slipped up today for first time and now debating quitting.

Options

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If you were starting your day and first thing in the morning you got a speeding ticket, would you decide to quit following all the other traffic laws for the rest of the day?

Quitting accomplishes nothing other than putting you that much farther from your goals.

What I would do is look at why you are considering this a slip up, did it fit into your daily goals? Are your daily goals too restrictive?? All foods can be part of an overall healthy diet. Don't label foods as bad or good, they are food. Start learning how to make them fit into an overall diet.

I eat ice cream, baked goods, etc... but I also eat veggies, chicken, fruits... not one item is good or bad, but as a whole they help me to reach my nutritional needs. Now some days and weeks I am better at it than others. That's okay too, because I'm not perfect. But I am consistent and this is what pays off in the long run.

Here's a few links that helped me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1343719-get-rich-quick
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since January. I've had... loads of slip ups. And lots of intentional days where I ate to maintantance because of special occasions. And days when I accidentally went over maintenance. I recently had an entire month where I ate over maintenance a lot (I was moving country, stopped tracking, ate like crap) and ended up gaining back around 5lb. And yet I've kept plugging away at it and I've lost almost 30lb. Slip ups don't matter. One pot noodle doesn't even count as a slip up in my mind.

Stop thinking of this as a diet. Diet's end. This is a lifestyle change that shouldn't end... it's a long term thing. There will be bad days and great days but as long as you keep trying and have more good days than bad, it all works out in the end.

Sure, you could quit. It's up to you. Or you could keep going, picking away at the weight bit and bit, and imagine what you could lose by September 26th 2015. Or do you want to be in September next year wishing you'd started last year? The time will pass whether you're losing weight or not.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Ive been on this diet since june and i slipped up for first time today eating a cup of noodles and i didnt realize it had so many calories until i had already ate it. Now i feel real bad about messing up so badly and thinking about quitting. I do this everytime i go on a diet,i quit everytime i diet and slip up. But i am telling myself not to and to just get back on track now. Its just hard cuz im mad that i allowed myself to do that once again just like with every diet ive ever been on.
    Are you going to give up on life then, because hey it's life and it's not perfect and not everything goes to plan. You didn't get fat because of one cup of noodles.

Step back have a look at what you're doing is the way you're going about this too extreme or restrictive? Is that why you always quit.

Maybe have a look at this thread lots of useful helpful stuff in it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If, as a child, when you first got up and tried that first wobbly step you had said "that's it I quit" when you fell for the first time what would be the result. You would be in a wheelchair today.

If, as a first time employee, when you tried to do a task for the first time you had said "that's it I quit" when you didn't get it right the first time what would be the result. You would be penniless today.

Why do you think this is any different.

In life you will slip up.

Again.

And again.

And again.

What is important is you get up and learn.

Again.

And again.

And again.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your profile. I would suggest trying to build a support system (which it seems like you're doing) and complete your profile. How many calories are you shooting for each day. Is it 1200? That seems to be the magic number given to most newbies but that might be too little and too aggressive starting out. I thought that's what it would take for me to lose weight and I was miserable. Glad I don't do that anymore; I'm much happier and I'm still losing.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Wow. You've gotten such excellent advice by so many of the people I call my friends - that my work is done. Way to go, people.

P.S. Listening to them is what has enabled me to make some pretty cool changes in my life and health. You should do it, too.

Thanks to CyperEd, Jwhited, Zardoz, George Bailey and that SunofaBeach.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    you have a tremendous amount of great information here that has been given to you by some very successful people. Have you looked at the tickers of these folks?

These people did not lose all their weight quitting over a cup of noodles. These folks are my reason I believe that I will be successful. You will be also. Listen to them...read the links they have given you.

Incidentally...I weighed this morning and I have gained this past few weeks...I don't weigh very often. I will go back and read the links I spoke about, re evaluate and most importantly..

.KEEP. GOING.
  • frisco111
    frisco111 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is great to read on a bad food day

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/08/16/get-over-it/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    If you accidentally reversed your car into a pole and left a little dent, would you say "stuff it" and take a crowbar to the rest of the car? No? Then why quit over a cup of noodles?

You don't need to be 'perfect'. You're never going to be 'perfect'. None of us are. Success is making more good decisions than bad. You haven't failed until you've stopped trying.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Someone quoted on here, and it has stuck with me: "One bad meal won't make you fat, same as one healthy meal won't make you skinny." Remember that, and move on. If this is the first time you've slipped up since June you're doing amazingly well, keep up the good work and keep your goal in mind :)

Great advice!
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    i remember when i failed my first test in college. I still eventually graduated.

^^ I like this! :smile:
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Pfffffft I slipped up pretty much every day this week by at least a couple hundred cals. So. Much. Apple. Pie. But who cares? Enjoy it, log it, get back on track. I had an amazing day today. But girl, it's my birthday tomorrow. We are having dinner at Kelly O's and I was dumb enough to look up and discover that one plate of Pachos is 900 cals!!! Know what I'm going to do? Stuff my birthday girl face with Pachos, get drunk on high calorie drinks and just write it off. Because life happens! Once my birthday weekend is over I'll buckle down and eat right.

Don't throw away all your hard work over one little slip up. Embrace your humanity. Go for a long walk and POOF those extra calories are gone. Don't beat yourself up over it. Just savor the noodley goodness then stare your calorie counter in the face and say "Totally worth it b****es!"
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Wow .. you guys are awesome! Such good motivation and genuine help. It helped ME! lol
  • lizzzzyp
    Options
    A cup of noodles means very little in the long term scheme.
    You say that you've been dieting since June and haven't lost weight?
    Have you had your thyroid checked for under activity?
    Do you have a desk job? If so have you put in the correct activity level? If not perhaps you need a lower calorie level.
    Are you getting in any cardio (ie walking)?
    There is an explanation for your lack of success but an occasional bowl of noodles isn't it.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    OP, an earlier post referred to "pass or fail" mentality, and I would like to comment further on that.

I used to live in a very rigid life, everything was either right or it was wrong, either good or it was bad, either black or it was white.

A very good therapist reminded me that life is not just black or white - there is a whole bunch of gray - of varying shades. She always reminded me to "find my gray" - meaning find my balance.

So find your gray, find your balance - in eating and in life.

MFP has some very find members that can help you find your gray, if you let them.

Good luck.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I slip up all the time. I'll either be lazy about getting to the gym or I'll drink way too much beer with my buddies. It happens. Life is meant to be enjoyed.

Just get back to it. You owe it to yourself.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Please don't look at this as a diet. It should be a lifestyle change. Maybe that can help your attitude towards minor slip ups that are bound to happen. Not sure how many calories these cup of noodles had, but I really doubt it would be enough to derail your progress. I'm sure you are still eating under maintenance. Read the links that were posted earlier, they are really helpful and will help confirm whether your goals are set appropriately.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    You ate a cup of noodles. It's not cancer. Nobody died.

If you enjoy those noodles, then figure out a way to include them in your plan. Continue to eat at a deficit for the rest of the week and you'll be OK.

Last week I ate a brownie and lived to tell about it! I still lost 2 pounds overall.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Someone quoted on here, and it has stuck with me: "One bad meal won't make you fat, same as one healthy meal won't make you skinny." Remember that, and move on. If this is the first time you've slipped up since June you're doing amazingly well, keep up the good work and keep your goal in mind :)

That's a really good quote!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results" (attributed to both Albert Einstein and Ben Franklin online - who knows)

"I've failed over and over and over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

The first quote was my motto when I started out around nearly 5 years ago. Evey other time I tried losing weight, I cut out things I loved to eat and ultimately gave up because it wasn't sustainable. I was so happy when I finally figured out that deprivation was the problem because it meant I could try a whole new way - and it's working quite well!

I still haven't made it to goal though after all this time - does that make me a failure? Does that mean I should just give up and become obese again? HELL no!

OP, you can use it as an excuse to quit if you want but realize you're just going to be right back where you started in no time. Why not try something different this time?