Women diagnosed with PCOS

Options
Just wondering how many women are on MFP that have been diagnosed with PCOS. I know it's a pain in the butt to lose weight when your hormones are out of whack.

I was also wondering if anyone has tried the low sugar diet to try to lose weight.

Thanks!

Replies

• manon1
    manon1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago. In the last year, the pounds absolutely would not come off, no matter what I did (probably because I was turning 40 and my metabolism, such as it was, was coming to a crashing stall). I ended up going with vertical sleeve gastrectomy in October and have since lost 60 lbs. I eat VERY few carbs (mostly veggies) and really push protein.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I do find it a bit harder to lose weight--I've never done a low-sugar diet, but I've heard low-sugar/low-carb works really well for people with PCOS--I just don't have that much willpower! Good luck!
  • natsplat_20
    natsplat_20 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. Have always found losing weight difficult. I am currently taking metformin to try to regulate my cycles. The doctos thinks that with a low calorie diet i should be able to lose some.
  • krenee425
    Options
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago... I have since tried several different diets and exercises but this time I'm trying to just stick with something.

I noticed that I really do have to workout almost every day and work hard to eat the right foods. I joined a 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels) group and I try to do some elliptical and also Gilad's Beginners Weight Loss and Toning Program DVD (which I did see results even though it took a lot longer).

Good luck and don't give up.
  • mjanet
    mjanet Posts: 54
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with PCOS, doctor said to stay away from processed food and simple sugars. I was put on Metformin 2000mg a day (2 weeks ago) and that seems to help the pounds come off.

Haven't tried the diet you mentioned. Let me know how that goes.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year. I am not on any medications. I sometimes have a difficult time losing weight and sometimes I don't.

My endocrinologist put me on a 1200 calorie a day diet. He said I can eat whatever I want as long as it fits in the 1200 calories. I do it somedays, its hard.

Last Tuesday I started Herbalife and have lost 4lbs since then and have not worked out.

We need to stay together and support each other and beat this PCOS!!!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had two doctors in three days tell me I was too heavy and that losing weight would be the best thing I could do to try to deminish the symptoms of PCOS. It's been 9 years now. I was put on birth control when I was 16...MAN that made a difference.
    I really feel bad for the young girls that havent been diagnosed. I always thought I was just the hairy fat girl....I wish I would have known so I could have fixed it sooner. I think the birth control helped me lose some of the weight. I've lost around 60 all together. I also eat around 1200 calories a day.

Nice to know I'm not alone :)
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    That is great you didn't gain weight when you went on the pill. A lot of women do. My dr was going to put me on it but he was scared I would gain weight so he didn't.

Do you think it would make a difference if I was on it?
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos last year too.... balled my eyes out haha the main upsetting thing for me was wondering whether ill ever be able to have kids.... im also on the pill. keeps periods regular (probs doesnt help with weight) but i want kids someday... trying to lose 30kgs so fingers crossed!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people here with PCOS! I'm one of them (one of us).

I was diagnosed in 2007, and I really want to get my weight down to get the symptoms under control.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi Girls,

I too have PCOS.... Was diagnosed in 2008....

The weight crept up from there really (not blaming PCOS, as the pizza's, currys, chocolate all played a part!)

Im not trying any specific diet, just 1200 per day and as much exercise as possible....

Good luck to all! :)
  • sassyfied
    Options
    Hands up from another fat, hairy and hormonal girl:)
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but, I am fat and hairy, apparently my genetics are just screwed up :(

I have had testing and ultrasounds. I sometimes wish I had a reason for the hormonal hair and the like, but I guess I can't wish too hard. would be horrible to live with womb problems.
  • thepurplestar
    thepurplestar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Another one here, I was diagnosed in 1993 and have pretty much every crappy syptom going at one time or another.

Weight loss is really hard, and weight gain so v easy- can put a stone on in just a few days of eating what my husband eats. Eating low GI or low carb is the only way I've ever lost or maintained any weight. Am currently doing a low-cal low gi plan, and when life doesn't get in the way, it's working quite well for me.