Sugar Free until 2015

Options

Replies

• TheKingsChampion
    Options
    Mm. I won't be joining you. I love sugary stuff.

I used to be like you and eat everything. But I've found the solution to the problem without having to go sugar free. I'll share my secret with you:

If you want to eat it in moderation, then buy it in moderation. If you want cookies, buy a single serve package with 2 or 4. If you want chocolate, buy something that's about 30-40grams.

You also have to realize something and remind yourself of it when you eat something. A craving is just a craving. It's what your brain wants and you can say no to your brain. If you feel like binging on sweets, ask yourself why? Are you hungry? Or are you just craving?

There's a very clear distinction between the two. When you think you are hungry, and perhaps at the same time you want chocolate, ask yourself if you would be satisfied if you ate an apple instead. If the answer is yes, then you are really hungry and should eat. If nothing other than chocolate will do the trick, it's just a craving.

ETA : in short, think before you eat.
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Hi EmilyAnn.
    I totally understand your plight, I am kind of similar.
    I grew up in the 70's, even though dad worked, we never knew were next meal was coming from, so mum used to drill it in to us kids, don't waste anything.

Now 40 years on, that mentality never truly leaves ya, and it can be anything, a bag of 6 packets of crisps, can't just eat 1, has to be all 6, daren't leave any.

Basically if it can be opened or grabbed and eaten without cooking, I go back to those child hood teachings and it almost impossible to leave it alone.

Now if it has to be cooked, thats different, so now I make sure I get stuff for freezer that has to be done in oven or grill, so if I want something I have that bit of time from going to get it to actually cooking it to think mmm, do I really need to eat this?

Still not easy but easier.

But don't go completely sugar free, I'm a diabetic and can tell ya, as good as it might sound, it will send ya into a bad cycle of cravings and cheat days.

Look for foods with overall carbs, but the ones which have an extremely low carbs that sugar.

12g overall carbs = 1 spoon of sugar over time
    1g of carbs that sugar = 1 spoon of sugar instantly

Now when i want to be a bit naughty, and I have to be very careful as i managed to get off insulin injections so diet n tab control only, i'll go over to my friends place, he always has junk food in, but because it his home, and not mine, it easy then to just have a couple of biscuits or packets of crisps, think yayyy been naughty, then back home and back to normal, and since I don't keep anything like that in house can't binge out.

Hope that helps you out in some way.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Oh please, give her a break.
    Some comments are so discouraging...
    It is possible to go without cookies, cake and chocolate.
    I hardly ever have some and I live fine and don't miss anything.
    If she feels this is the way to overcome the craving than encourage her.
    People are different.

Go for it OP, it is possible if your mind sets for it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Good morning MFP friends!

I have recently had an extremely difficult time fighting sugar cravings, giving in to them, sugar crashing, then repeating the cycle. I'm not one of those people that can just have a bite of something sweet and be satisfied, because I end up ruining the rest of my day and suffer many "food hangovers" the next day. I've finally decided enough is enough and I'm ready to quit desserts, cookies, brownies, cake, etc. for the rest of the year. I know the first couple weeks will be the most difficult, but I can't wait until those cravings slowly start to disappear and I start enjoying real food again.

I'd love for some of you to join this "sugar addict rehab" with me and share our support for one another. :flowerforyou:

Today is DAY ONE!
    I think the problem is you've said is that you want to go 'sugar free', which not only being impractical is impossible. Your body runs on sugar in it's many forms some it makes itself some you ingest. There is a form of sugar in almost everything and your brain needs it just to function.

This thread may have got gone better if you'd just said you were giving up sweet things that give you cravings and that you find it difficult to moderate rather than such as non achievable blanket statement. I applaud your positive mindset but make sure you make goals that are achievable as failure of impossible goals can cause huge mental set backs. Good luck
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    last year i did 3 months with no sugar -
    i even looked at ingredients (no soy sauce, no ketchup, no eating in restaurants where there might be hidden sugar)
    and i did great. i loved the way i felt after. now i do eat sugar if it is in very light moderation, i don't add sugar to anything and i don't eat anything that is overtly sweet such as do-nuts or cake etc. i think my body is happier :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ]I think the problem is you've said is that you want to go 'sugar free', which not only being impractical is impossible. Your body runs on sugar in it's many forms some it makes itself some you ingest. There is a form of sugar in almost everything and your brain needs it just to function.

This thread may have got gone better if you'd just said you were giving up sweet things that give you cravings and that you find it difficult to moderate rather than such as non achievable blanket statement. I applaud your positive mindset but make sure you make goals that are achievable as failure of impossible goals can cause huge mental set backs. Good luck

i don't think she meant giving up sugar such as natural sugar that is in a banana or a carrot. you twisted her post.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good morning MFP friends!

I have recently had an extremely difficult time fighting sugar cravings, giving in to them, sugar crashing, then repeating the cycle. I'm not one of those people that can just have a bite of something sweet and be satisfied, because I end up ruining the rest of my day and suffer many "food hangovers" the next day. I've finally decided enough is enough and I'm ready to quit desserts, cookies, brownies, cake, etc. for the rest of the year. I know the first couple weeks will be the most difficult, but I can't wait until those cravings slowly start to disappear and I start enjoying real food again.

I'd love for some of you to join this "sugar addict rehab" with me and share our support for one another. :flowerforyou:

Today is DAY ONE!
    You're likely going to need to define your quest a bit more clearly, as many things you're not giving up have a lot of sugar and will derail you.
    Perhaps saying something like: no foods with more than 3 grams of added sugar.
    But, then you'd have to look at store bought breads, ketchup etc.

It's a laudable goal.
    I try not to eat foods with more than three grams of added sugar. And have eaten this way for 13 years now.
    It helped me lose and has helped me maintain.
    Am I 100% successful, of course not. But goals are good to have.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    No. Way. Isn't sugar the foundation of the food pyramid? Or is that beer? I get them confused.

It's screwdrivers. That way you get the sugar AND the alcohol.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Oh please, give her a break.
    Some comments are so discouraging...
    It is possible to go without cookies, cake and chocolate.
    I hardly ever have some and I live fine and don't miss anything.
    If she feels this is the way to overcome the craving than encourage her.
    People are different.

Go for it OP, it is possible if your mind sets for it.

This! ^^^
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!

Unfortunately, I agree with.. uh.. whoever it was who said that "totally sugar-free" is unrealistic - aim to minimize, with a goal of zero.

I aim my total carb count at about 20g per day (sugar and starch combined) and it's remarkably easy. Not stressing over a single raisin [or whatever] makes the difference between "OH GOD I FAILED" and "Meh, I'm still within my goal."

Good luck!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congrats EmilyAnn on your dedication and focus on trying a new healthier lifestyle.

I agree with a lot of the content of some of the previous posts, if not the way the information is delivered. Weight loss and good health is a journey, one which may not always follow a very linear path. You are young and learning, and open to it. Good for you.

Setting goals and learning from the struggles to accomplish them are so important. Just keep looking and trying and you will be fine!

Best of luck!
  • EmilyAnn_1989
    Options
    ]I think the problem is you've said is that you want to go 'sugar free', which not only being impractical is impossible. Your body runs on sugar in it's many forms some it makes itself some you ingest. There is a form of sugar in almost everything and your brain needs it just to function.

i don't think she meant giving up sugar such as natural sugar that is in a banana or a carrot. you twisted her post.

You got it... just cutting out the OBVIOUS sugars found in desserts and treats. The topic title just had a nice ring to it :wink:
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Options
    I know EXCACTLY how you feel Emily. I can't have just a little. People always say I have such willpower when I pass up so many treats at work. It's only because I cannot have just 1 donut or 1 piece of cake. Once I start I cannot stop. Some people just don't understand that. I have found the ONLY way I get lose weight anymore is 6 days a week go without dessert. On Saturdays I treat myself! Sometimes I have alot sometimes I don't. But just knowing that 1 day a week I can have a treat it gets me thru!
  • akshngrl
    akshngrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Emily, it is a great goal. I am surprised by the unsupportive comments because there is such a huge body of research about how terrible sugar is for the body and how incredibly addictive it is. There is nothing beneficial about eating processed sugars. When we say, I can't have just a little, that sounds like loss of control/addiction to me. I struggle with the sugar thing so much. And when I eat something sugary, I crave more carbs more carbs more food. I want to join you in this challenge but I'm not ready! We'll see....
  • 211AndCounting
    Options
    YES !!!! I soooo need to cut down on my "sweet junk foods" - so I'm in. How do you want to do this? Do we report in every day on what we ate, our struggles/temptations and how we overcome, what we did (exercise) to help us in our weight-loss and to distract us from the "sugar" stuff. Encouragement, tips, etc.

Pls let me know if you just want to post here or if you're going to set up a group.

It will be 13 and 1/2 weeks till the end of Dec and I can't wait to feel "great" by then (and I know I will feel great cause I always feel soooo much better when I get my sugar intake under control). Looking forward to hearing from you.
  • NaRmI10
    NaRmI10 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to just count your calories honestly *every* day and try to hit your macros...things will sort themselves out as you go along...why join the "all or nothing" camp? :ohwell:

I agree... I tried doing that before.... and I end up gaining the weight back..... again everyone is different.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's so much easier to just count your calories honestly *every* day and try to hit your macros...things will sort themselves out as you go along...why join the "all or nothing" camp? :ohwell:

I agree... I tried doing that before.... and I end up gaining the weight back..... again everyone is different.
    As do most people. Including calorie counters.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    But...but....but.... Christmas cookies.

Heh, that's what hit me too. And Thanksgiving pie.

I've actually been thinking about how to deal with the holiday season already, so maybe that's why it's where my mind went (I am going to try to take Advent more seriously than usual this year, and I don't mean the calendars with the chocolates), but even if I were inclined to forswearing instead of moderation the time of year wouldn't work for me.

But good luck, OP.
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Wow, I say congrats to you!! I completely understand where your coming from, I have the same issue with sweets. I'm not much of a candy person but cookies, cake...carby sweets are my down fall. I cut all processed sugar from my diet 3 weeks ago. It was very difficult at first but I actually don't crave it at all anymore. I haven't actually made a goal date for how long I've given sweets up but I'm thinking that I'll try for the end of October(to see if I can by pass Halloween).

I use stevia to sweeten coffee and my morning smoothies and that's it. No honey, no processed foods with sugar in it...nothing.

Good luck to you, stay strong!!
  • Bl0ndeBecky
    Options
    I think I'll jump on too!! I'm just like you and whenever there is a sweet food in the house I eat it!! (assuming it's vegan, of course...) I want an entire 5? months last year with no added sugars, but I recently started using them again. As for the guy above that said he keeps his total carbs close to 20, WHAT? did I read something, wrong??? My daily carbs never go under 300....

And just remember to eat all the FRUIT you want because our brains and body DO still run on natural glucose!!

Best of luck to everyone!!
    ~Becky