Fitness band suggestions please!!

Options
Hello everyone!!! I'm new to working out and staying fit. I really want to get a fitness tracker band of some sort. I've seen so many different kinds and have no idea which I should get.

This is what I want in a fitness tracker
Calorie count
Step count
Heart rate monitor (No chest strap)
Alert if non active too long
COLOR VARIETY
Tracks sleep and wakes you up (Optional)
DURABLE

I've read tons of reviews on Amazon and am still stuck. Any suggestions/reviews?

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love my bodymedia fit. Most people use fitbit b/c it doesn't require a service fee, but I find it's worth it and I like it waaaay better than my fitbit. The BMF does all of the things you're looking for (except you can't wear it in water, doesn't alert you). They don't nessesary have different colors, but they do have skins and different bands you can purchase separately. I paid out of pocket $95 for mine, plus I paid ninety for two years of service. Big fee, but IMO it keeps me honest with myself. It's worth the investment if you ask me.

FYI, I don't think there are ANY bands on the market that wakes you up (but BMF does track sleep). Just use your alarm clock! :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This thread is good......

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1443201-fitness-devices-garmin-polar-bodymedia-etc-ask-me?hl=ask&page=1#posts-21552559

I have 2 devices:

FitBit One - this is a fancy pedometer that tracks steps, stairs, sleep. Silent alarm can wake me up. If my workout is step based then it's not too bad in the calorie estimation arena. I log into a website (no monthly fee) and I can sync it here with MFP. I can view calories and lots of other things on my "Dashboard".....I can get details about eating, sleep, & weight also.

Polar FT4 - basic heart rate monitor with a chest strap. Chest strap models are reported to be WAY more accurate than wrist only models. Problems with wrist only....moving arms messes up count, having to stop when taking pulse, taking pulse is once in awhile. But, heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio.....if you're looking for other calorie burns....you're stuck with other on-line estimators.

Both are durable....not waterproof. FitBit Ones are discrete, I can wear them under my clothes. But the "smallness" has disadvantages. If you lose a FitBit....go to the website to find a tracker of sorts.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know that there is one with a HRM feature that does not require a chest strap?

There are a # of fitness trackers out there. Fitbit One, Fitbit Flex, Jawbone Up, Polar Loop, Vivofit, etc.

I have a Fitbit One and like it. Wear it clipped to my waist or pocket. No heart rate monitor. Hubby got (about 2 weeks ago) a Polar Loop. Its wrist worn, which I'm not big on, but if I didn't already have the One: I'd get the Loop. It can be worn w/ a chest HRM from Polar for more accurate calorie count during cardio. Counts steps, miles, etc. Instead of a step goal, Hubby sets an activity level goal. And throughout the day it shows where he is in reaching the goal and what he can do to meet it. Like it may say to jog for 30 minutes or walk for 55 or run for 20. Its also water proof, where other models/brands are water resistant or less.
  • ThePinkPanda
    ThePinkPanda Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love my bodymedia fit. Most people use fitbit b/c it doesn't require a service fee, but I find it's worth it and I like it waaaay better than my fitbit. The BMF does all of the things you're looking for (except you can't wear it in water, doesn't alert you). They don't nessesary have different colors, but they do have skins and different bands you can purchase separately. I paid out of pocket $95 for mine, plus I paid ninety for two years of service. Big fee, but IMO it keeps me honest with myself. It's worth the investment if you ask me.

FYI, I don't think there are ANY bands on the market that wakes you up (but BMF does track sleep). Just use your alarm clock! :)

+ 1 for the body media fit. i love mine and it seems like it would do most of what you're looking for. plus, mine came with a 6 month free trial of their service but i'm not sure if they still offer that.
  • emmacken
    emmacken Posts: 161 Member
    Options

The Fitbit Flex can wake you up. I have mine set to go off during the work week and it wakes you up by vibrating. It meets all of the OP's needs except having a HRM. I've had mine for a little under two months and it's been great. There are different wrist band options and it's water resistant. I found it a little annoying to charge at first because I didn't like taking it off, but I realized I can charge it in the car when I commute, so now there are no problems. I love my fitbit!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I have a sony smart band, I got it with a new phone so it was cheap (I wouldnt have gotten it otherwise as I wasnt really looking for a fitness tracker) It DOES have a wake up option and I use it daily, it claims to wake you up in a light part of your sleep cycle though I dont know how that works, it lets you pick a time (between 630 and 7) and it will slowly wake you up inbetween those times. it also tracks a variety of other stuff and the app for it is free.
  • van692
    van692 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would advise staying away from the Bodymedia products at this point. I've was using the Bodymedia Link for about the last 2 years. Awhile back the Bodymedia company was bought by Jawbone and since then there hasn't been any sort of updates to the program and support has really been lacking. For instance the strap for mine broke at the beginning of this month. I placed an order for a new strap on 9/3 and the website said it would ship in 5-10 business days (which the site still says). It's now 9/26 (17 business days later if my count is correct) and it has yet to ship. I contacted their support 3 days ago and although they were nice enough to give me credit for the monthly service charge since I'm not able to use my band they were not able to tell me if/when the new strap would ship. Looking at their Facebook page and the Mobile App reviews I see I am far from the only person that's been having issues the last few months.

I've been looking at replacing my band for the last 2-3 months. Garmin just came out with a new Vivosmart band, but looking at the reviews on the Best Buy site it sounds like most people are having severe issues with it as well. However, their somewhat older Vivofit band seems to get pretty good reviews. However, both of the Garmin products require a chest strap if you want the heart rate. In fact, I haven't seen many products at all that have a built-in heart rate sensor. The only one I see with any promise on that is the Apple Watch that is due to come out next year (and requires an iPhone), but that has yet to be tested/reviewed anywhere that I've found.

If I were to really need to purchase something right now I'd probably go with the Garmin Vivofit. Otherwise, if you can wait a bit rumors are that a new Fitbit wristband is in the works and people are expecting it to be announced in the next couple months and be ready to holiday shopping time. Their last product (Fitbit Force) got great reviews, but was recalled due to some skin sensitivity issues some people were having. Fitbit still offers their older models (Fitbit Flex, Fitbit One, etc), but those seems to be lacking in some of the features I've been hoping to get.

Whichever way you decide to go I'd definitely recommend reading through plenty of reviews from different sources before making a decision since most of the fitness bands can be somewhat costly and there's tons of different options out there.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options

The Fitbit Flex can wake you up. I have mine set to go off during the work week and it wakes you up by vibrating. It meets all of the OP's needs except having a HRM. I've had mine for a little under two months and it's been great. There are different wrist band options and it's water resistant. I found it a little annoying to charge at first because I didn't like taking it off, but I realized I can charge it in the car when I commute, so now there are no problems. I love my fitbit!

I haven't used an alarm clock (i.e. My phone) since I got my JawboneUp 24. It also tell me to get my butt up and move during the day.
  • Rogue_Rahl
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I know the chest strap is better but I don't want to wear that all the time. Especially when I work out...I sweat like a little piggy lol
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I know the chest strap is better but I don't want to wear that all the time. Especially when I work out...I sweat like a little piggy lol

A chest strap with a HRM is just for workouts. Wearing it around during the day is rather pointless.

Anyway, the strap is worn under your bra so it's hardly noticeable. The strap portion (not the sensor) is washable.
  • Rogue_Rahl
    Options
    I did not know that! Thank you, I would have worn it all day. I feel special now. I'm still no unsure about what I want to get. I know I want it on my wrist and colorful. The biggest thing is tracking calories lost for me. Any input would be greatly appreciated