Help!

Options
So her is my dilemma, I work three days a week overnight and the other 2 days i work 3-11 I am having a hard time with eating at the same time everyday and I believe it is effecting my weight-loss. I have been eating roughly about 1300 calories per day give or take a few, working out daily walking/running, sit ups, squats weight ball etc .. I cant afford the gym so I am doing the best I can also haven't been able to buy a scale to weigh my food but I think i am tracking it pretty well for now, MFP says I should be eating about 1450 cals a day ive been doing 1300 because I dont have a scale to track properly any way I lost 1lb this week which is great but I think I should be doing so much better. If anyone can give me any tips on meal scheduling and/or exercise tips that are not gym related. I am in need in a lot of support this week I really expected to lose that 2lbs because I have been working so freaking hard my whole body is sore getting on that scale really put me in the dumps but I am trying to maintain my motivation its just hard yanno?

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey a pound off is still better than a pound on :smile:
  • _Blues_
    _Blues_ Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    indeed it is and I am happy about that.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is great progress. :)

Whenever I workout + diet I find its a little slower to show on the scale vs only dieting. I think its due to building muscle and a little bit of water retention. Don't let it make you frustrated though it will pay off in the future. Your doing great things for your body. Just hang in there! :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what time you eat. Caloric deficit = weight loss. A pound a week is awesome!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster...it's total caloric intake that matters, not time of day you took it in. A 1 lb weight loss is really good. It's not linear, would love it if it was. I have had weeks with no loss and then within a week lose 3-4 lbs. I would definitely find the time/money for a food scale though. Accuracy is important. And is your 1300 calories before or after exercise? You do want to eat back at least part of your exercise calories (I aim for half of what MFP says I burn because their burn rate is too high), or you won't be feeding your body enough and will end up feeling sluggish. Good luck on meeting your goals, you can do it. Just don't let losses that don't seem enough for your work to get you down!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    If you have just started working out it is possible that your body is retaining water from the unaccustomed exercise.
  • _Blues_
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and support I really appreciate it all. I started working out a bit harder this past week but I was working out before (just walking) so maybe its a bit of retention.I am very happy that I lost the pound its just I was reading (I think on here) that eating times do matter so I thought maybe someone on here had a similar schedule and has been successful. I try and eat more when I burn but its hard sometimes I feel too full so I don't eat anymore. I am eating lots of fruits, veggies and nuts plus I'm taking multivitamins.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    And if you are sore from exercise, this is a sure sign that your body is needing to repair muscles. Which requires extra water...
    If you have just started working out it is possible that your body is retaining water from the unaccustomed exercise.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments and support I really appreciate it all. I started working out a bit harder this past week but I was working out before (just walking) so maybe its a bit of retention.I am very happy that I lost the pound its just I was reading (I think on here) that eating times do matter so I thought maybe someone on here had a similar schedule and has been successful. I try and eat more when I burn but its hard sometimes I feel too full so I don't eat anymore. I am eating lots of fruits, veggies and nuts plus I'm taking multivitamins.

I eat at bizarre schedules and times and still lose as long as I track. If it has an effect, it's small.
  • Naveen2006
    Naveen2006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    calorie in vs calorie out is all tht matter..meal frequency doesnt really matter..but make sure u hit ur macros close to perfect..dont set a huge calorie deficit..u can find lot of calorie counters online..1 pound loss per week is just right..u gotta be patient and trust the process..lift weights instead of long cardio sessions..and try HIIT cardio twice or thrice a week...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So here is my dilemma, I work three days a week overnight and the other 2 days i work 3-11 I am having a hard time with eating at the same time everyday and I believe it is effecting my weight-loss. I have been eating roughly about 1300 calories per day

As the others have said.... meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss. And, you are probably retaining water for muscle repair.

You might get some more detailed responses if you you open your diary. Are you logging accurately? I wonder, because you say you are eating nuts... and I don't log very accurately, and I dump random amounts of nuts on my salad, so I know first hand about not logging accurately and not losing.

That said, 1 lb in a week, is great. I'm sure with all your efforts you were hoping for 2. Keep in mind that your calorie goals are very low, and you many be eating more than you think. And even if you're not, you may find that such goals aren't sustainable. Don't be afraid to up your calories a bit, if you feel the need to.

Ah... what I really meant to address was your work schedule. I've worked some wonky schedules before, too. The combination of night shifts with afternoon shifts, would make your meal timing a bit difficult. There's no need to try to eat at the same times each day. But, trying to stay under calorie budget, and logging stuff for individual days, that can be tricky.
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    1lb a week is great progress. :)

Whenever I workout + diet I find its a little slower to show on the scale vs only dieting. I think its due to building muscle and a little bit of water retention. Don't let it make you frustrated though it will pay off in the future. Your doing great things for your body. Just hang in there! :)

Thank you for saying this, I have been so frustrated because I added working out into my routine now even though I haven't lost much yet and the scale isn't going down nearly as much as I think it should now. It almost made me want to quit working out to see if that speeds it up some because I have so much to lose. But I'll keep doing it. Thanks. :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    lift weights instead of long cardio sessions..and try HIIT cardio twice or thrice a week...

This might depend on your goals somewhat. While lifting weights is always a good idea. I also do cardio, because it makes me feel good, and because I can eat more. Eating is important to me.
  • Juicer82
    Juicer82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do you think you're eating enough? Sometimes with working out so much, you need to up your calories to make up for some of it. But not all the time.

Just a thought!!
  • _Blues_
    Options
    I have been tracking everything that i eat down to the smallest nut or even 3 mm's i dont always get a chance to log it on here because i dont have a cell phone and I can only log on when I have wifi also my tablet is old and it really hates the internet and sometimes I get so frustrated with it that I give up trying to get on here to log all my food but I do have it written down. I think that I have been under my calories a lot but I eat until I am full, the only time that I felt hunger was last week when it was TOM, that was ludicris I had never been so ravenous but I did good. I dont have much for weights just 2lbs ankle weights and a 10lb weight ball that I use as a kettlebell I am doing the best I can with what I have to work with. Like I said currently I am unable to afford a gym membership but I am working on that and I plan on buying scale this weekend hopefully.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I used to work rotating shifts and I know that I've had trouble with meals before - not necessarily because of the time of ingestion (because, as previous posts have said, time doesn't matter), but because I couldn't get into a routine and that was by necessity. I find that I'm a VERY routine-dependent sort of person - I eat breakfast at 8am, lunch at 1pm, dinner at 9pm, and that seems to be my optimal meal routine in order for me to feel "right". When I worked rotating shifts, I couldn't establish a set time to eat, and that would wreak havoc with my body. Same thing with sleep, really - I'd go to bed at 8pm one night and 2am the next day, so I couldn't get enough sleep, either.

It may mess with you as far as scheduling goes - if you're like me, that is. Just something to maybe ponder!