Multivitamin Weight Gain?

Options
Well, I have been told by countless people to take multivitamin. I purchased Mens One A Day from Walmart and since then I have gained 3 pounds and cannot seem to lose them. I plan to stop taking it tomorrow and see what happens. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    No, never even heard of that. Seriously doubt its the vitamin.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in those vitamins?! Really don't think there's any where near enough to make you gain weight.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    all in your head. no part of a vitamin is going to make you gain weight. if anything its going to speed up your metabolism and make you lose weight
  • Bryan24680
    Bryan24680 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing yourself right after you get up? Cause if you do it in the afternoon your weight fluctuates with water and food.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you were slightly dehydrated, you could be getting an electrolyte you needed and simply gained three pounds in water.

Vitamins will not make you fat, that's just not logical.

Also weighing every day will make you go insane. Your weight can fluctuate a lot just from water day to day....
  • StephenKTHill
    Options
    Thanks for the answers folks. I will continue taking them and see what happens. Honestly, I think I am paranoid about gaining weight and may have rushed to a conclusion.
  • WildlyCurly
    WildlyCurly Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers folks. I will continue taking them and see what happens. Honestly, I think I am paranoid about gaining weight and may have rushed to a conclusion.

I am also really paranoid too so I understand your concern. But I highly doubt it is 3 pounds of fat you have gained. It could be water weight, or maybe you have put on some muscle. I take a multivitamin too but I have not noticed any weight gain from it, if anything it has helped me, I think...
  • Fujigala
    Fujigala Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this helps, but once I take iron supplements I seem unable to lose any more weight, sometimes even gain some. I use a multi vitamin with only a small amount of iron in it and that seems to work for me.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    You should try a cleanse, I've heard vitamins just pass right through you anyway, no need to take them.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Vitamins or supplements cannot cause you to gain or lose weight.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah the vitamin could not be making you gain weight. if it has any calories at all it would be like 5-15 calories.... It is probably just weight fluctuation or water weight. My advise is to weigh yourself once a week, on the same day every week, in the morning after using the rest room!
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You should be good to go. Vitamins will only help you.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same thing! The only vitamin I currently take is calcium fortified with vitamin D. When I took multivitamins, I was SO hungry all the time. I guess maybe it only affects some people like that, because everyone told me I was crazy for thinking this. This has happened recently and in the past. As soon as I stopped taking them, my appetite went back to normal. Now I just make sure to get enough vitamins from healthy food.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    I asked my pharmasist when I bought my multi-vitamins about them. I was asking about drug interactions and such and mentioned I was taking them because I am trying to lose weight and would like to make sure I have enough nutrients (in case I mess up haha). He said "These aren't a substitute for a good diet. And you'll gain up to half a pound a month". The guy a bit disdainful.

So I take them every second day...

But is there any basis to it I wonder....
  • lpmkg
    lpmkg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes, It is possible that your vitamin is causing you to gain weight ,Thiamine, Zinc, insulin which is found in most multivitamin increase appetite.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/447351-best-vitamins-to-gain-weight/
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If you were slightly dehydrated, you could be getting an electrolyte you needed and simply gained three pounds in water.

Vitamins will not make you fat, that's just not logical.
    agree- completely illogical.
    Also weighing every day will make you go insane. Your weight can fluctuate a lot just from water day to day....
    disagree.

I weigh daily- and I love it- more data points- I can tell when I'm actually GAINING or just water weight- the only way I would know is from more data points- I used to weigh 2x daily- once in the AM- and once in the PM before bed- mostly because I'm a nerd and I like numbers.

It's not that bad if you can use it for a tool and be objective- it's just most people cannot.
  • una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Vitamins don't do that... I am not sure that's the cause :)