent Polar for about $100.
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I ordered through Amazon and it was $112 w/ free shipping. I decided to step up in price from my $50 budget justifying the features and product quality comments from users. Polarusa.com does a good job coaching you through the different features of their watches.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    got one back in Nov. 2009. love it. works great. comparing to MFP calories burned it would always be 200-400 calories more. I adjusted it on MFP to reflect the true amount I am burning.
  • sweetkal1
    Options
    I am changing the subject a little hope I am not out of line. Will come back to the FT40 to check out the benefits. I am new so work with me. lol I need some advice on how to get through stressful diet moments. I don't go over over my calorie content but my choices are not on target.. I believe low carb is best for me. When I get to moving I will choice fried chicken.( it is low in carb but it is fried and you can easily get to it) Any suggestion I welcome I believe the more I talk about some of the pitfalls the better I can deal with them.
  • 4McElfish
    Options
    I bought my Polar FT40 this week and have used it 4 times so far. I absolutely love it! Walking in the neighborhood or hiking it gives you a sense of how hard you are working. At the gym the machine I was on picked up my heart rate & displayed it on the machine (the polar machine was right on, the other machine was a few beats fast but close). The big thing I noticed was that the calories burned were much lower according to my watch vs the elliptical or stationary bike. I think because you can personalize the watch more it is more accurate when it comes to calories burned. is: the watch has you imput your activity level - I was honest since I'm not in organized sports & don't break into a sweat at work and I put low. I think the machines at the gym are set at moderate or higher based on the average folks going there. I really glad I got it. It sure makes working out more interesting & I know my workout was effective. Good luck.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If someone could please tell me about how many calories they burn on the ellptical according to their hrm compared to what the machines said i would love to know. I am getting a hrm soon just got to keep looking around. The ellptical says i burn 600 calories in 50 minutes but from reading the post it may be less.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4. I got it for my birthday in October and absolutely love it! It's one of the best gifts my boyfriend has given me.

I wear it for every workout.

I'm sure you will be pleased with your new HRM.

Karen
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have the FT40 and I too did research before I bought it. Well I LOVE it. It's a great HRM and I love that it shows you your cal's burnt and the percentage of Fat cal's. It's simple to set-up, very easy to use... No fiddling about. Great buy, you'll love it!
  • Sherri71
    Options
    If someone could please tell me about how many calories they burn on the ellptical according to their hrm compared to what the machines said i would love to know. I am getting a hrm soon just got to keep looking around. The ellptical says i burn 600 calories in 50 minutes but from reading the post it may be less.

Calories burned goes by your weight and age. I am 39 and 137lbs. I burn approximately 420 calories doing 60 minutes on the elliptical. If you don't have a HRM yet, I believe you can find a calculator on the internet that will give you a better estimate.
  • ForTheFam
    ForTheFam Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm encouraged I made a good choice. Many 'heartfelt' thanks.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I got the FT4M.. Easy set up.. I wear it every so often.