Quest bars...are they healthy??

Options

Replies

• mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I love quest bars. They are one of the couple on the market that I feel are clean. But I do think they are a bit high in sodium.

Like mentioned above, a few seconds in the microwave and they are awesome.
  • 1HappyTurtleRunner
    Options
    I like my quest bars.

Heat in microwave on some wax paper, for about 11 - 13 seconds.

I am going to try this, Thanks!
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I eat one or two a day. I love the taste, it helps me stay closer to my Protein Macro... My goal so far is Losing Weight - That is being accomplished. I will switch to gain at 180, and plan to keep one in the mix
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Where can these bars be purchased? They are not in my local grocery stores or Trader Joe's. Thanks!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to Quest bars. They fit into my calorie goals but I'm just afraid I'll turn into one, more than anything.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Where can these bars be purchased? They are not in my local grocery stores or Trader Joe's. Thanks!

GNC is usually a good place if you just want to try one or two to see what you think. The best prices for boxes of 12 are usually places like Amazon. I get mine from an Ebay seller but not everyone trusts Ebay.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

GNC is usually a good place if you just want to try one or two to see what you think. The best prices for boxes of 12 are usually places like Amazon. I get mine from an Ebay seller but not everyone trusts Ebay.

Thank you!!
  • bvar1
    bvar1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I got mine from hi-health!
  • bvar1
    Options
    I like my quest bars.

Heat in microwave on some wax paper, for about 11 - 13 seconds.

I love 'em in the microwave!
  • bvar1
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all your input! I'm not a nutrition guru in the least so I wasn't sure. Thank you.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love them and they have 2 grams of sugar!!!
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I really hate quest bars... they taste like chemical stuff to me D:

My favorite go to bar in between classes are eat nakd bars :)
    they come in 10 flavors, my personal favorite is cashew cookie or brownie delight.
    They are wholesome and contain maybe tops 6 ingredients and are primarily things like nuts, cocoa, dates that sort of thing depending on the bar.

I haven't tried there other products I do know they have protein ones and such now, but I find the orginal filling as is!
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I usually have one each weekday while at work as a mid-day snack, and if I am traveling I will take some with me. However, my digestive system doesn't like for me to have more than one a day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    One other thing to consider with them and what I have started doing.

Is if I have one, I total up the macros, and calculate the calories based on that.
    So like the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough one is like 190 cals
    But the macros total 240.
    So I do a quick add of 50 calories
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,367 Member
    Options
    I have just bought a mixed pack of 12 so I can try all the flavours. The cookies with cream isn't in it.:cry:

I have bought them because I am very hypoglycemic and can't go too long between meals. We are due to do a lot of travelling and most easily available nutrition will be high carb and calorie. I thought these might save me from a pain chocolat or a big sub. I plan to pop one in my handbag every morning to save me from myself.

I bought them from Amazon. :ohwell:
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Is if I have one, I total up the macros, and calculate the calories based on that.

You may be doing yourself a disservice there (cause I think you are bulking?). The issue comes down to whether the fiber is insoluble (i.e., whether your body can break down the fiber for the energy, or whether it passes through your system). There is a some debate around Quest bars and the extent to which the included Isomalto-Oligosaccharides are insoluble or not (and a lawsuit). IIRC, fiber as a carb has to be listed as a carb, but the calorie count total from carbs is based on soluable carbs. Not proclaiming I know the definitive answer re: Quest bars (and I like 'em on occasion and used to eat more of them but just sort of fell out of the habit), but if you're bulking and trying hard to gain weight, you may be overestimating your effective calorie intake if you're doing this with these bars and other fiber-rich foods.

TL;DR Version: I'm worried you may be sabotaging your gainzzz!
  • MityMax96
    Options

You may be doing yourself a disservice there (cause I think you are bulking?). The issue comes down to whether the fiber is insoluble (i.e., whether your body can break down the fiber for the energy, or whether it passes through your system). There is a some debate around Quest bars and the extent to which the included Isomalto-Oligosaccharides are insoluble or not (and a lawsuit). IIRC, fiber as a carb has to be listed as a carb, but the calorie count total from carbs is based on soluable carbs. Not proclaiming I know the definitive answer re: Quest bars (and I like 'em on occasion and used to eat more of them but just sort of fell out of the habit), but if you're bulking and trying hard to gain weight, you may be overestimating your effective calorie intake if you're doing this with these bars and other fiber-rich foods.

TL;DR Version: I'm worried you may be sabotaging your gainzzz!

Yeah I considered that stuff as well.....and the role fiber plays.

But I get enough trace calories from sauces I dont log (bbq, teriyaki, ketchup, etc..), so I compensate for those QuickAdds I put in.....
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    why not just make your own. it is so easy and so much healthier. and you make and freeze them.
  • bvar1
    Options

Hmm, never heard this before. Would you mind explaining how that works? In that case I may be consuming more cals then I think and sabotaging myself that way.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Hmm, never heard this before. Would you mind explaining how that works? In that case I may be consuming more cals then I think and sabotaging myself that way.

Chocoloate Chip cookie Dough is listed as:
    190 calories on the label.
    But Macros are:
    Prot = 21 gr == 84 calories
    Carb = 21 gr == 84 calories
    Fat = 8 gr == 72 calories
    Total Calories == 240 calories.