Shift work and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to lose 42lbs since January, and so far I am down 6lbs...but at least I have stopped the cycle of weight GAIN that I have been in for years. My main problem is that I am a nurse that works all sorts of shifts, mainly days and nights (7am-7.30pm or 7pm-7.30am) and they are all over the place. Every week we do a different shift pattern, with a mix of nights and days.

I'm really struggling with a few things, firstly, I am either exhausted or starving or both on my days off. I usually walk 10,000 steps at work at least, plus moving patients around etc so I can understand why I am so hungry and I do up my calories by about 200 on work days. My days off are when I overeat and sit around all day, help!

Also, how do you work out your calories for night shifts? For example, I am working a single night shift today, so I got up at 10am this morning and will probably be up until 9am tomorrow morning and then back on lates on Monday. How do I work out my calories for this?

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I always used to split my nights. I'd work out my cals for the day then anything I ate after midnight went onto the following day. Sounds kind of anal but worked for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You use 24 hour periods, time of consumption is irrelevant. You are the only one that control what you eat. Get up and move instead of sitting around eating. Track calories, eat at a deficit, you will lose.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options

I'm really struggling with a few things, firstly, I am either exhausted or starving or both on my days off. I usually walk 10,000 steps at work at least, plus moving patients around etc so I can understand why I am so hungry and I do up my calories by about 200 on work days. My days off are when I overeat and sit around all day, help!

My days off I always have totally full. If Im not doing housework or running the kids around I make time to see friends and hit the gym for an hour a day. Dont give myself time to sit still. Works for me and means I dont sit around exhausted and sorry for myself because by the time I drop into bed I sleep really well. The more time I give myself to sit around the worse I feel

Good luck
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I always used to split my nights. I'd work out my cals for the day then anything I ate after midnight went onto the following day. Sounds kind of anal but worked for me.

This is what I do now. Midnight to midnight.
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I do flight control, so I also often change what shift I work. I just use what day I'm on. Once midnight hits I change to the next day. I have to think about what I can eat when on those transition days, but it works well for me.
  • awesomejdad
    awesomejdad Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    midnight to midnight is how I do it. And don't let shift work be an excuse. If you want something you have to not make excuses. I work out after my night shift. Go and do what you know you have to do no matter what.
  • lrose1969
    lrose1969 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I work overnights from 11 to 7 all the time so I don't have to adjust back and forth, except on my days off. I keep myself busy on my days off even though I am sometimes exhausted. (I take care of my elderly mother too.) I also log my food from midnight to midnight, it works well for me. I find what works better for me is planning my meals ahead of time both when I work and when I'm off so that I have a good idea of how many calories I will be eating. Hope these suggestions help, and keep trying to find that system that works for you....good luck!
  • bigcle82
    bigcle82 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift and do what majority have said midnight to midnight