Motivation for Counting Calories

Options
So, I have started to gradually exercise more and more; about every day this week, I have walked at least 15 minutes (but my sessions have been mostly 30-45 minutes of total exercise, including both cardio and strength training). I feel confident that I am and will continue to become fit. There is one issue, however...

I have a habit of counting my calories/logging in the beginning of the day, but then stopping by the end. Recently, I've barely logged in the calories at all. It's safe to assume this is due to the fact that I eat out all of the time and can't stand to eat things like salad, or any food you need to prepare at home. This is partially due to hating where I live. I live in a semi-abusive environment and need to get out. Financially, I am struggling.

Any suggestions? Exercising daily, even if it is just for 15 minutes, is helping my mood a lot, but I feel like it's impossible for me to commit both to eating healthy and tracking those calories. I guess I will have to make another post in the diet thread for tastier, healthier foods to eat. For now though, I just need the motivation to:

1. Eat healthier
2. Stay on track by counting my calories!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I put on a cape and pretend I'm The Count from Sesame Street.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Knowing exactly what I have to log makes my life easier. For me, a food scale is essential.

Also I look at logging as "owning" my choices. there have been days where I do not want to log it because I do not want to see the damage, LOL. I make myself sit down and put in estimates so I can actually LOOK at the number. Even if I have to force myself to do so!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    maybe read through some of the success stories for inspiration? I am not good at estimating calories, I need to input them to keep track
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Join my group!!! It is designed for that exact reason! to stay motivated!

just go to groups, and search for "football fans fantasy active league." If you like football even remotely, you will have fun!

Score TDs for exercising or losing weight
    Score Field Goals for staying at your adjusted calorie goals
    Bonus points for water intake, logging all meals, and logging into mfp!

come check it out! (this is an open invitation)
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Personally, I pretty much know what I'm going to eat all day before I even leave the house. I pack lunch and breakfast and know what is either left over for dinner or what I'm going to cook. I almost always log all my meals right away in the day. For me, this serves the purpose of letting me know how much I can have for snacks throughout my day. It might help you though just to have most of your day already plotted out before you get lazy with the logging.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe try looking at eating healthy and counting calories as things that you can control. Even if your home environment is beyond your control at the moment, take control of yourself. This is one step to empowering yourself.

Also, if finances are an issue, I would point out (the obvious) that eating out all the time is expensive. Maybe try commiting to one meal a day being fresh fruit and yogurt or cheeses from the market. Find a nice park and sit down to a less expensive and healthy meal. Do you have a laptop or pad? Find a hotspot and log calories on the go.

http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/on-the-go/healthy-fast-foods/

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-021000000000000000000.html?categories=1,9,11,14,7,12,20,16,5,19,6,42,18,3,10,8,21,0,17,13,4,15,22
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    maybe read through some of the success stories for inspiration? I am not good at estimating calories, I need to input them to keep track

This!! I was never motivated to do it until I read the success stories and saw the before/after pics. Holy smokes is it motivating.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions so far as far as the "motivation" part of your question, but to me, the bad home situation is the key. I'm so sorry you're dealing with that. I've BTDT, too. Do you have a plan to get out? Are your finances improving? Also, what is the reason that you eat out all the time? Work? Or is it to get out of the house? Because it is expensive and impossible (for me) to log accurately.
  • ericflorentino
    Options
    A peaceful home environment has helped me lose weight. Really.
    No stress = goodbye stress eating.

When you start felling good about yourself, then you'll start wanting to take care of yourself.
    Then, eating healthier will make "more sense" than it does now.

You'll also start deriving pleasure in little things, things you don't notice when you're agitated.

Good luck on your journey
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    There's a reason why many people are back for their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th+ time

Counting calories - Lose weight (knowing how much you are eating)
    Stop counting calories - Gain weight (underestimating how much you are eating)

I'm not sure what other motivation you need. You don't want to know the truth ? :)

Just to add ...You want a new and sexy start don't you?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you don't track your calories, you'll eventually gain back all the weight you lost. Daily exercise even 15 minutes of activity does your body good, but daily exercise is not sustainable for most of us. Life gets in the way of that. So try to up your exercise minutes to every other day, meaning go for 30 minutes every other day and take a day of rest in between. Then as you get more accustomed to exercising, up it to one hour every other day.

If you start eating healthier, believe me, you actually get to a point where your "taste buds" actually prefers the salad over mashed potatoes and gravy. But at first, it takes sheer determination to order salads in restaurants versus all the other choices.

If you go back to your old habits of overeating, not exercising, and making all the wrong food choices, remember this as the day you gave up, and it will most certainly be the day that you will regret for the rest of your life.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The best tip for counting calories is to prelog what you're going to eat that day. Even the night before, you can decide what you'll have for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and then depending on the weights you can tweak the items as you go about your day.
  • rosestring
    rosestring Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I posted a topic yesterday about what kind of to-go foods I can bring. I suppose I will have to suck it up and prepare meals on Sundays for the remainder of the week, which means being around the bad home life situation. It will be worth it for weight loss, though.

Wish me luck!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I posted a topic yesterday about what kind of to-go foods I can bring. I suppose I will have to suck it up and prepare meals on Sundays for the remainder of the week, which means being around the bad home life situation. It will be worth it for weight loss, though.

Wish me luck!

Good luck! That sounds like a good plan
  • una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Make a mental effort to log ALL day long, maybe even preplan what will you be eating when you eat out and log those in before you leave the house and stick to what you decided to eat that way.
    That would be my suggestion. :)
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    The best tip for counting calories is to prelog what you're going to eat that day. Even the night before, you can decide what you'll have for breakfast/lunch/dinner, and then depending on the weights you can tweak the items as you go about your day.

+1

Pre-logging definitely helps me stay on track.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Counting and measuring is the single most successful tool I have had in losing weight. I lost 20 lbs in 4 months with a hormone disorder diligently counting with little exercise. Its such a pain in the butt I agree, but its worth it because it is so effective. Counting helps me feel in control of the food going in my body which in turn makes me feel healthier and happier. I started doing challenges and it really helped. Just challenge yourself to do tracking for the whole day for 7 days straight and then take a few days off, then try 14 day tracking challenge and then 30 day and so on. It can be helpful to have shorter term goals with breaks in between when tracking isnt a habit yet. Good luck and truly it is worth it!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have a habit of counting my calories/logging in the beginning of the day, but then stopping by the end. Recently, I've barely logged in the calories at all. It's safe to assume this is due to the fact that I eat out all of the time and can't stand to eat things like salad, or any food you need to prepare at home. This is partially due to hating where I live. I live in a semi-abusive environment and need to get out. Financially, I am struggling.

I'm really sorry about your living conditions. I hope you can change that soon.

You can eat a healthy diet and lose weight while eating out all the time, but it's probably going to be more difficult. Logging should be easier though, if you are eating mostly at national chains that will likely have entries in the MFP database. Logging can also help you make choices that can keep your diet balanced, which I imagine will be a challenge.

Can you supplement your diet with fresh vegetables that don't require preparation like baby carrots and sugar snap peas? Maybe add some pre-made nutritional drinks or bars?
  • Katiegirl1970
    Katiegirl1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    This is the only thing that works for me. I buy meals that already have the calorie on the label. People say its alittle more pricey but its what works for me. IF i go out to eat that's my "free day"..I have one free day per week where i can eat what i want.

If you are eating out alot then it will stay hard for you to be able to keep up with your calorie, unless you get the food menu's from each restaurant and start planning with that.

KNOW how many calories are in the meals you like. Subway is great for calorie counting but most place do have a menu that will tell you what calories belong to what meal..Look them up online yourself and make yourself a list of what you can have from what place.

If you will stick to the calorie allotment for the day, you will lose weight.

**I had a friend who ate at Mcdonalds, Wendys, Subway, Krystal---and she still lost 60 pounds cause she stuck with her calorie allotment for the day----NO its not the healthiest but sometimes especially when you are just starting to learn about nutrition, you have to start with calories**

Good luck Doll, and I sincerely hope your home life changes to be positive.
  • akshngrl
    akshngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I HATE logging my calories. You are just starting out so make sure you at least come onto the MFP website every day and read, log your exercise etc. Log when and what you can. Try to figure out what you don't like about it and see if you can get around those barriers.