Weight Loss Surgery

Options
I'm 26 years old and I've been fat since I learned self awareness! I've been trying to lose weight (just started MFP a few days ago) and my doctor and I talked about gastric bypass surgery last year. I got approved!! I have my final consultation in May and will have the surgery without a doubt by the end of the year.

If you were given the opportunity to have weight loss surgery would you take it?

I am over the moon about getting approved and such. I can't help but feel that people will see it as "the easy way out." even though it's anything but.

What are your opinions on the surgery?

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is harder for some than others. Honestly, if they had a pill to take that actually worked, I'd SOO take it! And really, after the surgery and when you start losing weight and feeling better about yourself, you'll make better food choices and usually are inclined to be more active. I say..it's a win win. My only caution that I worry about is how to get all the nutrients you need daily when your tummy is shrunk so much so that you can't eat that much? Do you take lots of vitamins?
  • PapaPolarBear
    Options
    it isn't an easy way out, i know people that have had gastric bypass or the lapband surgery. It's simply a tool to help you. If you do not follow the rules that go along with it you will make yourself extremely uncomfortable and it won't work.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Let me be frank with you.. Does it really matter what others think as long as you are getting healthy. This is about pleasing yourself, and making the best of you.. Don't worry about what the others think or even say, do it for YOU!!!!!!

I actually checked into and went to a couple of counseling sessions, but decided I didn't want to have to deal with the side effects of the surgery. I have an Aunt that done 2 years ago, she lost the weight but is so limited on what she can eat now. She throws up just about everything. And she has said if she could do it all over again she would not have it. So I thought about what she said and others I know who have had the surgery.. Decided it just wasn't for me...To each their own...
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have typically chosen the most "natural" route when making health decisions. It took me almost a year to "retrain" myself on how to cook, shop, eat, etc . . . . but it can be done.
    This is such a personal choice that it is hard for anyone to "put themselves in your shoes". Please do a ton of research, try to talk to people who have had this procedure to get a good thorough list of pros and cons to help you make the best decision for you.
  • shadowofnature
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin, b complex and omega 3s. I've been told that I would have to add a vitamin C to that and then I should be fine. From everything I've read and what my doctor has told me the hardest thing is for people to get enough protein.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    you have to do what is best for you....and for some people that is it. I personally wouldn't do it...Ive heard about all the complications and i know 2 people that had it done...one had amazing results...the other one none....but its your decision....and you should do what makes you happy. As for me im doing it the old fashioned way....cutting calories and exercise and its working.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey....whichever way you do it.....:drinker:
  • KellyS0828
    KellyS0828 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You have to do what is right for you, and not worry about what others think. I will tell you as a surgical nurse, who has taken care of these patients, it is a lot of work and commitment that goes along with it. Just make sure that you are mentally prepared and dedicated to doing whatever you have to do to make it work. As long as you are aware of what goes along with the surgery, and ready to do commit, you should do great. Good luck to you!!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    A part of me wants to say "easy way out" and another part is saying.."do the work to get the weight off". There are no quick fixes out there. There's a contestant on the Biggest Loser this season who gained all the weight back after his surgery (he's on the green team). My mother in law had gastric bypass after losing 100lbs. When she told me that, I thought.."if you lost that much on your own, why not continue it?". She had the surgery plus a tummy tuck almost 3 years ago. She did lose the weight but gained some of it back..maybe 30lbs. Another lady I knew had the surgery and did well until she got pregnant. She gained a total of 60lbs and hasn't gotten rid of it. To each is their own. If that's what you want, it shouldn't matter what people think about it.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I have typically chosen the most "natural" route when making health decisions. It took me almost a year to "retrain" myself on how to cook, shop, eat, etc . . . . but it can be done.
    This is such a personal choice that it is hard for anyone to "put themselves in your shoes". Please do a ton of research, try to talk to people who have had this procedure to get a good thorough list of pros and cons to help you make the best decision for you.

lUTZSHER...I agree with you. I have had 2 friends do the surgery thinking it was the "cure" only to find out they can't eat what they wanted and soon they started putting the weight back on and now 1 weighs more then before her surgery. Do your research first!
    Good Luck,
    Mary
  • brenstep
    brenstep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had thought about that too but, I just don't think it is right for me. Everyone makes up their own mind about things like that. I just don't like what a person is like after the surgery. Did they tell you anything about what you have to eat like after the surgery? You are going to have to be very careful. Whatever you do, don't try to eat bread first or you may feel like being sick. It is just too heavy. Make sure you ask all the questions on what to expect after the surgery. You want the truth. Not for someone to soft coat everything. Ask and see if there is anyone who has gone through it before and see if you can talk to them. It may be the right thing for you but, just get all the facts first so you know yourself what to expect. I do wish you the best. If you decide to go through with it I really do want it to work for you the way it should.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have an Aunt who had the surgery and swears by it. She's super changed though - she eats healthy all the time and is a big time runner now :)

I also have a friend who opted out of the surgery because of all the side effects.

I agree with the previous posters, do your research!! Talk to psychologists, people who have had the surgery etc. Make the decision for you and you only :) Everyone is different!
  • Waynes_World
    Options
    I had the lap band surgery done 2 months ago. So far it has worked out great for me with no problems so far.. Knock on wood lol.. It is a nice tool to have but if you dont follow the diet and exercise plan you will not have great success. I have lost 53 pounds since my surgery. I thought I would have had a hard time giving up pop, beer and other things but it hasnt been to bad so far. Good luck with what ever you decide ;}
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I had lapband in 2008 adn even though I have not lost all my weight yet it was still the right decision for me. I would suggest that you start making your lifestyle changes now even if little by little. Like start exercising now so that it will be easier later. The other thing would be to see if your doctor office has a support group that you can start attending. I know that you have not had the surgery yet but you can hear any issues that others are having and how to handle them if you ever come accros them. And it will give advance knowledge of what to expect. I think that it will be great for you as long as you are mentally prepared for the surgery.
  • manon1
    manon1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Surgery is not the "easy way out" and anyone who says it is, hasn't had surgery. Please look into the vertical sleeve before you make your decision. There is less of a chance that the new stomach will stretch and far fewer side effects. Additionally, it removes the portion of the stomach that makes the so-called "hunger hormone" ghrelin. If you've been overweight since forever, I encourage you to do more research and go for it!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    By no means do I think it's an easy way. But it's a potentially dangerous way. I know four people who've had it.

One just had it yesterday, after not being able to lose weight any other way, and her weight was affecting her breathing and blood sugar.

One is doing well, and has lost about 70-80 pounds since June, but doesn't exercise. She couldn't exercise before the surgery because her knees were too shot. She'll likely need surgery on them as well.

One is doing very poorly. Can't keep any food down at all. Has been hospitalized many times. Now about 20 pounds under weight. Always sick.

And the last one was doing as poorly as the one above, but died a few years ago. She was in her early 40s. :cry:

I'd say keep it in the back of your mind as an option, but do your darnedest to not need it. It's a win-win situation, really. The healthier you get before the surgery, the better you'll do.
  • shadowofnature
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!
    I think all of these replies touched on all my fears about the surgery including pregnancy afterwards! I think I will just start making a list of questions to ask in May. How long can a list get in 3 months? =)
  • manon1
    manon1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I also highly recommend going to Obesityhelp.com. There are boards there of thousands of people who have had WLS, including those who are pregnant afterward and those who have had MAJOR problems. With vertical sleeve, you can certainly get pregnant after and there aren't nearly the side effects of RNY because there's no malabsorption, just restriction.