Les Mills Body Pump Question

Options
So, I do Zumba at Gold's and tried Les Mills Body Combat yesterday. I liked Body Combat as a change of pace and definitely feel it today. But I keep hearing about Body Pump and how great it is for strengthening and toning. My concern is this: I just hit 50 and had bilateral hip replacement surgery in 2013 due to genetic arthritis. I slowly integrated working back into my life with water aerobics. (LOVE, but just not enough burn) I've been doing Zumba for a few months now, but geezus, I CANNOT get this weight off.

Can I do Body Pump without too much risk to my prostheses? I can't torque inwards which could cause the joint to pop out. I worry about squats and exercises like that. Anybody have anything to offer on this?

Thanks-

Replies

• pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Talk to your instructor before class starts. She knows what she'll be doing & can offer you modifications.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    How is your eating? Are you accurately tracking all your food (i.e. weighing your food) and staying at a deficit?

Working out is great, but really all you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. If you are stuck at a plateau, I would look to your diet, and see what you can improve in that regard first.
  • All4Me2014xx
    All4Me2014xx Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor about the stress the prostheses can tolerate. The instructor would have good input for just starting out and modification of some exercises, but your doctor would be the best option for determining what the implants can handle.
  • Superpook
    Superpook Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I find that the instructors don't offer much and I can't expect them to really. They just say that I can modify any exercise as I need to feel comfortable and to stop if I feel any pain. I think this is all they can say without getting into liability issues.

AllOut- I'm tracking food, though I'm not as religious about it as I should be. I'm at a calorie deficit on many days, though. I workout because I enjoy it and I need it. It feels good to me and it's always been a part of my life. Plus, I want to be as strong as I can be.

All4, the prostheses I'm using are ceramic and the doc says I'll probably have to have the surgery again in 20 years. (!!!!) He told me not to run anymore, or ski, or rollerskate. Nothing with repetitive impact like running or anything that runs the risk of me falling and popping them out of joint.